Ringside seat: Bikes vs cars

Scotty

TF day so it'll all be about survival instead of times .....although of course the faster you go the less you have to worry about those behind ;)

I genuinely want you to think twice about riding on a TF day. It's not that I question your riding ability one bit, it really isn't, but as a friend my heart sank when you replied saying it was a TF day. You're no noob to the 'ring, I know you know what you're doing on the road and have seen the causes of so many track closures.... there are so many muppets in cars that are ego big head inconsiderate pratts, that any rider is at risk from cars running at the same time. Is there not a bike-only track day you could do? It's the only way I'd be on a bike round there now.

Hi Scotty, glad to hear you are still enjoying the bikes!

I spent a week at the ring a few weeks ago on my R6 during days when it was open to the pulic and it was brilliant. On the saturday and Sunday it was so busy you couldn't really do much but better during the weekday evenings (1700-2000 opening hours).

It is a bit dodgy and I had one car veer across and nearly send me into the barrier and as I passed for a second time he had one hand on the wheel and one hand with a phone up to his ear. These kind of people kill riders pretty regularly at the ring from what I understand. Others crack their radiators and try and limp back to the car park leaving coolant everywhere.

That said, I am waiting for the chance to get back there again as it is one of the best places I have ever been to.

Good luck.

Hello stranger!!

Glad you had a good time but wasn't in covered in snow a few weeks ago!?!?! I thought the track would be "green" in May let alone now!

I genuinely want you to think twice about riding on a TF day. It's not that I question your riding ability one bit, it really isn't, but as a friend my heart sank when you replied saying it was a TF day.

I genuinely appreciate you concern. +++ I was Skype on of the guys I'm going with and I guessed at a 1:3 chance of acutally getting on due to weather, how busy it will be etc.

It's not a blat to the 'ring like I've done numerous times in the car. It's a long weekend of riding that's taking us out to the Eiffel mountains and if all the planets are aligned we might do a few laps. I'll certainly be making a judgement call and not doing anything blindly.

Thanks again +++

Hello stranger!!

Glad you had a good time but wasn't in covered in snow a few weeks ago!?!?! I thought the track would be "green" in May let alone now!

I genuinely appreciate you concern. +++ I was Skype on of the guys I'm going with and I guessed at a 1:3 chance of acutally getting on due to weather, how busy it will be etc.

It's not a blat to the 'ring like I've done numerous times in the car. It's a long weekend of riding that's taking us out to the Eiffel mountains and if all the planets are aligned we might do a few laps. I'll certainly be making a judgement call and not doing anything blindly.

Thanks again +++

My last post meant to read years not weeks! It was July 06 and the whether at the time was up to 40C. We made a holiday of it and soaked up the festival atmosphere as there was a big truck racing event at the short circuit.

There is no way that you will get there and then put your sensible hat on to decide not to ride the ring. You will love it ;)

The place has changed a hell of a lot since then. The Clarkson impact has been felt with everyone and anyone trying to beat 10mins for a lap.

Seriously I might get there and not bother. I'm intent on reserving my judgement until I need to make it. I've criticised people going in cars and not going on track before. I've never understood that but on two wheels it's another story and I'd never criticise anyone for deciding it's not for them once they're there. If any of our group say they don't want to ride it then that's fair enough.

The place has changed a hell of a lot since then. The Clarkson impact has been felt with everyone and anyone trying to beat 10mins for a lap.

If the Euro-millions come in, I'll organise a friends-only day there +++

Ok ok, before any smartarse says it, I'll save you the bother......... yes, I'll have the track to myself lol

Seriously I might get there and not bother. I'm intent on reserving my judgement until I need to make it. I've criticised people going in cars and not going on track before. I've never understood that but on two wheels it's another story and I'd never criticise anyone for deciding it's not for them once they're there. If any of our group say they don't want to ride it then that's fair enough.

I can't argue with that. I guess it must be more dangerous than in 06 with people pushing the limits more and the increased volume of traffic.

While not as spectacular you can get a similar fix riding a bike round Brands GP circuit, which is safer and many times cheaper. You do tend to push a lot harder on these tracks though. The one thing I do miss is the atmosphere of the Nurburgring and if I had a road legal bike I would love to ride with you in May.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have a daytime only MOT. A girl came out on a ride with us with no indicators, tail light, head light and not even a brake light which I thought would be a must on the road!! However even if you did I've no doubt we'll get lost and be doing some dark riding !