iPhone 4S

Tipex

Siri gets familiar with your voice in time, especially if you edit a word (manually) that it got incorrect with automatic translation.

In a week I reckon I dictate 40-50 things to it and maybe have to correct 2-3 words in total.

You can stop it from thinking you're finished by inserting full stops or, as the yanks say, a "period". Then off you go again.

I also use it for the more advanced and little known functions. For example, I put my appointments in it and then I can say stuff like "What do I have scheduled next week?" - and it'll tell me. Or, "Do I have any appointments on 15th April?" - and again it'll tell me. The latter is superb if I'm arranging an appointment in a hurry, am asked for a specific date...and I simply ask Siri and have an answer instantly.

Thing is, I've always been a fan of this type of function and was waiting for Siri so I've put the time and effort into culturing it and learning it's advanced features - and it has proven very worthwhile.

I set myself loads of notes and alarms too (cos I forget things a lot). So I probably pick the phone up 7-8 times a day and say stuff like "Take a note" - "Remind me to call into B&Q tomorrow and buy..." or "Remind me to set Sky to record XYZ at 8pm tonight". I also use it if I'm measuring something for DIY stuff like in the garden. I simply speak measurements into Siri and then I've got them when I get to the shop without having to write anything down, lose the paper, etc.

There are lots of other stuff it does brilliantly. If you're a sports fan, try something like "Yahoo - Manchester United score" - and it'll give you a latest score if a match is going on without having to visit a site or click an app.

Then, those who use Twitter will really like this - you don't need an app to post to the social networks. You simply put your mobile number into Twitter to enable SMS messaging, then create a contact called "Twitter".

Then, when you want to post to your Twitter account, say "Send a message to Twitter", it'll ask what you want to say....and bingo, it's done. You've tweeted because Twitter authenticates your mobile number that you're sending from with the mobile number on your account.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it was all about Siri's lack of functionality in the UK compared to the US, and the fact the UK ads showed Siri doing things it won't do here.

On another note, I like my 4s, but Jesus Christ the battery life is shockingly bad, much worse than my old 3G.

And it takes forever to charge, plus it won't charge from my Powertraveller Motor Monkey in car USB charger either, using the correct cable etc.

Really annoying.

Nothing I suspect, it's just an opportunity for them to try and increase viewing figures by having a pop at a popular brand.

Got my phone from the 3 store, wouldn't it be better to take it back there?

Is there any kind of benchmark I can compare mine against to check if it's actually faulty?

No, that's wrong. My lass' 4 charges in an hour/hour and a half or so, as does my 4S. You can try calibrating it?

by the way, take the unit in to an Apple store, far better than any vendor. I took mine in yesterday as I'd knackered some beta iOS install, and they just gave me a new one. Very fast, easy to do. Make sure it's a 'proper' Apple store though and not just a partner vendor.

Edited by Mac

Well it's an hour later and I'm up to 81% now.

Think I will take it in to an Apple store, best back it up first I suppose.

What sort of battery life are you guys getting? Mine won't last a full day, in fact it will only last till about 2pm most days if I don't actively try and conserve power.

Will give that calibration a go first.

To put it in perspective, mine came off charge this morning when I got up - about 8:30am. It's now 16:40 and it's on 70%. That's with being out all day being a tourist, so it's had a fair bit of use, but maybe not quite as much as a work day.

...and as a side note, don't just walk into an Apple Store, chances are they won't have any free appointments. Book a Genius Bar visit via this link - you'll get a fixed time. Far better system, and more predictable.

Was in the BlueWater one yesterday for two things....Lass' laptop keypad was bust, and my phone was being a pain. Replaced my phone immediately, took H' laptop in for repair. Call this morning, ready to pick up....No charge either, even though it's out of warranty.

Apple Service at Retail/Point of Sale is probably the best I've ever experienced.

Duly noted, thanks!

Since I took my phone off charge at about 1pm, all I've done is check Facebook a couple of times (no more than 5 mins total), browsed TSN via tapatalk a few times, probably totalling no more than 10 mins worth, no texts, one 2 minute phone call, and it's down to 59% already.

• 1 month later...

Finally got over to the Brighton Apple store today and they swapped my phone on the spot, not charged the new one yet so will report back in a few days whether the battery lasts any longer on this one, and if it charges properly via USB.

The old one also kept dropping connection on either 3G or WiFi, I reckon it'd come into contact with moisture/water at some point while it was being made or shipped, can't remember if the box was still sealed when the lady in the 3 store gave it to me, so maybe it happened there? the little sticker in the headphone socket was red anyway, but they didn't even check in the Apple store, fantastic customer service.

Does anyone make plugs to bung the headphone socket and bottom connector just in case?

Annoyingly, it still displays the wrong number in the 'My Number' bit at the top of the contacts, I was hoping that would be sorted, but I guess it must be on the sim card, wonder if it's worth ringing 3 and asking for a new sim, anyone got any idea if that would work? and if it would have any other implications with contacts or anything? not sure if iphone stores contacts on the sim card?

Edited by Tipex

Does anyone make plugs to bung the headphone socket and bottom connector just in case?

Ivyskin Quattro 4 case for the 4/4S comes with 2 or 3 spare bungs but the case is the best part of £35/40 - expensive for a few tiny bits of rubber I know, but that's the only provider I've found. I bought the case originally, but found CaseMate to be a better product so ditched the Ivyskin case +++

I've found some on Ebay for a quid, described as dust covers, one for both holes, I've got a Griffin bumper on it already that I got for about £5 off Ebay, so the plugs for a quid are ideal really.

Interestingly, I looked at the bumpers in the Apple store today, and for something that (imo) is not as good quality as the Griffin bumper I have, they are a somewhat ridiculous £26!

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, Steven Fry posted a pic of his iphone screen on Twitter some time ago, and I like the background he has that makes the icons look 3D ish, anyone know where he got it from? i'll try and post it up as I screen grabbed it.