Why no 1M owners?

Andrew

Saw a 1M in the gym car park tonight and it got me wondering why nobody on here seems even remotely interested in getting one. There seems to be a good few people who are all over the RS3 but no love for the 1M at all. Maybe it isn't BMW enough on here.

I'm not up for one as I adore the one I have - although I wouldn't mind a drive in one for a bit.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth a drive mate. I drove me when looking at the m3. They are small and nimble and look the part, with a chip I'm told they are faster than the m3 but they miss that v8 rumble. If you are spending that dosh a newer m3 is the way to go but if you have one stay with what you have got. I actually do not see them as an rs3 alternative but more an m3 alternative.

I found the 1M more of a handful than the M3 is with 'normal' driving, one of the reasons I didn't go for it. I do fairly highish miles at 20k+ pa, and I thought it would get tiring after that.

Also, no V8 sound of Joy.

I found the 1M more of a handful than the M3 is with 'normal' driving, one of the reasons I didn't go for it. I do fairly highish miles at 20k+ pa, and I thought it would get tiring after that.

Also, no V8 sound of Joy.

Really? In what way did you find it a handful or tiring?

Sorry Wopps missed your post.

It just felt generally more 'frantic' than the '3 - bear in mind I'd already had an M3 when I was looking at the 1M. Like I say, I do a lot of miles, and the M3 is easy to drive in a lazy manner - you can be in third from what, 20Mph upwards? I didn't feel I could do that in the 1M, and I thought it would get tiring considering how many miles I do.

Of course such opinion is very subjective, I wouldn't be at all surprised if somebody thought the opposite.

To me, the M3 'can' feel like a 335 or 135 as long as you don't use any of the faster 'Sport' throttle responses, and don't use the power pedal as an on/off switch. I never felt the 1M was anything other than a go fast kart. Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly capable, and if anything a bit more fun to drive than the '3 when you were hooning, but I just wasn't convinced about the mileage story.

As silly as this might sound, it's your description of the M3 that was what made my 6 series so easy to live with.

If I wanted to go quickly, I could. If I wanted to cruise in a very relaxed manner, I could. It was a true and well balanced GT car. It was never going to be in M3 territory performance wise, but nor was it a slouch. But it did everything very well indeed.

Sometimes I think it's easy to focus on reviews, reports and out and out performance, when the reality of daily life is rather different for most of us.

Sometimes I think it's easy to focus on reviews, reports and out and out performance, when the reality of daily life is rather different for most of us.

Very true. It's why people buy a 911 turbo instead of an Italian red thing.

Well spotted..:confused:

Come on, you know what he meant.

The current 335/135 are not that far away on paper from the M3, but to drive they are absolute worlds apart. It will be interesting to see what they've done to 'experience' and whether it feels like an M, normal 135, or somewhere in between.

Come on, you know what he meant.

The current 335/135 are not that far away on paper from the M3, but to drive they are absolute worlds apart. It will be interesting to see what they've done to 'experience' and whether it feels like an M, normal 135, or somewhere in between.

As i said previously i would sooner buy the 135i Hatch when it becomes available in September than the 1M.I chose to buy a 130i over the 135i coupe as the Hatch was the more practical option for me.

I also felt the 130i was alot of car for the money,and i feel the same about the forthcoming 135i Hatch.

Its over 10k cheaper than the 1M and the RS3 before ticking any options..