Anyone got a new 2.0tdi A6?????

gizze

I thought I would update this thread, before collecting the new E350cdi estate I got a call saying there was an issue with the service history.

The car had done 36k miles and was showing a service due in 400 miles.

The problem was that the 12k mile service was showing, electronic service records with Mercs now, but the one at 24k miles was missing, not showing at all.

They sold the car to the woman 2 years ago and every two years she swaps for a new one, she insists it has never asked for a service, the car is not saying it has missed a service, but there should have been one at 24k miles or thereabouts.

Long story short, we agreed to knock the car down £3,000 because of the missing stamp and they would do a big service including transmission fluid change, all fluids and put new Conti Sport Contact 3's on all round.

Total cost £1400.

Thought that was fair.

When I collected the car the guy said joking "we didn't fill the tank up at the price you paid but you have enough to get you to Chorley services, haha"

He then went to show me how many miles remaining in the tank.

190km

KM?

Set the computer back to miles and bingo! 23600 miles.

The owner had missed it, the buyer had missed it, the service guys had missed it, and the guy selling it had missed it.

He went rather white and said 'If you don't say anything I won't either?'

Anyway, all in all a great car.

This is the older 7g car, not the 7g+, and as such I am getting around 3-4mpg less than the one with the new 'box.

I am averaging about 35mpg, round town drops to 30 and I got 44mpg going to Romford from Norwich the other day.

I do still think the new A6 is lovely though, and after driving the new 5 series and this new E Class I think the steering on all the new cars is just lighter than before and that is something we have to get used to.

Apart from that nothing to moan about, oh, the instrument cluster is too high, so have to have the steering wheel higher than I would like, but a small niggle.

I did 9 hours in it the other day and still felt great, that is the sign of a great car.

I would happily have had the A6, but it would have had to have been the 3.0tdi, I don't mind 35 mpg, but I do on a 2 litre diesel when I know a 3 litre would be no worse. ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a new 2.0TDi SE Avant yesterday. So far it seems to be on a par with my C6 2.0TDie SE Avant, but I have only done about 60 miles so perhaps a bit early. Absolutely love the car. Will report back on mpg after a few more miles

• 1 month later...
Waiting to hear some more on your 2.0tdi??

How you getting on with it??

MPG??

Done 1250 miles on it, a fair few short journeys in that time so not best conditions, and getting 42.8 mpg. This is on a par with my previous 2.0TDie which had 35000 miles on it and about 10% better than the first 1000 miles with that car so all in all I am not unhappy. Also read an article by Steve Cropley of Autocar the other day discussing fuel consumption on new cars which suggested that 10% gain over the first 4000 miles was the norm (quoted from Ford engineers who were stating that the new 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine does not suffer from this initial penalty in the same way)

Done 1250 miles on it, a fair few short journeys in that time so not best conditions, and getting 42.8 mpg. This is on a par with my previous 2.0TDie which had 35000 miles on it and about 10% better than the first 1000 miles with that car so all in all I am not unhappy. Also read an article by Steve Cropley of Autocar the other day discussing fuel consumption on new cars which suggested that 10% gain over the first 4000 miles was the norm (quoted from Ford engineers who were stating that the new 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine does not suffer from this initial penalty in the same way)

Cheers for that, 43mpg is not bad.

Is yours an auto?

In our experience on the cab fleet, there are no auto boxes of any sort that return better fuel economy than the equivalent manual, with the exception of the DSG box when driven in manual mode, rather than letting it decide itself, auto boxes are always 4-5 MPG at least down on manuals.

That definitely used to be the case across the board. I suspect now it might depend a little more on what type of driving you do. If a large part of it is motorway cruising in top gear, I'd have thought today's 7/8 speed autos would be better, whereas around town a manual, driven properly, is always likely to be better.

It still seems to be the case to us, in all honesty, the 7/8 speed boxes seem to be overkill and totally unnecessary, around town they are constantly shifting gears.

I think it is also the case that with an auto of any variety they can adjust the software to optimise the outcome of the official tests even more so than in a manual, This then creates artificial results showing an auto to be more economical than a maual although in the case of the 2.0TDi A6 the auto is actually slightly less efficient in the Combined programme and delivers 3g higher C)2 but 0.5 sec quicker to 62mph.