Blackberry 9300 Curve - problem with centre button

NewNiceMrMe

Is the centre nav button on BB's (9300 Curve) known for breaking?

This damned back-up phone of mine appears to have developed a fault.

Saw it flash with an email earlier today, picked it up and could get no response out of the centre button. Tried and tried and tried again.

Switched it off, then back on.

Done this 3 times now - still no movement on the menu's from the central button, but the red, green and options buttons and keypad all seem to work. Am I missing something obvious?

Generally they're pretty reliable. Not unknown for them to go though. There was an issue with the firmware that caused issues with the trackpad - worth plugging it into bb desktop software and updating (or if you're up to date, downgrading) your firmware and seeing if that improves things.

If that doesn't work they're only about a tenner for the part and are not TOO taxing to fit - I've put one into a 9700 before and it wasn't overly tough. Think it may be harder on the 9300 though - more to remove.

The button works to press - i.e. to select, but not to navigate left, right, up or down. Pile of s-hit. I think it might be going back at this rate. I'll take something like a Samsung or HTC by arguing the toss with them. How people can use these things and claim they're easier to type on than an iPhone is beyond me.

Could be either a sensor or a software issue. Quick firmware change will give you a proper conclusion. I must admit i'm not a fan of the curve. I love my Bold, and I find it easier to type on than an iphone (for longer messages I make far fewer mistakes), but I can't type on a 9300 for toffee. Keyboard is awful and not particularly ergonomic. New 9900 and 9780 are pretty good, but even as a big BB fan, I wouldn't buy one right now. Waiting to see if QNX works or RIM get consigned to the bin of history. (having said that, there is a HTC wildfire S and a 9300 in my drawer here, I would not pick up the wildfire over the 9300)