After seeing incidents like this, I'm more and more inclined to get a camera

Scotty

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's nice to see so much tolerance and appreciate for learners. I guess none of us ever had L plates and we all became perfect straight away.

The fecking great big red letter L should cut these guys some slack but I guess we should just run them off the road and try and kill them coz they're not perfect.

Having an 'L' plate on a moped doesn't necessarily mean your a learner.

In this particular case, he said he'd been doing the route for a year, it doesn't take a year to pass your test if you have any degree of competence, so he's clearly not a learner because he isn't actually learning anything, he's just jumped on a moped with no training.

I have no problem with learner drivers, or motorcyclists, as they have someone who knows what they are doing accompanying them to make sure they know what to do.

I do have a problem with people on the roads who have no training whatsoever, which includes mopeds on 'L' plates, and pensioners on electric buggies.

Not that that means they should be run off the road, no one in this thread has suggested that at all? and everyone without exception has stated the car driver was at fault, so I'm not sure what the point of your comment was?

My wife has asked me to find a camera due to her commute on her push bike, who rides to school with my son. Her observations are that car drivers have got distinctly worse in the last 12-18 months. Cars "squeezing" past, including whilst she is very clearly indicating to turn right is getting ridiculous for both of them.

I think a camera is the only way to provide a backup, but unfortunately won't solve the issue (unless she gets a his-vis vest made up with - "smile your on camera").

Dave, get hold of one of these DogCam Bullet HD WIDE angled bullet camera

It's HD quality, so will identify the driver/rider/assasin easily, unlike the cheapo £50 ones. Piece of cake to use too, which is important.

Can I just ask, serious question, what is the point of recording trips like this? Much as I quite like the idea of having a camera set up myself, I can't see the point of it other than to post videos on the internet?

Can't be used as evidence by the police/courts, so you'll never get a conviction using the footage if the worst ever happens and it's caught on camera.

Can I just ask, serious question, what is the point of recording trips like this? Much as I quite like the idea of having a camera set up myself, I can't see the point of it other than to post videos on the internet? Can't be used as evidence by the police/courts, so you'll never get a conviction using the footage if the worst ever happens and it's caught on camera.

so your next of kin know who to send the boys round too...

Lol, do these cameras offer continuous recording? So you can turn it on, start recording, and then say, 6 hours later, want to save an incident, rather than the camera just turning off once the memory card is full after a couple of hours?

What I'd want, is a camera I can turn on in the morning, record a full day, and then turn off in the evening when I get home, or when it's recorded an incident.

Lol, do these cameras offer continuous recording? So you can turn it on, start recording, and then say, 6 hours later, want to save an incident, rather than the camera just turning off once the memory card is full after a couple of hours? What I'd want, is a camera I can turn on in the morning, record a full day, and then turn off in the evening when I get home, or when it's recorded an incident.

Like this (if it's for the Taxi) Roadhawk RH-2 Twin Camera system

I'm looking at fitting one which detects ignition on and runs continuously overwriting the previous recording as it goes. Depending on the size of card I should get a weeks worth of recordings.

If you want an example of why it's useful : I recently saw footage where a guy in a car stopped on a freeway. The car in front then reversed into him, jumped out and accused him of tail ending him. This video can then be used by the insurers to demonstrate who's at fault. It saved this guy an insurance claim etc. Hopefully the other guy got done for attempted fraud.

That roadhawk would be ideal, unfortunately we cannot have any cameras recording inside the vehicle that are not approved by the local council, and all the approved systems are rubbish, and the footage can only be accessed by approved persons.

Need a similar system to Scotty, that loop records, but external only.

What legalities are there with such recordings?

You're recording the activity of other road users without their knowledge or permission. Doesn't that infringe some stupid privacy legislation?

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just intrigued as to how it can be legal.

Can I just ask, serious question, what is the point of recording trips like this? Much as I quite like the idea of having a camera set up myself, I can't see the point of it other than to post videos on the internet?

Can't be used as evidence by the police/courts, so you'll never get a conviction using the footage if the worst ever happens and it's caught on camera.

I believe the police can use it as evidence against you if you're pulled for speeding / driving without due care etc.

And this is why I'd never use a video camera on a public road.

Videoing in public - Pretty sure that's legal unless you're selling it somehow. Otherwise there'd be another reason to arrest ~40% of the cyclist population.

So as not to get caught videoing yourself doing illegal things,

1) Don't do anything illegal, or

2) carry a few very powerful magnets in the boot for instant erasing of incriminating deeds.

There are no legal issues recording in public, anyone can, although there may be restrictions in place in certain areas, schools or swimming pools for example, although I don't believe those restrictions are a legally enforceable.

Recording in a licensed vehicle is not legal though, unless on approved equipment supplied and installed by an approved person, and the footage is not accessible.

That roadhawk would be ideal, unfortunately we cannot have any cameras recording inside the vehicle that are not approved by the local council, and all the approved systems are rubbish, and the footage can only be accessed by approved persons.

Need a similar system to Scotty, that loop records, but external only.

Would this do if you put the bullet through the grill ? MiniDVR HD Bullet Camera System

If it's the actual recorder position then I guess it's a pain to wire it up to the boot?

So if I wanted to put a video camera recording thingy in my car, recording to, say, an SD card, what would be the quickest and most convenient solution?

I.E. easy to put in with no wiring, stable and secure, yet very quick to take out in second when leaving the car?

One of the HD Bullet cams I posted about earlier would be fine. They do a few lens options depending what use (cyclist, bike,car). Pop a discrete clip mount up near your rear-view mirror..... jobs a goodun. I did a similar thing for the 'ring/Spa trip... quite a good location.

Dave, get hold of one of these DogCam Bullet HD WIDE angled bullet camera

It's HD quality, so will identify the driver/rider/assasin easily, unlike the cheapo £50 ones. Piece of cake to use too, which is important.

thanks, will take a good look. I presume most (including this one) will loop around on the recording? I assume what is needed is auto-record when turning on and looping around...

Ease of use has to be everything in this case because it would be used/needed 5 days a week.

Actually, that DogCam one that Scotty posted the link to looks very good indeed. I'm impressed with the apparent simplicity and mobility of that. The mount options are good too. I might be taking a punt on one of those for the sheer fun of it. Not that it'll be any use in the Z because it will inevitably shake the poor device to death within 20 minutes of operation.