Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twinspark

Reims Circuit

8 posts in this topic

Or what's left of it, anyway.

I've just been playing with Google Maps, looking at the drive from Le Havre to Bonn - the first leg of our trip to Berlin.

We could pop into Reims on the way - but it does add 50 miles to the day's travelling.

However, I don't mind doing that, if it's worth seeing.

Has anyone been to Reims and if you have, was it worth going?

If you haven't got to go too far out of your way then it's worth a quick look, you'll only need to see it once though, and there isn't much left, although they do now maintain what's there, none of the track (apart form the straight between the grandstand and pit building) is identifiable as actually being a track.

It's basically a load of empty concrete shells of buildings, and a grand stand, you can climb up inside and mooch about a bit, probably spend half an hour there or so, no longer really.

Here's a few pics from 2007, when they'd started restoring some of the artwork on the advertising, that's pretty much all there is to see really.

mondnurb085.jpg

mondnurb086.jpg

And this was our chariot, a Nissan Primera SRi purchased on the morning we left for the Scumball rally after our second car broke down the night before, and despite managing to buy 3 cars for the rally, and get the Primera stickered up in time, we still didn't win the 'spirit of Scumball' trophy, not that I'm still bitter or anything. :P

mondnurb087.jpg

You can just see Mooks car in the second pic, it's the posh Audi that looks totally out of place with the pretend 'Safety Car' stickers on the side, some people, don't make any effort. :rolleyes:

I'd have liked to visit there, but when you were all there me and shark were under some students bloody BMW attaching a red bull can to the exhaust or some such rubbish!

We could pop into Reims on the way - but it does add 50 miles to the day's travelling.

However, I don't mind doing that, if it's worth seeing.

Take a look at the pictures below.

Now you don't have to go and you can save yourself 50 miles ;)

Seriously - what you see in the pics is what you'd see. There's nothing else.

What ? It's well worth a visit ! There's no shiny visitors centre or shop, but it's all the better for it ! Read where the original route ran and drive the Reims GP circuit yourself ! If you can climb a fence you can explore the semi-derelict buildings in detail, really haunting, and very photogenic too. Then 5 minutes up the road is Reims cathedral. Sorry for the self-publicity, these were taken fairly recently, the area is well worth a stop detour +++

small-7-Pitlane-skeleton-windows-Reims-Lotus-Elise-CR-S2B2-1251.jpg

small-6-Reims-pitlane-2-S2B2-Lotus-Elise-CR-21.jpg

This shot won an award in Car recently too :)

small-4-Cathedral-Reims-Lotus-Elise-CR-S2B2-1501.jpg

Story here.

What ? It's well worth a visit ! There's no shiny visitors centre or shop, but it's all the better for it ! Read where the original route ran and drive the Reims GP circuit yourself ! If you can climb a fence you can explore the semi-derelict buildings in detail, really haunting, and very photogenic too. Then 5 minutes up the road is Reims cathedral. Sorry for the self-publicity, these were taken fairly recently, the area is well worth a stop detour +++

small-7-Pitlane-skeleton-windows-Reims-Lotus-Elise-CR-S2B2-1251.jpg

small-6-Reims-pitlane-2-S2B2-Lotus-Elise-CR-21.jpg

This shot won an award in Car recently too :)

small-4-Cathedral-Reims-Lotus-Elise-CR-S2B2-1501.jpg

Story here.

That last pic is so good I'd bet you'd get a prize for it, like a watch or something....