Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gordie1973

Mk 5 R32 Misfire / Engine warning light

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

The heading really says it all really - car started no problem, then it felt lumpy, almost a slight rocking sensation and just felt horrible to drive. Within a couple of miles the engine warning light came on (the one on the rev counter - Exhaust fault? ), so I took it easy and brought her home. It also smelt a bit eggie when I parked up..... tried to lift the bonnet but, just my luck..... the catch didnt work.......

Am going to bring it to a local independent tomorrow to have a look at it - Am a total novice when it comes to the mechanics of a car, so am asking your expert opinions on probable faults - more so I can look a bit less of a div at the garage tomorrow.

Finally also - should I drive it the 1 mile to the garage or have it towed?

As always any advice you can give is appreciated.....Thanks, Gordon

Thanks Twinspark, seem if it is a recall car you could have saved me a few hundred quid! (Will buy you a drink one day.......!)

Will phone VW tomorrow and see what they say, following the instructions on the link.

Cheers,

Gordon

As above, it will most definitely be a coilpack failure.

I still find it hard to believe that there are owners out there that are not aware of the coilpack service bulletin as it has been publicised on almost every car orientated forum since it was anounced in February 2011.

Thanks all, car was on the recall list - so booked in next week for the fix!

@Cubra Bob, Car was last serviced in Feb last year, so may have just missed the recall / service bulletin - I don't do big miles, so was going to book it in next month for the service where I'm sure it would have been flagged, just unfortunate that it decided to go pop before then. . . . To be honest I was aware of a coil pack problem having owned a 1.8T A3 many years ago, and thought it was only related to the 4 cylinder cars, and mine didn't fail, so didn't know what it felt like when it happened, hence the slight panic above.

Hopefully that'll be it for a while - Thanks again for the help.......

Gordon

Finally also - should I drive it the 1 mile to the garage or have it towed?

As always any advice you can give is appreciated.....Thanks, Gordon

Just in case you were not aware, you cannot tow a car fitted with a Haldex 4WD system, it has to be transported on a trailer or transporter

Just in case you were not aware, you cannot tow a car fitted with a Haldex 4WD system, it has to be transported on a trailer or transporter

As far I understand it you can tow a Haldex car as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground however, your advice is the safest +++

Hi All,

Quick update - AA said they would have to send a patrol out just to check the car, and then if it needed towed, I would have to wait on a flat bed whenever one came available in the area... told them that it was a recall, and that VW were goingto fix the problem for free vs them tring to fix it at the side of the road..... to which the telephone operator ignored and said standard proceedure......!

AA Bloke arrived this morning and couldnt believe the above - took his spare coil pack out of the van, found the faulty one within 5 minutes (no 3 for those that were interested!) - stuck it in and said, "Rather than all the hassle of waiting on another truck we can now drive to the VW garage" - he then followed me, took the spare pack out when we got there (out of sight) replaced the old one and got on his way. Great Service I think......

VW garage replaced the whole lot of them, washed inside and out (Not with a rusty cloth thank god) and now shes back in prime working order - sounds fantastic and driving like a dream

Thanks again all - think you may have just saved me a few hundred notes!

Cheers,

Gordon