3.0l remap no bottom end torque

hatetherig

I recently had a remap done on my 3.0l 2008 manual A5 and the first thing I noticed is the low end torque is no longer there! from idle to 2000rpm the engine is pretty flat, once you hit 2000rpm the acceleration is awesome. I've run it in for severaal hundred miles now and only use BP super diesel, I also just had the diesel filters etc changed.

The car is definetly way quicker than it was but only when the engine is over 2000rpm

Is this common with the remap???

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Who did the remap?

It would probably be worth talking to Ben at Shark performance.

The only reason I can think of for reducing the torque at low RPM would be to protect the Dual Mass Flywheel, and/or Gearbox, from high torque loads.

Or possibly it may even be a placebo effect, given the extra power higher up, it might just not feel as quick lower down.

It depends on the map, they can by quite different and offer varying gains which in turn have their own negatives. Some maps are designed to give linear power from low down in the rev range and some are designed to give a high top end enhancement.

Most people opt for the map with the highest quoted bhp increase, in many cases this will have an affect on low down performance. Always do as much research as you can and choose a map that suites your driving style.

I like low down pull so would personally always choose a map that offered the increase lower in the rev range over bragging rights down the pub.

My local garage done the remap, they took the ECU out and sent it away.

So if I were to send the ECU back again do you think it could be remapped to bring back the lower end pull, but still have the added torque and bhp?

Thanks

It depends on the company and how many maps they offer for your car and if they have one that suits what your looking for. Others may correct me but its pretty rare these days to map a car in the way you have.

Normally the company will come to you or you would take the car to their workshop. The ecu will not be removed, instead your car will be hooked up to a computer and the map transferred that way. Some companies will then put your car on a rolling road (before and after map) to make sure everything is as should be.

There are various generic maps out there for each model but some companies will taylor make one for your needs if required.

As I said before others can give better advice but be wary of anyone wanting to remove your ecu.

Sometimes it is necessary to remove the ECU, as certain ECU's, particularly some of the newer ones, can only be mapped on a bench, but the tuners are steadily finding ways around this.

As I said above, your better off talking to someone that really knows what they are talking about, Ben will hopefully be along shortly if he spots the thread.

They had to send the ECU away because the software they had wouldnt fit the port due to some added security audi had fitted.

I've just been doing some time comparisons with the car compared to how it was before it got mapped. The car is slower now than before the remap when it is tested between two set speeds eg, 50mph to 70mph doing it in 5th gear so the revs are low and not having the same lower end pull as before makes this time slower.

But it is faster than standard when being tested between two speeds in a lower gear so the revs are higher, say 30mph to 70mph starting in 2nd, (engine is sitting at 3000rpm at 30mph in 2nd gear) I was impressed with that time, it was 5.2 secs.

I'm just trying to find out with other A5 3.0l owners that have had a remap if there cars are the same?

How is it a pretty useless comparison?

I am comparing the times of the same car going between two set speeds in different gears before and after it's remap.

And have notised that when tested between speeds in higher gears therefore the revs lower, the car is slower than it was before the remap.

However

when tested between speeds in lower gears therefore the revs are higher, the car is faster than it was before the remap.

What I am trying to find out is. Is this normal? Or can I have the remap tweaked so that I still have some torque pull at low revs.

Well all remaps aren't created equally so one remapped A5 can be quite different to another remapped A5. You really need to compare like to like, so knowing what remap you have on yours would give you the chance to compare to another A5 with the same remap.

Comparing your remap with A.N.Other remap might not give anything meaningful. Say the other remap is designed to give low down grunt, it's different behavior to what yours sounds like so the comparison is pretty much useless.

Is this normal? Or can I have the remap tweaked so that I still have some torque pull at low revs.

No, it doesn't sound normal at all.

Whether or not you can have the specific remap tweaked depends on who actually did the remapping.

There are a lot of "tuners" out there who just get hold of generic remaps and there are a lot of remaps for diesels that do nothing more than chuck in a load more fuel, without making any compensation for the need to increase the air volume proportionate to the extra fuel being injected - more often than not by just changing the max boost pressure. If your car smokes more than it used to when you floor it hard (even with a DPF, turbo diesels smoke) then it's likely that the fuelling isn't right.

Your garage that applied the remap - are they a tuner, a remapping company, a normal garage? Ask the garage that applied the remap to tell you which company actually wrote the remap. They shouldn't have any problem in telling you this, unless it's a one-man shop doing remaps from his bedroom. Yes, this is very, very common, which is why you have to be careful.

OK, so you've spent your money. But if you're not happy with the remap, take it back and ask to have it removed and for a refund, then talk to a recommended remapping company, like Shark Performance in Nottinghamshire, AutoPS in Oxfordshire or AmD in Essex. I've used all three numerous times and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Yes, they might be a fair way from you, but it's worth getting a remap done properly.