things to check on a mk4 v6

bigjock85

having to get rid of my impreza and decided to go back to a golf. was looking at the mk4 GTI's esp the turbo again (as had a 1.8 20v non turbo one before) when i discovered that the 2.8 v6's were within my budget range. the draw of the 4 wheel drive (when its required) is a big attraction.

anything in particular i should be looking out for, that shoulda been done, or will need doing? their all 65k plus on the clock.

cheers folks

All MK4 Golfs suffer from common issues therefore be aware of them when looking;

1. Damp passenger footwells either due to pollen filter housing or door seals

2. When A/C is on, radiator fans should run on low speed. if not fan controller within fan is buggered and needs to fans although a DIY resistor mod is available

3. Broken springs, top mounts and ARB bushes.

4. Colipacks regularly fail

5. Driver's door controller modules.

With regards to the Haldex 4wd system it needs an oil change every 20k miles and oil and filter every 40k miles.

thats why initially i was going to go for the 1.8T but even with a remap ur only at 180, maybe 200ish if uve got a decent TBE with sports cat, and that all cost a fair bit. however whole point of the change is to conserve funds as need to buy a house, but i still want a fairly fast car.

cheers cuprabob i'll give the ones im going to see the morn a going over esp them areas.