Q5 3.0lt S Line

boxerbeat

Well what a change, I reluctantly having to admit that I've got old!! It just creeps up on you quieter than a ninja. One minute I was combing my hair using hair wax. Pulling on a pair of jeans that would only fit just over my feet now and jumping into my bright orange Capri GT. Blasting around the quiet county lanes of Lincolnshire on a Sunday morning imaging that I was "The Stig" (Not the topgear Stig) or even worse Bodie and Doyle. Sideways, tyre smoke and squealing everywhere!

Now bald, slightly overweight and over 50 my history of cars has been fast hatch backs. I've had all the Golf GTIs, VR6, 3 nr Audi S3s including the latest S3 Sport back. I loved them all and the last sprint blue S3 sport back being the best.

We were up for a change I wanted a RS3 but we couldn’t put that sort of money into a car and we were looking for something a little different. My wife suggested a Q5 "so we can take the dogs out" and I was totally against it. A Chelsea tractor up my drive you can think again.

Well we test drove a 2.0 TDI S line and I wasn't at all impressed yes the ride height was good but I couldn't see myself on the door handles around my favourite bends. It’s taken her 6 months to convince me to get one. So we opted for a second hand 3.0 TDI S Line. The search was on. Very slowly on my part but we did find one.

We found an 18 month old Grey one, fully loaded at Huddersfield Audi, we arranged for a test drive and it was purchased 2 weeks ago.

I have now driven some 1500mls in that time and I hate to admit it "I Love IT". I'm still in denial with reference to being old!

When you approach the car it is sporty looking for a SUV especially with those 20” alloy wheels and the colour suits it well. We have memory seats so a push on the key fob and my seat auto adjusts to my last settings and when you share a car with your partner there nothing more frustrating then have to spend the next 10mins trying to get it just how you want.

Having planted my bum on the electrically heated leather sport seats I insert the key and wait about 3 seconds then the V6 rubbles into life. It’s quiet, very quiet. You could pass through the centre isle of the local library without the patrons raising an eye brow.

Click it into reverse, release the electronic handbrake and she gentle backs out the driveway. The reversing sensors adding confidence that you’re not going to run over the family VW polo run about. Select D and we off. The controls initially feel heavy, even compared to my T5 works van. But you soon get used to it and it helps with the total feeling of security. The driving position is reasonably high not as high as a Discovery or X5 but a good compromise.

Out on the open road the car guilds along effortlessly, the gear change is so smooth you just don't feel it. When we first drove the car had to concentrate on keeping up to the speed limits. A couple of times I've looked in the rear view mirror only to see a line of traffic building up, "what’s up with them" then I look down at my speedo it's doing 40. I look again in my rear view mirror and I can read the drivers mind " F**king farmers.

Around town the car is generally good but the gearbox does get caught out sometimes, this is due to in D mode the car always selects 2nd gear to pull away and sometime when you what to nip out. You put your foot down and it takes a couple of seconds to sort it's self out. You don't have this issue if you select Sport, I do a lot!!! The only other thing that Audi should look at in the future is the speedo. It goes up from O to flat out in 20 mph increments 20, 40, 60 etc. You can so easily get caught out when trying to do 30 as this is at the bottom of the speedo and is difficult to pick out when trying to concentrate on the road. You often end up doing around 35+ Bloody old age.

When the wife is not in the car I push it on a bit, it's no uber hatch but it does go well for a big car 0-60 6.6 sec but the most impressive thing for me is the torque. Overtaking is despatched in a blink. You can use the gearbox in auto sport mode which is great for most occasions but if you really want to open its legs the paddle shift comes into its own. You can down shift really quickly whilst braking heavily allowing you to be ready to push the load button on exiting corners etc. Like all four wheel drive cars there is an element of under steer but only getting on the gas to early. The under steer is flat and manageable. There are no hidden nasty’s.

The car is full of toys such as satnav, multi-media, phone prep, fully electrical operated leather sports seats with bum heaters, auto rain & light sensor pack, and head light assist. And Climate cup holders all work really well.

The fuel consumption is around 32mpg local driving and I’ve just come back from a race meeting at castle comb and averaged 40mpg and I was above the speed limit on the motorway most of the time!

Will this be my favourite of all time…..NO but for this stage in life then yes! Can’t wait for the Q5S to come out

Now where my pipe and slippers

Well what a change, I reluctantly having to admit that I've got old!! It just creeps up on you quieter than a ninja. One minute I was combing my hair using hair wax. Pulling on a pair of jeans that would only fit just over my feet now and jumping into my bright orange Capri GT. Blasting around the quiet county lanes of Lincolnshire on a Sunday morning imaging that I was "The Stig" (Not the topgear Stig) or even worse Bodie and Doyle. Sideways, tyre smoke and squealing everywhere!

Now bald, slightly overweight and over 50 my history of cars has been fast hatch backs. I've had all the Golf GTIs, VR6, 3 nr Audi S3s including the latest S3 Sport back. I loved them all and the last sprint blue S3 sport back being the best.

We were up for a change I wanted a RS3 but we couldn’t put that sort of money into a car and we were looking for something a little different. My wife suggested a Q5 "so we can take the dogs out" and I was totally against it. A Chelsea tractor up my drive you can think again.

Well we test drove a 2.0 TDI S line and I wasn't at all impressed yes the ride height was good but I couldn't see myself on the door handles around my favourite bends. It’s taken her 6 months to convince me to get one. So we opted for a second hand 3.0 TDI S Line. The search was on. Very slowly on my part but we did find one.

We found an 18 month old Grey one, fully loaded at Huddersfield Audi, we arranged for a test drive and it was purchased 2 weeks ago.

I have now driven some 1500mls in that time and I hate to admit it "I Love IT". I'm still in denial with reference to being old!

When you approach the car it is sporty looking for a SUV especially with those 20” alloy wheels and the colour suits it well. We have memory seats so a push on the key fob and my seat auto adjusts to my last settings and when you share a car with your partner there nothing more frustrating then have to spend the next 10mins trying to get it just how you want.

Having planted my bum on the electrically heated leather sport seats I insert the key and wait about 3 seconds then the V6 rubbles into life. It’s quiet, very quiet. You could pass through the centre isle of the local library without the patrons raising an eye brow.

Click it into reverse, release the electronic handbrake and she gentle backs out the driveway. The reversing sensors adding confidence that you’re not going to run over the family VW polo run about. Select D and we off. The controls initially feel heavy, even compared to my T5 works van. But you soon get used to it and it helps with the total feeling of security. The driving position is reasonably high not as high as a Discovery or X5 but a good compromise.

Out on the open road the car guilds along effortlessly, the gear change is so smooth you just don't feel it. When we first drove the car had to concentrate on keeping up to the speed limits. A couple of times I've looked in the rear view mirror only to see a line of traffic building up, "what’s up with them" then I look down at my speedo it's doing 40. I look again in my rear view mirror and I can read the drivers mind " F**king farmers.

Around town the car is generally good but the gearbox does get caught out sometimes, this is due to in D mode the car always selects 2nd gear to pull away and sometime when you what to nip out. You put your foot down and it takes a couple of seconds to sort it's self out. You don't have this issue if you select Sport, I do a lot!!! The only other thing that Audi should look at in the future is the speedo. It goes up from O to flat out in 20 mph increments 20, 40, 60 etc. You can so easily get caught out when trying to do 30 as this is at the bottom of the speedo and is difficult to pick out when trying to concentrate on the road. You often end up doing around 35+ Bloody old age.

When the wife is not in the car I push it on a bit, it's no uber hatch but it does go well for a big car 0-60 6.6 sec but the most impressive thing for me is the torque. Overtaking is despatched in a blink. You can use the gearbox in auto sport mode which is great for most occasions but if you really want to open its legs the paddle shift comes into its own. You can down shift really quickly whilst braking heavily allowing you to be ready to push the load button on exiting corners etc. Like all four wheel drive cars there is an element of under steer but only getting on the gas to early. The under steer is flat and manageable. There are no hidden nasty’s.

The car is full of toys such as satnav, multi-media, phone prep, fully electrical operated leather sports seats with bum heaters, auto rain & light sensor pack, and head light assist. And Climate cup holders all work really well.

The fuel consumption is around 32mpg local driving and I’ve just come back from a race meeting at castle comb and averaged 40mpg and I was above the speed limit on the motorway most of the time!

Will this be my favourite of all time…..NO but for this stage in life then yes! Can’t wait for the Q5S to come out

Now where my pipe and slippers

A few spaces makes for an easier read...any idea what the car cost new....I had a look at one when they first hit the streets but in the end I bought a rough and ready off-roader....I think the Q5 is a decent family car but the SUV title so loved by the marketeers always makes me laugh...would you really throw a load of sand covered wet suits/muddy riding gear in back...fit a roof rack and chuck a kayak on the roof(shitting yourself incase you scratched your pride and joy....or reverse into the sea to hitch up a boat or jet ski and drag it onto terra firma....Many people do...but I know I could`t....Nevertheless I have a soft spot for the Q5....Enjoy

We (the wife and I :) ) pick up our Q5 on weds week..

Sounds very similar to your.. 3.0tdi Q5 S-line Special Edition.. basically i just ticked all the boxes.

We're coming down from a Q7 so i will miss the air suspension and other things, but looking forward to better fuel economy!

Be interesting to see how we get on with it!

If you could get the upcoming M550D in right hand drive in the UK I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. 4.7s to 60, 35ishMPG etc. Saying that, it's only a re-worked 3 litre '6 diesel I think, but some 380+BHP, and monstrous torque.

Didn't realise the 4.2TDI was so bad - would struggle to see the point!

The point of large diesel engines is the torque..

You surge along at great pace, but without the revs and noise. At 100mph I'm doing about 2500 rpm and the only noise is wind and tyres.

It's over two tonnes in weight and can get to sixty in six and a half seconds.. it is a beast.

BUT.. is there a place for it in this day and age?.. to be honest I don't know the answer.

I have loved this car.. better than anything I have ever owned.. yes.. better than the RS (which was flawed in my book, but that's another story). If you can afford to run it.. it is as good as anything on the road.. it's not the type of car you throw into corners, but then you don't need to. It's a bit like flying first class.. yes, everyone on the plane gets to the same destination... some just do it with a bit more comfort.

Didn't realise the 4.2TDI was so bad - would struggle to see the point!

i don't think its the sort of car you buy with a point in mind, if you understand?

If you are concerned with running costs, fuel economy, size then the Q7 4.2tdi wouldn't be on your list. It why people buy Bentley's.. if you look at the maths you just wouldn't go there!

Got the Q5.. very nice.. nothing quite smells like a new car! :D

Did a 400 mile round trip at the weekend and got 34mpg.. whoa!!.. how amazing is that!!

The 3.0tdi doesn't quite have the grunt of the Q7's 4.2tdi which is to be expected.. but the Q5 weighs quite a lot less. The overtaking uphill that we do a lot of in Cornwall isn't quite so impressive, but so far i am pleased. It's also quite nice to know I'm not destroying so many polar bears everytime I put my foot down!