New (to me) A6 3.0 litre Le Mans Quattro

GrahamF

Hi folks, it's been a while since being on here - so much so that I forgot my log-in details so had to re-register. :grin:

Anyway, I currently have a Mk1 TTR but I shall be picking up a 2007 A6 3.0 litre Le Mans Quattro (Auto) diesel on 1st February. I decided that at my age I could now do with a bit of comfort when commuting to work so I've been looking for something like this just before Christmas and happened to come across this at my local dealer and decided to go for it.

It's Phantom black with the Communications pack and a few other bits as well, done 36000 miles and is nice and clean. It's the first time I've ever owned a diesel and also a black car so at least it's a change from my normal cars I buy. I'm not sure if I shall keep the TTR or not but I think I will probably end up selling in the end.

Anyway, as soon as I get some decent pics of it after I pick it up I'll pop them up on here

Edited by GrahamF

Hi Chris, I'd love to keep the TTR but it's just the flaf of keeping three vehicles, I'm in no hurry to sell so I've got time to think about it before making the decision. This A6 has the 19" RS4 style wheels which most have, I like the 20 spoke wheels but I bet they're a bu99er to keep clean!

Nice one! My mate has one.

However, I noticed the road noise from those rubber bands make for a lot of noise in the cabin. However, the stereo is of sufficient quality to easily drown it out. The tyres aren't cheap to replace.

The engine is fab and smooth, the drive is smooth and it certainly goes well. +++

I'd have one in a shot!

Nice one! My mate has one.

However, I noticed the road noise from those rubber bands make for a lot of noise in the cabin. However, the stereo is of sufficient quality to easily drown it out. The tyres aren't cheap to replace.

The engine is fab and smooth, the drive is smooth and it certainly goes well. +++

I'd have one in a shot!

Thanks! This car has just had brand new tyres fitted so I shouldn't need to worry about replacing them for a little while but I must admit that while I was looking and playing with all the electronic gizmo's on the car that I didn't take any notice of the make of the tyres!:)

Hey Graham - welcome back. I've only just come back over here as we're looking for an A6 some time this year.

From threads I've started and other stuff I've read, I think we'll end up with the Diesel Le Mans - but in Avant form.

Thanks Kell, I noticed that you put a post up on the TT forum and wanted to post a reply but didn't feel that I had enough knowledge yet on the A6 to give you any useful information. From my standpoint though, I just fancied a diesel this time round so I didn't even look at the petrol versions, I like the low down torque they deliver and as there is no way I can have a 'play' when driving to work any more (heavier traffic, millions of speed bumps, pot holes etc) then I just thought that I would give in and go for the comfort and lazy drive to and from work.

I estimated that if I were to fill the car up at the beginning of the month then that should last me until about the end of the month (on the average mileage that I do). My brother-in-law has an old(ish) A4 diesel and I'm always amazed that when I get in his car, he always seems to have on average a range of about 400-500 miles showing, figures that I can only dream about in my TTR.

Anyway, only a week and a half before I find out if I've done the right thing or not but I'm 99% sure that I have - only time will tell I guess.:rolleyes:

I've posted up a few pictures of the A6 which I took on my phone when at the dealers - not great but should give you an idea.

It had literally just arrived on the forecourt so had not had a valet yet. Can't wait to get it back home to give it a 'proper' clean and being black I think I will be doing this a lot. :)

A62.jpg

A63.jpg

A64.jpg

Forget the orange cab...what you can't see in any of the pics is a brand new white R8 Spyder V10 parked in front of my A6.:eek:

I think the R8 might be out of his price range. Although he lives in footballer belt Cheshire :grin:, even Garcon won't be able to afford to run that with the miles he does................. Tell me to piss off, if I'm wrong. :P:grin:.

I think you need to go back and get some pics of that orange Cab for him.......

GrahamF - are you the modding legend I've known for the last 10+ years and Kneesworth attendee?

Erm, might be Paul.:rolleyes:;)

I've already got a small list of things I want to do, mainly comfort things like boot closure, rear reverse camera and DVD - stuff like that, I'm just waiting to hear back from Craigyb. The thing is I haven't even paid for it yet but I will try and get there tomorrow, currently waiting for my reg to be transferred over and for the dealer to finish off the prep. I will be picking it up on the 1st now instead of the 4th Feb - can't wait!!

Last week I did try to work out if I could afford to run an XKR with my current annual mileage. Probably similar to the R8, but a bit cheaper to buy. :grin:

(The answer was a resounding no - especially when I worked out how much I'd be subsidising my employers for every business mile... :uhoh: )

Yep, I know what you mean, when I was looking for another car I had a completely open mind about what to buy, I looked at all sorts - Jags, XJ and XK, RS6 Avant (sorry, not a Porsche or BMW fan so didn't even look at those) and even going back to what I had before, an RS4 Cabriolet but the more I looked, the more I decided to go away from the higher price end. Unfortuantly for me I have to buy my cars privately and don't have any company car facilities, I also now buy my cars outright and I'm so fed up loosing £000's on depreciation so I now tend to buy cars which have lost a whole lot of their depreciation so at resale I'm not going to be too bothered by resale value.

I'm not saying that this is the only way to go - of course not, but it suits me just fine. I'm now not bothered about going into car parks and arriving back to find another extra ding even though I took the time and trouble to find an area which was nice and empty, I just can't be doing with that these days. I just park up where there's a space now!

Get in a reasonable car, drive it, stop it, get out and lock it - job done. As long as I'm feeling reasonably safe, comfortable and liking the driving experience of the car then that will do for me. The higher end cars are fine and good luck to anyone who owns one but they don't actually impress me any more so why buy one?

The Orange Cab gives the game away as to where the A6 is ;) I made them an offer on it a couple of months back but they werent interested in a deal - I was only looking for £1k off, but they wouldnt budge, guess there are loads of people like me who love bright cars.......

Isnt your current TT a nice colour (as opposed to silver / black / grey).

The Orange Cab gives the game away as to where the A6 is ;) I made them an offer on it a couple of months back but they werent interested in a deal - I was only looking for £1k off, but they wouldnt budge, guess there are loads of people like me who love bright cars.......

Thanks, it's Merlin Purple with silver factory fitted Recaros, a really nice combo IMO.

Offer again with £2.5K off.

Seeing as they haven't shifted it! :grin:

Yeah - knew I'd seen the pics, I do like the merlin purple as well +++

The Orange car is one of the dealer owners daughters car and I suspect they are willing to do a deal because they probably over allowed to get her out of it. To be fair its not in A1 condition for a nearly new car. Sorry for thread hijak.

Been a while Graham. Last time we met was probably back at one of Wak's AmD rolling road days. I think you had just swapped to the sprint blue RS4 cab, from your TTR.

Good to see you on TSN, I rarely visit the TT forum these days.

Paul

(formerly Paul-S3)