So, what do I think to my A6 after about a month?

GrahamF

Brilliant, absolutely love it to bits. I'm gradually getting used to it now and can use the MMI without too much fumbling and looking at screen too much, it's extremely comfortable and vurtualy no noise when cruising on the A roads and motorways, the suspension is not as hard as I was lead to believe by reading some of the reviews and to me feels quite soft but that's probably because I have come from a very low TT. :)

Fuel consumption is also very good, I did a half an hour trip today mainly all dual carriageway and the DIS showed an average of 42.3mpg (and averaging about 70mph) which I didn't think was too bad for the old style V6 diesel. I had guesstimated before buying the car that a full tank should last me about a month if I only drove to work and back which obviously I didn't do but even so, even with other trips included, I have used a tank and a half which I'm amazed about considering what I would have used in my TT (albeit that the TT has a much smaller tank). The cost around my area for diesel and 99 RON shell is about the same so I'm certainly saving on fuel costs.

I love the interior of the A6, it's a really nice place to be and the one thing I like is that there are no add on 'bits' splattered around the dashboard, any extra things like iPods, phone etc are all nicely tucked away in their own little place. Perfect!

So I'm really happy with my choice. Yes, I could have gone up in price and got the later version and I must admit that I was tempted (even to the point of buying new) but after thinking about it, I just felt that I couldn't part with all that money for something which was a little younger and with a few more toys just yet, maybe in a couple of years time when I will probably sell this one I might change my mind and go for something a little newer but for now, this suits me just fine.

So all in all, I'm a happy bunny with my A6 so far.;)

Graham

Good stuff!

The V6 diesel in it, isn't an old style one. It's now third gen, but only just!

I just meant that considering that it's not the latest version which is more fuel efficient that even so, it's still returning good mpg - well I think so anyway.

I'm very tempted to get a mild remap to make it return even better figures and also give me a little more torque, but it's getting the right one from the right company. I wouldn't have a problem of knowing where to go for a remap with my TT but I don't know who has the best reputation for the A6 - any suggestions?

Graham

I went on to the Shark performance website and they had the 'Self tuning system' which on paper seems ideal as they are a long way away from me and this looks as if I can do this by post. Has anyone had this and if so, what did they think of it? I know in an ideal world it would be better for me to go there and have it done on the car itself but this method seems a good idea if it works OK.

I'm not after a stage 2 or 3 type remap as I don't intend to modify it in any way, just a mild remap would suit me to give the A6 a little more torque and slightly better fuel consumption.

Graham

It's the same map you'd get if you visited Shark (think I'm right in saying that), you just apply it yourself using the STS, and obviously you don't get a before and after rolling road print out, but then given your requirements, that would be pointless anyway.

Ben has a very good reputation across the VAG forums, he's a personal friend to a few of us on here too, so maybe we are slightly biased, but I absolutely wouldn't recommend him if I wasn't confident in his abilities.

He'd normally be on here to answer your queries, but has just undergone some major surgery, so is probably too busy perving over nurses to reply! ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. That sounds like good news then.

So, how easy is it to apply? Is it like a pre-programmed dongle that fits into the OBD port and it just does it's thing or is it something that gets loaded on to a laptop and then I apply it via the laptop - or something completely different?

You're correct in that I won't need a rolling road printout, I think that for a known map and a know spec of car then I'm sure they would have done their homework to produce a good, overall generic map.

Graham

That's the problem I was faced with as well Kell, newer technology and probably less miles on the clock but you pays your money and takes your choice - I chose not to pay more money in this instance but that is purely a personal thing. I know it might sound a bit daft but I also had in the back of my mind that I wouldn't mind leaving it in the Tesco car park, if I got a dink in it when I came back then yes I would be upset but not as much as if it had cost me lot more as I would be more protective towards it. Daft I know but that's just me I guess.

Graham

Well I phoned Shark performance up today and it looks like the remap is on!!:D

It works out to about £550 using the STS system which suits me fine, it should bring it up to about 270bhp and about 360 ft.lb torque (that's the bit which interest me more than the bhp figure) which is not over the top but just a nice gentle map to improve things a little so I shall probably organise that early part of next week if I can. I'll let yo know how I get on.

Graham

Be good to get your thoughts once you've had the map a while.

We have had ours done for 30k+ now, and it's great. Pulls extremely well, returns great economy and no adverse side effects. Overtaking is an absolute breeze - there is punch wherever you need it in the rev range.

It will be replaced with the BiTDi soon and that will be straight to Shark - see what they can do with 313bhp standard!

• 8 months later...