FS: BMW R100RT 2-wheeled contraption

Twinspark

For sale is my much loved BMW R100RT 'airhead' - one of the last of the classic BMW tourers which were the favoured bike of police forces Europe wide for many years.

This is the later 'mono' version of the bike, with a single sided rear swing arm and single shock, which makes maintenance a doodle - the wheel can be removed in a matter of minutes.

RT versions of the bike come with the most protective fairing ever fitted to a motorbike - meaning you get year-round riding comfort, and an adjustable screen to minimise turbulence for all heights of rider.

In order to improve comfort, I also swapped the original 'plank' saddle for a Motobins 'Comfort' saddle - this is especially comfortable for pillions, as it means they can see more from their elevated seat, whilst not having to grip on so lightly as they do on the original slippery BMW saddle.

I have also fitted a Givi mono lock top-box plate for additional carrying capacity, which can also be used without the side cases if you're commuting in busy city centres.

The good stuff:

MOT until June.

Fork seals replaced just after purchase - a mere 3,000 miles ago.

Matching Macadam 50 tyres with plenty of tread left - front is 3,000 miles old, rear around 2,000 miles old.

New starter motor, CDI and uprated coil pack fitted (original coil packs break down when warm, causing running problems - this was solved with later versions)

Lots of MOT certificates going back to 2002.

Polishes up nicely and looks very respectable - with just some minor paint flaking on the side panels and a little surface rust on the battery box and footrest hangers.

Both the comfort saddle and

The not so good stuff:

Silencers are a little loud - no surface corrosion or holes, but the baffles are worn. I have a set of very nice stainless silencers to replace them, but was waiting until the originals were completely shot.

Not a lot of history other than MOTs - I do have some receipts for work done and parts bought since I've had the bike.

Summary:

These are still great bikes if you want a comfortable year-round commuter or want to do some touring this year.

The bike has been completely reliable in my ownership - but as you can see above, I just don't use it enough to warrant a full-on tourer.

I'm a more mature owner who cherishes his machines, and doesn't ride for most of the winter - so the bike is in very good condition, especially as it's older than many of my employees!

I have set a sensible reserve, with a 'Buy It Now' option - if sold at the BIN price, I will leave on the Autocom system I fitted a couple of years ago.

The photographs were taken this morning - as you can see from the snow - aside from the photo showing the panniers, which was taken 2.5 years ago, not long after purchase.

Looking for £1800 ono. - a very keen price for a nice example of an increasingly rare classic.

More photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/104294878919802180453/BMWR100RT#

R100RT1.jpg

R100RT3.jpg

RT.jpg