XP home reinstall without disk

cabby

I have an eee pc that I'd like to do a new XP install on as it's messing about a bit and think this would help. The machine has the serial code on the bottom but I don't have an XP home disk. Is there a way I can reinstall without a disk?

I've done a bit of googling and it's perhaps it's my lack of IT abilities but didn't find anything that didn't involve all sorts of shannaigans!

I'd quite like to do the same on my Vista laptop, but it never came with a windows disc (owned it from new), and I think the serial number on the base of the laptop (by the little hologram sticker?) has rubbed off through use (it must be 4 years old now at least, it's HD DVD rather than blu-ray :rolleyes:).

Am I goosed without the serial number? And if not (assuming it might be contained somewhere else in vista?) how do I do a complete reinstall without a disc?

I have an eee pc that I'd like to do a new XP install on as it's messing about a bit and think this would help. The machine has the serial code on the bottom but I don't have an XP home disk. Is there a way I can reinstall without a disk?

Any good:

Reinstall / Recover Windows XP On Asus Eee PC 900HA

Am I goosed without the serial number? And if not (assuming it might be contained somewhere else in vista?) how do I do a complete reinstall without a disc?

Use ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) or Magicaljellybean keyfinder Jellybean has been around for years, is the easiest to use although you do get a false positive with some AV software.

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore):

This is a utility that allows you to backup and restore Windows Vista activation for systems that are pre-installed from the factory by an OEM, allowing you to reinstall the system without having to call Microsoft. It saves the activation to a file and allows you to restore it once you've done a clean install. ABR works with Vista SP1, and on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista. How to use it:

Download and unzip

Run "activation_backup.exe"

Save the backup files somewhere safe

Reinstall Vista

Restore activation by running "activation_restore.exe"

ABR can only be used to install the same version of Vista you have the original OEM license for. For example, if your computer came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium, you can only reinstall with Home Premium. You can, however, switch between 32-bit and 64-bit.

Download link: http://directedge.us/files/abr/ABR-1.0.exe

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Thanks for that, once I've backed up all my photos etc, and made a list of all the programmes I want to re-install I will give it a go.

Someone told me instead of having a disc to re-install windows, it will be on my hard drive instead? Is this correct? And if so, how do I find it/use it?

Someone told me instead of having a disc to re-install windows, it will be on my hard drive instead? Is this correct? And if so, how do I find it/use it?

Yes, you'll have a hidden recovery partition on disc. For HP you press and hold the F11 key on boot up, F8 on Dell.

This will bring up the Vista boot menu, from which you can choose Recovery Console (usually the top option). Vista will then boot into a special mode, not unlike Safe Mode, and after logging in, will give you the option to run the Dell Recovery Tool. The recovery process is actually very fast, they you'll need to run Windows Update which will take about a day. So try and install the latest service pack first: How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Yes, you'll have a hidden recovery partition on disc. For HP you press and hold the F11 key on boot up, F8 on Dell.

This will bring up the Vista boot menu, from which you can choose Recovery Console (usually the top option). Vista will then boot into a special mode, not unlike Safe Mode, and after logging in, will give you the option to run the Dell Recovery Tool. The recovery process is actually very fast, they you'll need to run Windows Update which will take about a day. So try and install the latest service pack first: How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

Cool, thanks for that, I've just checked the bottom of the laptop (was at the swimming pool earlier) and the product key is just about legible, so I shouldn't need to use that other programme, might run it just in case though anyway, currently backing up photos to Flickr.

Is there any way I can send them to my other desktop (XP) computer as well? it doesn't have wireless, and is simply connected directly to the o2 modem thingy, laptop obviously connected wirelessly to the o2 thing, my printer is also connected directly to the o2 box, and I can print from both computers.

Never, ever use the desktop, it's got a basically fresh XP install on it, as we've never used it for anything as we bought the laptop at the same time, so it just sits there doing nothing, might as well use it to back up photos etc.

Is there any way I can send them to my other desktop (XP) computer as well? it doesn't have wireless, and is simply connected directly to the o2 modem thingy, laptop obviously connected wirelessly to the o2 thing, my printer is also connected directly to the o2 box, and I can print from both computers.

Dropbox would be great for this. Download and install on both machines - its free. Then copy away.

I have Dropbox installed on my mac, iPad, work pc, wok laptop and my sons mac. It's like having a little bit of your own server wherever you are.

Cool, got dropbox, seems to working well, wonder how many of my pics it'll store before it runs out of free space!

Ok, all my pics are safely uploaded to Flickr, and also currently doing the dropbox thing, I'm just about to back up some other files I need to keep, what else might there be on my computer I need to back up?

First thing that springs to mind is itunes, what files/folders should I back up to avoid any hassle when reinstalling? all my music is in Itunes, so want to keep it there, and avoid any hassles with itunes wiping my phone thinking it's a new one.