2002 C5 A6, , need help with 2 issues, temp gauage and driver door elecs

deanogtv

Guys

Yesterday evening saw me pick up my new 2002 A6 Avant 2.5 Quattro, have to say that I love the car and the engine is so sweet. Very tidy example for the age and has been very good Audi service history.

There are however a couple of little issues that I'd like to get looked at under warranty. Firstly whilst my hour old drive home neither of the temperature gauges moved from cold. I'm guess this might be related??? I'm sure I've read that this may affect MPG.

Secondly there seems to be a power issue to the drivers door, the electric window switches work and are lit up however the drivers speaker and central locking button don't

Other than that the car seems to be in very good shape. I was a little worried when I first joined the motorway as the wheel wobble coming from the stirring wheel was horrendous however I remembered that had replace the pads. This all settled down after a couple heavy brakes and the trip home

All in all I'm very pleased with my new edition, I don't there are that many stylist 7 seaters out there!!

Nice purchase! And yes, that V6 TDi is smooth, so much better than the 1.9. +++

Temp gauges.......... oh. I had this issue on my V6 TDi as well. Turned out to be the thermostat. All in, £700. As that includes replacing the cambelt/tensioners/pulleys as the thermostat is buried deep underneath. :(.

And is NOT an easy home DIY job. Also includes setting the timing for the diesel pump.

A good independent will sort it for you, but get a price from a few & a stealer or two to compare.

Doors? Not a clue I'm afraid.

On mine, because the water temp didn't rise much above 60c, (in the cold winter, so typical!!!) the oil temperature didn't move much above 60 neither. It did look as though they were both broken.

I stuck loads of foil around the rad and oil cooler and blocked the air flow through the grille. It worked for a bit, until the really cold weather took hold, so I had to bite the bullet and get the work done. As the car was always running on 'choke' and rich. Doing about 30 mpg instead of the 45 I get now.

Thanks for the reply, luckly bought it from a dealer so fingers crossed they might do it under warrenty. I'm not too bothered about the speaker or central locking but I see the oil temp as something key to the car running properly.

Thanks for the heads up

DC

Unless the dealer specifically told you about the faults before you bought the car then both the temp gauges and the door related stuff (could just be a connector that has come apart) should be their responsibility to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys further to my first question a few weeks back, it seems my coolant gauage has some life in it. Stuck in some traffic this morning I noticed the needle moving however this only moved up to 70 degrees. I did consider parking up for a while and seeing how high it go but it would have made me late for work. Bear in mind these temperatures are after and hour on a motorway at 65mph then 30 driving is stready traffic through town.

Does other members ever reach 90 degrees???

What is a normal temp???

post-7334-13791447926_thumb.jpg

and heres the oil temp at the same time.

post-7334-137914479262_thumb.jpg

Edited by deanogtv

The temp has risen because the ambient temperature is warmer than before.

The 2.5 TDi (like many diesels) is terrible for warming up, and it takes an age. Mine always gets and sits steadily at 90. Oil at about 80 - 90. Takes a good 15 minutes though when the weather was cooler. The 1.9 Tdi Bora I had before was about the same

The wife's A6 2.7 V6 TT (petrol) gets to 90 in about 3 minutes! Whatever the weather!

Your thermostat is kaput, so the radiator is always flowing. Put some card between the rads and see if that improves things. Your car will always be running on choke too, so poor MPG.

You're doing well to get 40+ mpg from a V6. I doubt it would go up much more than that. Our old A4 2.5TDi sat at about 30. That was manual and not quattro. In fact, one spirited drive along a country lane had it down to 8mpg.

I get 44 mpg from my A6 2.5 V6 TDi manual quattro. But my commute is all motorway cruising.