Fitness thread - Q1/12

Soulboy

Im staying at my B-in-L. He lives just outside Brecon in a little village. Should get a couple of rides in and a few visits to the pub. Just by luck the local pub has England v France on at 5pm Saturday. Great timing. Also got a massage booked on Friday with a lady who is unbelievable good at her job. At times you're almost in tears, it hurts that much. But the next day it's unbelievable. The old back is a bit lumpy.

• 5 months later...

Personal milestone for me on the bike today with my first century (miles, 100km is 'normal' for a decent weekend ride). Pleased with my average speed, although the last 15 miles were hard going. First time I've ever been pleased that my youngest woke up at 5:30 as it meant I was out on the road early enough to get back before it became too hot. Still chuffing warm though...

48925d1373721965-fitness-thread-q1-12-ride.jpg

post-13100-137914500664_thumb.jpg

17.9 mph is fantastic over 100 miles in this heat!! Nice early start meant you didn't have to stop at junctions for long by the looks of your moving / elapsed time. How on earth you manage max cadence of 239 rpm!?! :D

Cav averaged 47.2 kph (30 mph) from gun to finish in yesterdays 173 km TDF stage, that's frickin mental

Yes, the roads were pretty much empty right until N'pton so had a good run. Few stops for food (hate eating on the move) and getting bottle re-fills.

The cadence might come from when I get the pedals horizontal on the downhills. Sensor is on the chainstay.

Know what you mean about the pro riders. It's astounding the speeds they average.

• 8 months later...

I've just registered for the Caerphilly 10k.

Really struggling with ParkRun at the moment - just can't break the 31 minutes and I got some fairly major angina pains trying to beat it last week.

I'm sure it'll come, but it's frustrating not really making much progress, whilst fellow runners are knocking tens of seconds off times, and in one case, has come from 38 minutes to 30.something in the same time it's taken me to get from 33.something to 31.something.

Mrs TS keeps reminding me it's a miracle that I'm out there doing it - but it doesn't help much.

Yesterday's ParkRun was interesting - I was on schedule for a 31.40-ish, then we got a sudden blizzard on the home straight, so my last 500m killed me - finally coming in at 32:45.

• bison unpinned this topic