iPhone 4S

Tipex

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The network has to support that feature (I think it's called Visual Voicemail) and Apple insisted on it when granting O2 exclusive rights when it first came to the uk. I don't think they made any such demands on the other networks when the exclusivity ended. I guess there's a cost implication, hence them not adopting it. :beer:

The My Number thing has been sorted before. Turn off iMessage in settings, reboot and switch iMessage on again, I think that fixed it.

Unfortunately it hasn't, I posted about it before, and TSN's finest tech boffins were unable to resolve it, it always shows the number the sim card originally had before porting your existing number, hence my question about asking for a replacement sim.

As an update about battery life, my old one would have died at about 4pm most days, and this new one is still on 50% at 8:30pm.

So a huge improvement, still not great battery life admittedly, but at least I know this one is working properly.

Probably, if I turned it off, how would people know the seemingly random place, usually about 20 miles from where I actually am, that I'm sending facebook messages from?

On a more serious note, if you turn it off, how do you stop it asking you fecking annoying questions about activating it everytime you open an app? And how does the sat nav/maps work with it off?

Do you have Bluetooth on? I've got into the habit of switching it on only when I get in the car (so it hooks up with the car) and turning it off at all other times. The difference that makes to battery life is quite incredible. I'd say a good 30% extra life, possibly more.

I've turned off the location thing completely for now, but I'm a bit worried as it also disables 'find my phone' so will probably selectively turn on again for a few apps, will see how much difference that makes.

I would turn off Bluetooth, but as I spend a lot of time in my car, it'd be a pain in the backside turning it on and off constantly, will try it though to see how much of a difference it makes.

Well I've switched location and Bluetooth off, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference whatsoever. Battery life is ok, it's just not great.

I have to admit though, as much as still don't think there is any viable competition for the 4s and ios 5 at present, it's the worst incarnation of the iPhone yet in terms of bugs.

So far, I've had to delete all my music and re-sync it or it stopped playing/showed wrong song to what it was playing, turning off the battery percentage display doesn't work (it still shows the percentage), and Tapatalk doesn't seem to work properly either, crashes regularly among other issues.

FaceTime/iCloud wouldn't activate until I did full restore, still displays the wrong number under 'my number' and the reception isn't wonderful, it's adequate but that's it.

Mind you, that list of annoyances is nothing compared to the Mrs Android phone, which develops a new fault every day, currently the screen won't switch off, so it on all the time, and she almost downloaded something that her phone 'told her she needed' which turned out to be a virus after a quick google before she downloaded it.

WTF is that all about? Virus on a phone? Totally rules out any chance of me ever buying an Android product!

• 1 month later...

I've managed to sort one of the issues I was having, only a minor annoyance and no effect of functionality, but annoying all the same.

Where it displayed the wrong number under 'My Number' at the top of the contacts list (when accessed through the phone menu not the contacts button itself).

A few people suggested simply changing it, but that wasn't possible as the option isn't there on my phone, so I called 3 and asked them for a replacement sim, they told me I could get one from the 3 store if I didn't want to wait for it to be posted, so that's what I did, and now my phone displays the correct number.

One minor annoyance sorted.

Now anyone know why I can't switch off my battery percentage? the option is there, but turning off makes no difference, it's still there.

And why does iMessage randomly switch itself off?

Now anyone know why I can't switch off my battery percentage? the option is there, but turning off makes no difference, it's still there.

Has you phone ever been jailbroken? When my 3GS was I jailbroke it and installed an app that made the battery percentage thing more accurate - it dropped in 1% increments. Since restoring that backup to my iPhone 4 when I got it it makes no difference if I turn the percentage thing on or off, it's always on.

And why does iMessage randomly switch itself off?

No idea, it does the same thing on my Mum's phone. It didn't do it on her previous iPhone 4 but the replacement she got (after giving the original one a bath in the dogs water bowl) does this at least once a week.

When you restored the original firmware, did you setup the iPhone 3 as a new phone or restore from a backup?

if the latter, then yes, there would be some jail broken stuff in the backup that you restored so it would still be there on the 4S if you did a backup of the 3G and restore to the 4S when you got it.

Good question. You could use iCloud to backup your contacts then restore the firmware on the iPhone and when asked choose not to restore from a backup but to set it up as a new phone. Then redownload your apps manually, you'd go through the purchase process but you wouldn't be charged again.

You'd lose your text messages though.

Another option would be to use something called iPhone Backup Explorer and you should be able to pick bits out of the pre-restore backup to restore, so text messages and possibly apps too.

• 4 months later...

iPhone question - when you get a text and the phone is locked, is there anyway to turn off the notification with the sender's details etc? I know you can turn of the preview of the message but is there a way to remove the notification in favour of a discreet icon for example?

iPhone question - when you get a text and the phone is locked, is there anyway to turn off the notification with the sender's details etc? I know you can turn of the preview of the message but is there a way to remove the notification in favour of a discreet icon for example?

Get a different phone for your mistress to text you on. Problem solved!!