Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tipex

"Parking Contravention Notice"

13 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure, but just looking for some reassurance, that this is the type of ticket that can simply be ignored?

The wording is "Parking contravention enforcement notice" and further down it says "we therefore require payment of this parking charge notice, in accordance with the terms and conditions clearly stated on the signage".

I would just ignore it myself, but my parents received it through the post (nothing on the car itself), and I want to double check before I tell them to ignore it, and any subsequent letters, the company is called 'Civil enforcement ltd'.

File it in the bin and ignore any future threatening letters.

There's two things to be careful of though (big, big fan of ignoring unenforceable tickets)

-> If they know who was driving via video/CCTV then they may enforce via small claims. Very unlikely, but not unheard of.

-> If they do take you to small claims (again, very unlikely) don't be tempted in to saying the registered keeper wasn't driving if they were. There's no issue not revealing the driver to the parking company, but it's a world apart confirming something fraudulent to a small claims court and being found out - it can become criminal.

These caveats rarely apply to anyone. I pretty much bin every ticket I get (and there has been a few :uhoh:) on the general assumption that if someone does small claims me for a few hundred quid I'd just cough up through lazyness. Works out cheaper in general anyway.... and I've not so much has had anything beyond threatening letters.

On the letters front, make sure your parents are aware of the wording of the follow up letters they're likely to receive. They use such poor language structure to indicate that the NEXT action would be bailiff visits etc. without mentioning the small fact of getting magistrate judgement in the first place.

Lot of words to say bin them, I guess, but it's worth being aware of the gotchyas.

Thought as much, my parents are well up on the court system, so are fully aware that they can't send bailiffs etc without a court order.

Just wanted to double check the wording on the ticket as some parts of the area the ticket was apparently issued in are private property, and some bits are local council property that are patrolled by 'proper' traffic wardens, a little digging reveals the company that issued the ticket are one of the companies featured on Watchdog, and they recommend to ignore them also.

Cheers.

We don't get that here, you get a fine/ticket you pay or see the magistrate - wouldn't these guys almost be able to be classed as scammers and litigated against for extortion or something equally outrageous?

I got one in 2010. I parked my mums Fiat in Stockport and forgot to get a 50p ticket. They were after £100 for the pleasure. I wrote to them and said I was the driver and gave my full address (here in NZ) and invited them to pursue the matter here. Its a shame they didnt pursue it because I was ready (with a valid ticket I was given by a lady who saw me argue with the "warden") to see them run round in rings for months for their "penalty fine" having sent threatening letters to my mum and worrying her. BASTARDS - F UCK EM.

I got one in 2010. I parked my mums Fiat in Stockport and forgot to get a 50p ticket. They were after £100 for the pleasure. I wrote to them and said I was the driver and gave my full address (here in NZ) and invited them to pursue the matter here. Its a shame they didnt pursue it because I was ready (with a valid ticket I was given by a lady who saw me argue with the "warden") to see them run round in rings for months for their "penalty fine" having sent threatening letters to my mum and worrying her. BASTARDS - F UCK EM.

Ooohhh!

Can we use your address in all future parking issues? :grin:.

I was the driver and I am a resident in NZ over on holiday at the time. I'm now back in NZ..............

We don't get that here, you get a fine/ticket you pay or see the magistrate - wouldn't these guys almost be able to be classed as scammers and litigated against for extortion or something equally outrageous?

There's all kinds of arguments going on about it at the minute. They're nothing more than pre-emptive invoices - they make their money on people assuming they're legally enforceable fines. Only Police & Council/Government can issue those.

Contractually you can't have punitive terms anyway. You can sue for consequential loss but you'd have to demonstrate the loss as reasonable. Take Mort's example of a 50p parking charge - a fee of 100 quid is punitive, saying you owe us an extra 50p for parking is not.

I had a similar notice 18 months ago. I received about 8 letters from them but they went away. They even managed to switch my registration with another 'victim' and confuse the date on a couple of the letters demanding I pay the fine. Mine also had a picture of the car on and times of the 'offence' etc.

Just sit them out and ignore it.

The company that manages the parking where I live have apparently taken out CCJ's against residents for non payment of fines.

However most of them have never received a physical ticket!

Our local magistrates are refusing to see any cases by OPC whom manage the parking, so could be I interesting as people are moving the cases there :grin:

My brother got sent a fine for dropping off his Mrs at Luton Airport. He did it at the roundabout as opposed to the Drop off your Mrs here Zone. He got about 6-7 letters, each demanding more money and then a debt agency etc. He did some research and luckily for him and many others they sent the same penalty to a Barrister. He made it his priority to tell everyone that it was totally illegal and what to do. Even down to individual letters that they were sending out. It's been over a year now since the last letter. T0ssers.

My brother got sent a fine for dropping off his Mrs at Luton Airport. He did it at the roundabout as opposed to the Drop off your Mrs here Zone. He got about 6-7 letters, each demanding more money and then a debt agency etc. He did some research and luckily for him and many others they sent the same penalty to a Barrister. He made it his priority to tell everyone that it was totally illegal and what to do. Even down to individual letters that they were sending out. It's been over a year now since the last letter. T0ssers.

Oh, I like that! :D