White Smoke from my exhaust????

Jamez3

Hi,

I have tried searching the Forum but here goes:

My 2002 A8 2.8 Q with 183k miles and runing on lpg has started to use coolant at a rate of a couple of litres every 100 miles or so. There is no trace of water in the oil but I am seeing occassional white smoke from the exhaust. The rest of the coolant system seems secure so am I right in thinking the water is leaking into a cylinder and blowing out the back? If so, based on the cars high mileage but full service history, has never overheated etc, is it likeley to be the gasket? Head? Block? All of the above? I am trying to assess what my next step is? I have owned the car for 5yrs and loved (nearly) every minute!

Has anyone had this issue and gone down the route of repair etc and at what cost? I really know this car inside out and it has coped with my 350 mile a week commute for the last 2 yrs so would like to hang on if possible but need to do the sums...

thanks for your help

Brian.

The symptoms you describe would indicate a blown head gasket, does the cooling system excessively pressurise or get full of bubbles?

You could get one of those coolant testers that check for exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Being LPG it is also possible the head could be knackered, LPG tends to burn out the valves on high mileage cars as it burns hotter than petrol.

Hi, when I have had the dash warning symbol to top up the expansion tank I open the filler cap and apart from the epected hiss I do not get any back pressure / bubbling? Before I had the LPG fitted I researched the valve burning associated with this type of fuel but got the impression the A8 should cope?

I havent tested the coolant for gases so I suppose thats the next step.....

ok....hiss is perhaps not the best word to describe but it appears / sounds normal? My lads car had a headgasket problem a while back and when I removed the expansion tank cap it virtually exploded and erupted? The A8 is nothing like this.

Carpets are dry?

What is the going rate for a headgasket replacement on an A8?