Fitness thread - Q1/12

Soulboy

What do we think of this.

I've not really changed my routine of 5 days a week exercise with a mix of intervals but what I have done is give up caffeinated drinks - well, tea. I've not had a proper cuppa for 6 weeks now and have substituted for decaf green tea and after a plateau of weight loss I've started losing again. What's more, my running is improving too. I only run once a week but just nailed 10k in 45 mins which isn't bad for 90kg and no specific training (most of my training is canoeing). I've been quicker than that in the past but that was when I was in a running club and also training for marathons.

The only thing I can think of is an improvement to hydration levels after giving up the caffeine. I've read varying reports about green tea boosting metabolic rates - apparently no study has ever been done on humans - all the research that exists is experimented on animals.

You need a better gym.

I generally have the choice of watching the girlies in the pool, watching TV, or I can plug my iPhone in and watch films.

Generally, I do the pool watching and listen to music, though.

Nope, it's just gyms. I find them boring as fook. I'd rather be out and about than stuck in one place.

Well after the best part of 10 weeks off from regular exercise I've been out for my first 2 mile run this evening and I found it hard. However I would never of been able to do 20 mins non stop previously so hopefully not lost all momentum from before. Time to kick my ass into gear with 14 weeks or so until the wedding :uhoh:

I was out for a run last night too. About the same distance, doing the walk/run method. Slowing building up to where I was pre hernia. Tht run was ok but my calves were quite tight. Running in the rain was very refreshing!

I only run once a week but just nailed 10k in 45 mins which isn't bad for 90kg and no specific training (most of my training is canoeing). I've been quicker than that in the past but that was when I was in a running club and also training for marathons.

B@stard!

That's my next target. At 47 mins, but won't be getting anywhere nearer until this (IT band) injury clears up. I have a half marathon in eight weeks too.

What do we think of this.

I've not really changed my routine of 5 days a week exercise with a mix of intervals but what I have done is give up caffeinated drinks - well, tea. I've not had a proper cuppa for 6 weeks now and have substituted for decaf green tea and after a plateau of weight loss I've started losing again. What's more, my running is improving too. I only run once a week but just nailed 10k in 45 mins which isn't bad for 90kg and no specific training (most of my training is canoeing). I've been quicker than that in the past but that was when I was in a running club and also training for marathons.

The only thing I can think of is an improvement to hydration levels after giving up the caffeine. I've read varying reports about green tea boosting metabolic rates - apparently no study has ever been done on humans - all the research that exists is experimented on animals.

Green Tea is well known for it's benefits for health and weight loss. Most of the "Fat strippers" (not those kind of strippers) on sale have green tea in them. Drinking green tea also means your "not" drinking other tea or coffee which in turn may help. I'm not great with dairy and the Mrs insists on having full fat milk, a few cuppas a day and the fat from the milk adds up. Caffeine could be useful 45 minues before a run but is not essential if you have a well balanced diet.

Well, I have porridge each day which is made up of milk so I'd sort of discounted the idea it was a lactose thing I was benefitting from. Milk is always semi skimmed too.

Maybe it is down to me finally getting the start of a good paddling technique!

Semi-skimmed? Pfft, you chubbster. Skimmed all the way for me :)

The other half has decided to start eating gluten free because she's read some stuff about the digestive benefits and she says she feels much better for it and lost a few pounds. I don't know if anyone else eats the same or has done any reading around it?

• 1 month later...

Bit of an Update, i have managed to get myself a tennis elbow when i pushed it a bit too far with front straight arm shoulder raises with dumbells. This was about 2 months ago and i can still barely lift a glass of water holding it palm down as it pulls on the tendons.

Im doing physio now for it and have been resting it for a month as ive been fasting in Ramadan and next week im off back to the gym and try to avoid anything that might strain it. Ive actually missed going to the gym these past 4 weeks which is a good sign! :)

Luckily when benching, pushing up with the weight on my palms I'm cool as it doesn't affect the tendon I've managed to damage.

Will see what the crack is when I go back into the gym. I can do push ups just fine at the moment so should restrict me too much.

Also cheers! +++ Eid celebrations are well under way! Just a shame my eyes are bigger than my shrunken stomach at the mo! :P

I have come to a decision this week.

Before I found beer and ciggies, I used to be a reasonable club athlete. Even ran for my county at under 18 level.

If my cardiologist gives the all clear, I'm getting involved in teheran British Masters Athletic Federation. They organise age grouped events for older athletes... Starting with 35 and above, then increasing in 5 year intervals.

I'm 38 now, so my aim is to compete in the over 40s category the season after next. Ultimate aim is to go to the European Championships.

I used to do the 100m in 10.9 secs, if I can do a sub 12 now, then I'd qualify for an over 40s Euro final.

• 2 weeks later...

After some time off training with dodgy knees and post op hernia blues, I've managed to get myself pretty sorted (with help from my local physio). So this week I've done a 15 mile mtb ride after work on Tuesday and did the next run on my get running app tonight. All feels good, if a little sore from lack of regular exercise. Will be out again on Saturday or Sunday for another mtb ride. Be good to get back as fit as I was earlier this year.

Congrats on that Luke.

As i have just found its bloody hard to get back into the swing of things (body wise rather than mentally) when you have been out for a substantial time.

This week was my first full week back at the gym after a month off for Ramadan and i only did 2 reps with lighter weights on every part of my body and needless to say 4 days on im still in pain but have been working through it. Got back on the treadmill too with interval jogging and im feeling better for it. :)

Luke, what's the running app you've got?

Check out this application on the App Store:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]mzm.picmyewn.170x170-75.jpg [/TD]

[TD][h=1]Get Running (Couch to 5K)[/h]Benjohn Barnes

Category: Health & Fitness

Updated: 21 Mar 2011

• rating-star.png
  • rating-star.png
  • rating-star.png
  • rating-star.png
  • rating-star.png

1353 Ratingsview_item_button.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]iOS Applications[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]Please note that you have not been added to any email lists.

Copyright © 2012 iTunes S.à r.l.All rights reserved

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It's the best app I've used for getting fit. 1353, 5 star ratings can't be wrong. Try it, it's great.

22 miles, I long for doing that distance :roflmao:

100k!! :eek: never going to happen.

My knee is rather sore still (i think) from the 8 miles I did last week, not sure if i've tweaked something or it's just so completely unused to that kind of exercise. Just below and to the right of my knee cap on the right leg the area is all numb and when kneel down I get a burning sensation, going to stick to a couple of lunch time walks over the next couple of days and see if it calms down.

Did 100km yesterday on the bike with a mate who is very cycling fit. Fine for 90k, went amusingly backwards for the last 10k! Sense of humour failure as we went up another sodding hill. Can't wait for next week!

You might as well give up the fly commute and ride the bike up, if you leave at 17:00 on a Friday at 20 kmph, you should get to Edinburgh for Sunday lunch.

Positives, save wedge and get fit.

Andrew you mostly seem normal, then you ruin it by posting distance ride details and the odd jaunt along the Thames in a boat. You will wear out :grin:

• bison unpinned this topic