Warning lights and MOT

scooby_simon

From the AA ref changes.

[h=3]Warning lights[/h]As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

• Headlight main beam warning light
  • Electronic power steering warning light
  • Brake fluid level warning light
  • Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
  • Air bag warning light
  • Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

• 3 months later...

What was the outcome of this?

Mrs Saab's Mondeo is coming up for its MoT and the engine warning light is on (for those who know Fords it is the symbol that looks a bit like an engine block) - there isn't anything obviously amiss - the other warning lights for oil etc are not lit and all work ok as far as I know. Am I going to run into problems at the MoT?

Well from what I could see on eBay - therefore it must be true - from 2001 for petrol cars and 2004 for diesels, cars had to have a common fault code OBD2 16pin system. Assuming that is the case then any of the readers should be able to download the fault codes on any car built after these dates. All of the readers seems to come with a CD telling you what the codes on various different cars mean, also they have the facility to reset the light.

For fifteen quid I thought it was worth a go, all I need to do now is work out where you plug the thing in to a Mk3 Ford Mondeo.

Well from what I could see on eBay - therefore it must be true - from 2001 for petrol cars and 2004 for diesels, cars had to have a common fault code OBD2 16pin system. Assuming that is the case then any of the readers should be able to download the fault codes on any car built after these dates. All of the readers seems to come with a CD telling you what the codes on various different cars mean, also they have the facility to reset the light.

That will be very good to know!

Well the code reader arrived this morning, despite me only ordering it late yesterday.

So plugged it in (quite right Tipex the port is in a drop down panel under the steering column) establishing the fault code or codes is straightforward - the booklet and CD that came with the machine has a long list of the codes and what they mean - it seems that these are common for all modern cars.

As I said my priority was the fact that there was a warning light on the dash and I'm coming up to the MoT. Resetting the light was incredibly easy and it hasn't come on again, although I think the ignition needs to register the fault on a set number of separate occasions before illuminating the light.

It also has a VIN reading issue which might come in handy.

All in all very good purchase. I'd have paid £45 to have the code read at the garage and the light reset.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a OBD-II fault scanner as the emission light on my summer toy stays on as I've replace the manifold and run a 100-cell CAT, the problem is it would only reset the light for one start up and then the fecker would be glowing again. BMW reset it for me and stayed off for about a month, but then came back on. At my last MOT I got a warning for it, so this year I look the dials apart and placed a bit of black tape over the LED - it passed with flying colors :)

This is one i've got: http://www.scangauge.com/

Edited by Andy_Bangle
linky