Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riz

6 months with the Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion - real world figures.

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

thought I would post up a quick post on the Polo Bluemotion with some real world figures :grin:

I picked up the eco-beast on June 20th this year, brand new from Volkswagen in standard poverty spec but in 5 door guise.

Use it as my daily car, cover about 90 miles to work and back.

Technical specification:-

1.2 litre TDi

Acceleration (0-62 mph) - 13.9 secs

Maximum speed - 107 mph

Maximum power - 75ps @ 4200 rpm

Maximum torque - 133lbs.ft @ 2000 rpm

Urban - 67.3 mpg

Extra urban - 91.1 mpg

Combined 80.7 mpg

CO2 emissions - 91 g/km

CO2 emissions class - EURO 5

VED band - A

Insurance group - 9E

Having covered over 12,000 miles I can give nothing but praise as it does everything very well.

Pro's include cabin noise, design, build, sound system, interior design/finish, economy, image, comfort and steering.

Con's include price, fuel tank size, no xenon's and insurance

Nothing really bad to say about apart from it not's getting anywhere near the manufacturers economy ratings, below are the real world figures with half a tank of fuel still in the tank:-

From 20th June 2011

Until 23rd December 2011

Total miles covered 12,525

Total spent on diesel £1293.71 (£1.38 per litre)

Total litres used 934.33 litres

Total pence per mile 9.68p

Now working on all the above figure this equates to a real world mpg figure of 60.94mpg :o

On the MFD trip computer I see better figures from about 5,000 miles onwards as the car was still tight so this would need to be taken into consideration.

My MFD trip figures are as follows based on the last couple of weeks use.

70mph constant cruise for a 44 mile trip on the M1 = 70-75mpg

50mph constant cruise for a 4 mile trip on a dual carriageway = 75-85mpg + (more if a longer distance)

80mph constant cruise for a 44 mile trip on a private test track = 55-62mpg

All the above figures are very much affected by adverse windy weather too so you could see as much as 10mpg wiped off :eek:

5854253150_3baec28ceb.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854254052_f81edee694.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854254672_d4b9c6af78.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854255352_73f88f94d9.jpg

DSCF1268.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854256006_7be1694114.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853704349_1f026daf64.jpg

DSCF1273.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853707839_27d1b66e94.jpg

DSCF1282.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853709571_07aaa925aa.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853710305_dbbc20974f.jpg

DSCF1287.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853711363_939fa7f4ff.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854266330_c1bd72ed96.jpg

DSCF1292.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854266896_012b1081f0.jpg

DSCF1294.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5854267500_5cdc3a8202.jpg

DSCF1295.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

5853715213_53831d51e2.jpg

DSCF1296.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

Any comments or corrections welcome :D

Riz :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it but I would have thought the economy would be better. I've had my Rocco around the same time and done just over 10k miles and I'm averaging just over 50 mpg on my 60 mile daily commute. Performance is pretty good too.

...and if I'm totally honest I haven't missed the R32 as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm just getting old:roflmao:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it but I would have thought the economy would be better. I've had my Rocco around the same time and done just over 10k miles and I'm averaging just over 50 mpg on my 60 mile daily commute. Performance is pretty good too.

...and if I'm totally honest I haven't missed the R32 as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm just getting old:roflmao:

I too thought the economy would improve.... not sure really.... maybe its just the way I drive or the engines still not run in properly :(

Riz

Blimey, I could over halve my LCR fuel costs just runing one of these. And since the LCR is now only used for weekdays and work trips, seems mad not to really. I've not done the sums yet of car purchase vs. recovered spend on fuel but I bet in the real world it wouldn't make its money back until after about three years.

I too thought the economy would improve.... not sure really.... maybe its just the way I drive or the engines still not run in properly :(

Riz

As has been discussed many times before not convinced small engine is the best solution for economy apart from city driving. I drove my Dad's Polo 1.2 petrol for a couple of months while I was waiting for the Rocco and the economy was much less because it needed to be revved to get anywhere and was low geared.

Blimey, I could over halve my LCR fuel costs just runing one of these. And since the LCR is now only used for weekdays and work trips, seems mad not to really. I've not done the sums yet of car purchase vs. recovered spend on fuel but I bet in the real world it wouldn't make its money back until after about three years.

I halved my fuel bill when I decided to swap from R32 to Rocco plus quartered my VED but it only works if you are going to change your car anyway otherwise the outlay and depreciation outweights any savings as you say

I wonder how much it would cost to do 2000 miles per month in a R32 :rolleyes:

Riz :D

I wonder how much it would cost to do 2000 miles per month in a R32 :rolleyes:

Riz :D

It was costing me around £600 while I was doing it

Less that 2000 miles a month in a V8 M3 - check out one of Mac's posts in either General Cars, Reviews or M Power to see what I mean - his 6 month M3 review.

As has been discussed many times before not convinced small engine is the best solution for economy apart from city driving. I drove my Dad's Polo 1.2 petrol for a couple of months while I was waiting for the Rocco and the economy was much less because it needed to be revved to get anywhere and was low geared.

Low gearing is pants for that, AND as for revving it to get anywhere - that is dependent upon the driver. Many other drivers would not be doing that, so economy would be much improved. You are/were used to quickness and speed - of which the Polo won't deliver. Adjust your driving to suit the car, and your mpg would improve.

And with TDi engines, you have to change up before 3K rpm (preferably at 2K), nothing more than half-way on the throttle, lift off going down hills, not keeping speed going uphills and absolutley nothing in the boot/on roof to get those promised economy fgures! (and no wind with optimal tyre temperature on the smoothest of roads!!)

Low gearing is pants for that, AND as for revving it to get anywhere - that is dependent upon the driver. Many other drivers would not be doing that, so economy would be much improved. You are/were used to quickness and speed - of which the Polo won't deliver. Adjust your driving to suit the car, and your mpg would improve.

And with TDi engines, you have to change up before 3K rpm (preferably at 2K), nothing more than half-way on the throttle, lift off going down hills, not keeping speed going uphills and absolutley nothing in the boot/on roof to get those promised economy fgures! (and no wind with optimal tyre temperature on the smoothest of roads!!)

It's hard not to rev a 3-cyl engine. :roflmao:

To be honest both in my R32 and now in my Rocco I do get pretty damn close to the published figures but I'm normally a very smooth driver. (except in a Polo)

Right I will try and drive in a more eco fashion in 2012, see if things improve.

I do know that if a do a trip at 50mph the mpg would top 85mpg +

But doing that on a motorway is suicide!

Also when the speed limit is raised to 80mph that would make matters worse.

I intend to keep the Polo for 3 years plus in which I should have covered 65-70k miles.

Also I too could get the rated mpg figures in my R32.

Also when the speed limit is raised to 80mph that would make matters worse

Also I too could get the rated mpg figures in my R32.

No need to worry about increase in speed limits, not going to happen.

So you did drive the R32 once at least then+++

Depends how the Polo is geared, but try averaging 65mph and see how the economy goes. Should be noticeable, while you're still going quick enough not to hold up trucks. There's a certain skill to lower speed mway cruising and not getting stuck in a 40 tonner sandwich.

My car weighs the best part of 1,800kgs I think, and is fitted with an auto box. Most of my driving is sub 20 miles journeys, including a chunk of the A27 and half a dozen or so roundabouts. I drive at an indicated 80ish on the dual carriageway, and accelerate up to that speed pretty swiftly.

Based on brim to brim calculations over 5 tanks I'm averaging 41 mpg, and the OBC has been about 4 ~5% out. On longer runs (80ish miles) I'm getting an indicated 48mpg, so 45ish true I expect. 60mpg from a Polo, while good in isolation, seems low to me :confused:

Next week we're ging over to France for a few days, so will be doing around 800 ~ 1,000 miles. I'll see what the fuel economy is like on that journey :D By then I'll be up to over 3k miles, so will post a mini review +++