Signing on!

bells0

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Embarrassed to say it's not looking good, and i think i'm going to have to rethink the job - which is annoying as i gave up a Temp job i was enjoying.

Company is in a mess. Boss, who hasn't even shown his face yet, sounds like he hasn't got a clue what's going on. Lady trying to teach me everything in a week has told me all sorts of stories of him flying off the handle.

Also, found out it has a big voluntary arrangement hanging over it, and i've overheard her desperately trying to fend off creditors as the cash flow is so bad.

I'm still pretty shook up by my Families business going into liquidation, and i don't want to put myself through that again - because i've been told that the MD wont support me, he is a salesman, that's it. A £4 mill turnover company relies on 1 person to sort the fiances and the payroll - if i were off sick, they wouldn't get paid.

And to top it off, apart from the current financial controller who is leaving, not 1 other person has spoken, or even smiled at me.

Feel ashamed that i' gonna walk out, but i'm not working for average pay, to be treated like crap and deal with angry suppliers. Sorry gang, back on the dole for me. Feel a lot more confident after the last month of bagging the temp and perm job that it shouldn't be too long before i'm working again...................:sauer:

Oh dear. Well companies do pull through VA's and if it had been easier to liquidate then he'd have probably done so because there are implications with him having opted for a VA anyway.

However, I agree it doesn't sound good.

But....

It's much easier to get a job when you have a job - so you might just want to fling plenty of applications out whilst there?

Honestly dont think i can wing it there. They are expecting me to be up to speed with Construction processes - CIS returns, Retentions and Applications in 5 days!

If it was just sorting the accounts and payroll, i would stick it out whilst getting interviews. The current FC leaves Friday and hasn't stopped talking about how she can't wait to get out of there [she's only been there 3 months!]. When she leaves, there is no one else there that knows what to do.

Booster has sorted me with their accounts for 10/11 and they are struggling. They aren't paying enough for the stress i know will be heading my way. Guess this decision will make me come across as a bit of a nob, but i'm not prepared to work in such a bad environment [and i dont just mean the finances].

I don't think it looks bad on you at all. Understanding the construction industry process in 5 days just isn't going to happen as you say.

If it feels uncomfortable, just up and leave. If they're not giving you the training, resources etc that you need - you don't owe them the privilege of staying there and suffering additional discomfort. There's nothing they can do to harm your future employment, although how would you stand in respect of claiming any benefits?

Bells, I had to do this for the first time a year or two ago. It was the first time I had been without a job of somesort since I was 14.

I cant lie, it was bl00dy horrible, I felt completely out of my depth and I hated every moment of it. Had I not had a 6 month old I would have lost the plot in lots of nasty ways.

The service I had ( and its not to say you will get the same ) was okay, the initial meeting you need to have all your details, passport, tax and bank stuff, they just take the details etc.

Ask questions, the chances are they will just defer you to the website and to be honest its not bad, but theres a lot to take in during a stressful time.

Let the Council Tax people know as soon as you can, this will help a little.

Then every time you have to go in remember you are a decent person, you wont have to come here for ever, smile and nod to the nice people behind the desk and try not to be too incredulous with the stupid questions they have to ask.

Dont panic! You will get through it and I wish you the greatest of luck, if you want help with CVs etc, then shout, otherwise for IT stuff, the best thing I found was to post my CV with lots of nice ( but relevant ) keywords in it to the websites ( mail me if you want details ), I found where the agents came to me I did better than when I applied in person. Dont let that put you off, so do try!

Then get a list of all the jobs you need to do around the house / car etc, then spend a couple of hours a day doing job stuff, and the rest doing useful things to keep your moral up.

Hopefully it wont be long until you can put off house jobs again ! :-)

Good Luck !!

I've left.

Mrme - have just reapplied for JSA, see what happens. That goes towards juniors nursery fees anyway!! Not applied for anything else. Family tax credit turned me down last time - really dont understand their system. Mrs B earns £20k for 4 days a week work - so no idea why we dont qualify (something to do with last years earnings).

Cheers for the advice Chris. Had a few weeks of fun and games at the Job centre in April/May before i temped, so know what happens there (actually quite pleasent people). The Mrs has already set me some 'tasks' to do from tomorrow onwards!!

I've left.

Mrme - have just reapplied for JSA, see what happens. That goes towards juniors nursery fees anyway!! Not applied for anything else. Family tax credit turned me down last time - really dont understand their system. Mrs B earns £20k for 4 days a week work - so no idea why we dont qualify (something to do with last years earnings).

Good on you. I was, very briefly, in a job I hated in my mid-twenties. I recall (very vividly too) the gut wrenching feeling I got when walking through the doors. The horrible sickness I felt and how much I worried about what I was going to be asked to do. They took the piss, totally, for 3 weeks. I have never felt lower in employment.

You don't work to make yourself miserable and you've been through a tough time - so tossers like them don't deserve you suffering it. In my opinion you HAVE GOT to enjoy what you do for a living. Because before you know it, we're dead - and if we don't love what we do when we're here, what's the point?

You don't work to make yourself miserable and you've been through a tough time - so tossers like them don't deserve you suffering it. In my opinion you HAVE GOT to enjoy what you do for a living. Because before you know it, we're dead - and if we don't love what we do when we're here, what's the point?

Too true.

I once walked out of a job after only half a days work when it became quite apparent the job description bore no resemblance to what they actually wanted me to do.

I made my point quite clearly, but politely to the boss, and left.

In my opinion you HAVE GOT to enjoy what you do for a living. Because before you know it, we're dead - and if we don't love what we do when we're here, what's the point?

This.

That is, in short, the reason I walked out of a partnership in which I had been a partner for 15 years. It stopped functioning as a partnership, I no longer felt like a partner in the business, and I certainly wasn't enjoying myself. So far this has cost me a six-figure sum in setting up the new business from scratch; I think I might get paid something next month...

I'm so much happier, though. :grin:

Cheers for the support guys and gals. Is a relief to be out, just the worry of finding something else now.

The lady in the current job wished me well for the future and tried to paint a better picture of the financials. Not a lot she could do really. I just hope she can find someone else before she finishes on Friday - as i reckon the MD (if he shows his face) will be kicking off at her. She's told me of the numerous times he's had a screaming match with her and then taken his ball home for 2/3 days. And she's only been there 3 months.

Lesson learned on not jumping into the 1st thing thats offered (could be still in my temp job for another few months).

Old friend of mine once worked for a proper dodgy outfit in Middlesbrough who sold loft insulation.

He joined under some mis-sold bollocks about high OTE and what-have-you.

He spent 4 weeks being driven around all the towns and villages in the Northeast between 7pm and 11pm to knock on doors and offer people a 'grant' of up to 95% - when he said the most they'd get usually was 10%.

They had to knock doors in all conditions and he said he got sick of taking abuse from people - who he said he respected because he wouldn't have been happy at being disturbed at some of the times they were told to knock on doors. He then left because he was, moreorless, told to tell blatant lies to OAP's and get them to sign documents that meant they'd end up paying thousands of pounds they rarely had.

On the day he left someone there told him he was an idiot if that bothered him. So he lamped him, clean knocked him out, and according to him a few other people who'd joined that week clapped and walked out with him.

I respected him for that because from the other things he told me it was a very hostile environment (and the bloke he hit had taken to pushing younger staff around physically). Wonder what happened to him actually. I'm going to go do some Google-Facebook-Twitter-hunting...

p.s. just remembered, they were called Prima.

Edited by MrMe

Nothing like the extremes mentioned here, but I actually went to one of those senior manager audience/coffee talk/town hall chat type things on Monday (I rarely bother). The guy speaking was our UK & Ireland VP and MD, top man in country. His honesty and directness was refreshing.

In reviewing our annual staff survey he showed a pie chart of "What do you like about working here?". He said, "We'll start with this grey slice here... 'nothing' ... if that's honestly how you feel, and you still feel that way in a year's time, please, do yourself a favour and bugger off."

In reviewing our annual staff survey he showed a pie chart of "What do you like about working here?". He said, "We'll start with this grey slice here... 'nothing' ... if that's honestly how you feel, and you still feel that way in a year's time, please, do yourself a favour and bugger off."

Hmmm, that sounds a bit old-school to me.

Depending on how big said slice was, I'd be looking at the reasons why people were feeling like that.

It's a 2-way thing, and often businesses / managers get sucked into the 'plenty more who want your job' train of thought.

On the day he left someone there told him he was an idiot if that bothered him. So he lamped him, clean knocked him out, and according to him a few other people who'd joined that week clapped and walked out with him.

I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before, but I once lamped my boss when I was progressing up the ladder at the electrical wholesalers, he thoroughly deserved it, and when he made a complaint and I got hauled before the area manager, after I'd explained exactly why I'd done it, the area manager shook my hand and told me I had b*llocks, and I'd go far in the company, I ended up doing the area managers job and the guy who I'd lamped never got over the fact he worked under me, I never sacked him though, because I knew how much pain it gave him working for someone who'd knocked him out when he was my boss!

Depending on how big said slice was, I'd be looking at the reasons why people were feeling like that.

It's a 2-way thing, and often businesses / managers get sucked into the 'plenty more who want your job' train of thought.

I don't think it is. I'd have welcomed that approach from a major (huge) company boss in a specific country. Normally they're very keen to tow the corporate message and I think that's what Garcon is getting at. I don't think he's saying plenty more people want your job - I read it as him saying that there is little point working in a job you're unhappy in.

I can see how it might look like that, but when that slice is very thin and is put into the context of year on year improvement and actions on specific points raised it fits much better, especially in a US global firm that usually tends to patronise and flatter staff because that's what works with the gullible US workforce.

He was equally honest about what it'll take to improve our woeful share price.

That line about US firms attitude is very true. I've been working with a large global firm with its name built in the US and very US-marketing driven. The whole approach to their workforce and indeed their target audience is very strange. The old stereo-type of 'whoop-whoop-raaaaaaa' and cheering colleagues and high fives and all that guff - well it appears to be completely accurate from I've been exposed to over the last few days. Emails that patronise with their constant stream of superlatives and 'achievement' accolades.

But they pay top price, so why should I care. It works for them, so be it.

However, and the reason I raise it - I've also seen short bursts of it pervading the British workforce they have.

I hope it doesn't get a hold.

Again at the Electrical wholesalers, they were expanding into the Canadian market and I was involved with the initial setting up, the native managers were very much as you describe, it was completely alien to us lot from the UK, but the staff seemed to respond it, rather than making them vomit!

I would start to laugh. In fact that's what I have been doing. From the safety of being thousands of miles away and hidden behind a computer.:roflmao:

I'm going to edit this slightly (to remove the brand etc), but other than that this is an extract from an email today:

"We're very excited by this Chris, you're really helping the ******* team kick these goals."

I felt like replying by saying "Good, I'm chuffed."