A4 B7 temp issue

_Tone_

I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat, but it can also be the Coolant Temp Sensor or the actual gauge in the dash. Its unlikely to be the gauge, but it is not unknown for them to go. I had one go on my old A3 a few years back. The CTS is less than £10 and the thermostat is also about £12, but you will need to replace the coolant at a cost of around £20 unless you can manage to save the old stuff and it is ok. I would try the CTS first, then change the thermostat if that doesnt work. Cheapest first I think!!

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply. Recently I had a new head fitted after it was leaking the coolant - that was about a month ago. It was done under warranty at considerable cost!

I am wondering if this is at all related - I think the thermostat is probably the culprit - being completely non mechanic I will have to take it back to the Audi dealer I think!

I can see a biggish repair bill coming - maybe I'll take it to APS for this but wonder if the thermostat and associated work would be warranty? The car is 07 2.0TDI DPF - what do you reckon?

The temp is just going above the 50C so just about coming up from its "off position" so I dont think its the dash - when they fitted the head and replaced the coolant they could have screwed with the CTS... maybe I am being paranoid!

Thanks again

Tone

How much is one of them?

I drove over to Gloucester today - accross country and managed a whopping 40mpg because the temp didnt rise from more than 60c, I spoke with Ed at APS who kindly gave me some advice - one of which go back to Audi and ask them to look at it - which I have done - I was reminded of the £83+vat diagnosis fee to which I reminded her that the car has just had some major head work and is under an Audi Warranty which then scrubbed the fee!

I'll take it in next Tuesday and see what happens - I expect to get a bill after the £2500 repair bill for losing coolant!!

Tone

• 1 month later...