Late Deal Holidays - Bargains Possible?

Waylander

Was supposed to have a short break booked with some friends for Half Term/Jubilee week.

Only just learned it is not happening. Kids will be gutted (when they find out!)

Was wondering how feasible it really is to get a late deal to a nice beach resort anywhere in Europe as a last minute deal - after all kids are off and I am off.

WOuld beat Alton Towers et al which is other options.....

If you're brave, then literally wait until the last minute, and be prepared to travel in the next 24hrs.

We used to do this using Teletext holidays, but you can also do it in a travel agents, it's incredibly exciting as you just wont know where you are going until the last minute, if you are flexible in your dates it helps too, as if there is nothing available (unlikely) or its somewhere you just don't want to go, you can just look again the next day.

It is by far the cheapest way to holiday, and you can go to some amazing destinations for peanuts.

When I was a student I did the same.....but I think many people waited for last minute bargains and I don't believe they're so readily available now.

It seems the later you leave it the more it costs.

Even last minute phone calls to some hotels last week seem to suggest they'd rather have empty rooms than encourage the mindset that late bookings equals bargains.

If you're brave, then literally wait until the last minute, and be prepared to travel in the next 24hrs.

We used to do this using Teletext holidays, but you can also do it in a travel agents, it's incredibly exciting as you just wont know where you are going until the last minute, if you are flexible in your dates it helps too, as if there is nothing available (unlikely) or its somewhere you just don't want to go, you can just look again the next day.

It is by far the cheapest way to holiday, and you can go to some amazing destinations for peanuts.

'Booked it, packed it, ****ed off!'

2002-november-peter-kay.jpg

It seems the later you leave it the more it costs.

I have seen that in the past as well (doing the foolish thing of looking at prices again after we have booked; sometimes they drop sometimes they don't - usually they don't when you try to leave it later for the price drop you say last year to repeat!!

I have read the Co-Op website etc and they say "last minute" means anything from 8 weeks!

Yep spoke with the missus and we will plan to do UK day trip instead but keep an eye up to 48hrs before.

Sadly the biggest thing against us is we can't be too flexible on dates as I only have the 1/2 term week off and HAVE to be back by Sunday for my trackday experience.

Within that week though we would not be too fussed even for a short 3-4 days in the sun anywhere with a beach to chill out!

Looked at Lastminute.com just as an example for next weekend (bank holiday weekend) and they have 7 days for £136 in the Algarve flight+hotel!

Then again next week is not a school holiday week...

Forget the travel agents, go on the Thomson/Thomas Cook/First Choice website. The travel agents are a rip off, I see web prices and travel agent prices side by side every day. Check the late deals section on the Thomson/First Choice website, Thomas Cook probably has a similair one.

Yeah they do actually, forgot about that. Go in armed with the web price then, or see how much you can get the holiday advertised on the web and get them to match it. Some Thomson shops will charge you a fiver for matching the web price as the shop make no profit on it.