My latest toy... DC5

fizzbitt

Had a call from a friend who is a trader about 2 weeks ago saying that he had something that i might fancy going cheap. He was overstocked and was going to pass on this car to another friend in the trade but before he did he wanted to offer me it.

So got it delivered midweek but due to work i have not been able to get it washed properly and take some pics until today so here it is.

2001 Honda Integra Type R DC5

39k with full Jap and UK service history

Kai Racing Rims

DC cat back exhaust

AEM long arm ram CAI

57504ec6.jpg

0e8fc625.jpg

78f9fc91.jpg

20bdc174.jpg

faebc3a7.jpg

842988f6.jpg

0689c7e4.jpg

The rims you will either like or hate and im happy to say that i think they look lush.

220bhp from a 2.0L NA and has more torque than you would imagine. Really pointy car and compared to the DC2 which i owned a few years back it might be a bit bigger and refined but i like it a lot. Just waiting for some dry weather to play around with as its been greasy since i got it! :P

Anyhow.. plan on keeping it a couple of months before selling it on. Although there is a very strong possibility that i might end up keeping it as im liking it that much! :rolleyes:

Haha, I knew the rims would be a bit Marmite! :P

A mate of mine is a Ford only fan and ain't ever really been interested in jap cars. Strange considering he is Asian and from Bradford like moi! :roflmao:

He has just sold his latest Focus ST and so I lent him the DC5 for a day and he came back with his tail between his legs saying he now understands the appeal of these Vtec cars. He has always been put off by civic vti's with loud exhausts making loads of noise but not going anywhere! Lol

Now he realises that they are trying to emulate and aspire to the likes of a propper vtec al la Integra.

First thing he did was go on pistonheads and find a thread on the DC5 vs Focus RS! Apparently they is nothing to split them. Very similar in power and performance but the delivery is totally different.

Compared to the B18 this K20 really is something special mate. I want a s2k even more now for the red. Lol

B18 has more character though IMO. VTEC crossover is more pronounced and I think you feel the kick a bit more. K20 however is smoother and more powerful. You need to experience it in an FD2 was well ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Next time your up this way mate please give me a shout and i will see what all the fuss is about. ;)

Been having a nice play with it over the weekend (when it weren’t snowing) and i must say im immensely impressed with its performance.

Now I know it the car is not designed to be a straight line junkie but it holds up very well against some surprising opposition. A cousin of mine has a Seat Leon FR with Revo stage 1 map and a cupra cat back exhaust system running circa 260/270bhp and there was nothing to separate us.

My DC5 in standard form is just shy of 220bhp and only has a cat back exhaust system and a AEM induction kit so cant see those mods giving much extra. Even if its between 5 and 10 bhp at most it held its own against the FR but there is a 200kg weight difference between the 2 cars although in saying that I had a 80kg passenger! :P

One thing that the DC5 is crap with is the lack of grip when you put the power down in anything but bone dry conditions. Spins up pre-vtec in 2nd on a regular basis and you can forget trying vtec in 1st gear! Lol

Also this thing really torque steers all over the place when planting your foot down and then letting off the gas makes you change direction very suddenly. Lift off over steer has also been achieved even at low 20mph bends which I found surprising but fun.

All in all its been a blast and the only thing I would change is the exhaust to something a bit quieter as its mental! My cousin said that all he could hear was my car over his newly fitted cupra style system. :roflmao:

What tyres has it got on it?

I had an imported Prelude Type-S which is as close to a Type-R as it ever got, Jap market only, not many of them in the UK, 220bhp VTEC engine and that was exactly how you describe, I changed the tyres in the end to Eagles (I think) and it made a whole world of difference, one of the problems I think was that they tryes that were on it were a decent brand, Dunlop iirc, but they were designed for the Japanese market and roads, where it's generally a lot warmer, and they were just too hard for UK roads and temperatures.

To be honest its on Bridgestone Potenzas which is what they come out the factory with. I reckon its just not liking the freezing weather we have at the moment as its way too cold to generate any grip.

It's an import isn't it? Are you sure the potenzas are a European compound? As the same tyre will have different compounds for different markets.

Admittedly the current weather will exaggerate the issue, but see if you can get any info off the tyre wall that tells you which area the tyres are designed for, sticking some European region potenzas might make all the difference.

Ahh yes of course! Although it's been in the country a while it aint done much mileage so you could be right. Will have a gander today. In saying all that I might not have the car soon as I put it up for sale a couple of weeks back and some chap from Bristol is coming up to view it on Thursday for the full asking price.

I really am having mixed emotions about it but sod it.. Now I can look for another bargin and try a different sporty number for a while. At least this way I can scratch the itch for something sporty while not loosing monies. Keeps the wife onside as well! Lol