43 replies to this topic

#1 bigrichw

bigrichw

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Need some advise

Currently driving a B6 S4 which is a great motor.

Just put a deposit down on a mkv R32 DSG (spare of the moment thing). I had a mkiv prior to the S4 and loved it.

So keep the S4 or go for the R32?

So what would you do and why?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

#2 Biscuits

Biscuits

Mr Chick

• Members
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm guessing the MKV R32 will be a newer car, so less miles/wear-n-tear/fresher than your current S4.

They are both great cars, have always hankered after an R32 (I've had a B6 S4), they sound great.

I guess it all comes down to WHY you want to change really. The Golf will be a bit better on fuel and servicing, but not leagues cheaper I suspect.

You going DSG or manual?

It's easy to get that "sh1t what am I doing" feeling when changing cars, just think about why you're doing it really.

(ps: loose the "sent from my mobile using TapaTalk" strap line). ;)

#3 JonC

JonC

Smellovision

• Members
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Go for the R32. You've had the S4, no doubt enjoyed it during possibly long/longish ownership, so time to move on and try something new, newer and as Biscuits points to, younger, more economic etc. The Mk5 R32 looks great, no question about it. DSG (a well-thrashed out and controversial topic in the past on TSN from memory) is utterly sublime IMO too +++

#4 Twinspark

Twinspark

'I did not see that'

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Might not be a popular opinion, but I'm not a massive fan of the MkV Golf. I could have had a MkV GT in my last job, but plumped for a Passat SE instead.

Now I have a MkVI GT and love it - the fit, finish and aesthetics both internally and externally are streets ahead of the MkV, IMHO.

DSG is a must, no matter what you're buying, though.

#5 shao_khan

shao_khan

yao_khant

• Moderators
  • 21,400 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Id keep what youve got, i would have a mkv, i didnt like my mkvi (i did love my mkiv though). I also wouldnt buy dsg as ive had two cars with it and wouldnt buy one for myself with it specced, fine its 0.000000012345s quicker on a gear change than me, but i just never liked the way it felt, drove or that it was never in the right gear at a roundabout.

For that type of car id have a S3, i found it much more enjoyable than the mkv r32, with the only exception being the soundtrack.
I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today. WAW +++

#6 Tipex

Tipex

A right arse

• Members
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Local plod have a mk v R32, and I've heard it at full chat several times through the town, sounds awesome!

Only you can know what to do!

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

#7 theduisbergkid

theduisbergkid

Torque King comfy shoe wearer forever

• Members
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

DSG is a must, no matter what you're buying, though.

DSG ? No ta. Little baby Jesus gave you a left leg for a reason ;)
logo.png

#8 Twinspark

Twinspark

'I did not see that'

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

DSG ? No ta. Little baby Jesus gave you a left leg for a reason ;)

Yes, I know. It's for left foot braking.

#9 bigrichw

bigrichw

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanks gents...

Well I have either gone completely mad or had a stroke of genius.

Going from the MK4 R32 to the S4 was a good move in terms of power noise and handling... Dropping as near as damit 100 brake and 1 litre and 2 cylinders may leave me feeling little deflated. So I hear you ask what do you do.....

Well after many hours pondering I thought Range Rover. So L322 V8 in Black it is.

Stupid or genius???

#10 Mr Man

Mr Man

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

+++ I`d take the DSG as well
Jaguar XFR 5.0sc...pictures
Defender 2.5tdi
Honda vfr v-tech

#11 Biscuits

Biscuits

Mr Chick

• Members
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Stupid or genius???

I think you know the answer!

#12 Twinspark

Twinspark

'I did not see that'

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well after many hours pondering I thought Range Rover. So L322 V8 in Black it is.

Stupid or genius???

If you have to ask...

#13 shao_khan

shao_khan

yao_khant

• Moderators
  • 21,400 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Stupid or genius???

Partial genius, id actually go for a supercharged or tdv8 if they fall into your price bracket. We had use of a supercharged before we got our sport and it was excellent.
I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today. WAW +++

#14 Twinspark

Twinspark

'I did not see that'

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

If I were in the market for something like a Rangie, I think I'd have to go for a V10 Tuareg. Just because a V10 is 2 cylinders better than a V8.

#15 garcon magnifique

garcon magnifique

Jezabelle

• Members
  • 25,362 posts
  • Locationnot found

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

If I were in the market for something like a Rangie, I think I'd have to go for a V10 Tuareg. Just because a V10 is 2 cylinders better than a V8.

But then I'd remember what an utter heap of sh!t it is and conclude that a supercharged V8 petrol is miles better than a V10 soot chucker that melts.

I may have had sexual relations with that donkey but I definitely didn't molest that panda.

#16 Mac

Mac

BMW Mechanic

• Members
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Every time I see a Toerag on the road my mind says 'Torak!' in the manner of Nintendo 64.

#17 Tipex

Tipex

A right arse

• Members
  • 17,295 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Not in a VAG product it isn't, unless it's been modified by Shark to allow it.

And Mac, I think you mean Turok, not that I'd know, I'm no geek!

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

#18 Mac

Mac

BMW Mechanic

• Members
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

I would definitely sleep with you you big hairy cab driver you.

#19 stooH

stooH

Porsche Carrera 4S

• Members
  • 7,495 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'm presuming you've actually got a need for a Range Rover or have you just had a brain fart? I know someone that went from a 530d to a Range Rover as he was buying a caravan (dear lord) he got rid of it after about 2 weeks as he said it was like driving a tank and went and bought a fully specced Q7 with the 4.2l V10 diesel engine, it was a touch nippy for it's size!

At the end of the day it's your call and if you think you'll be happy cruising around in a Rangey (or have a need for one) then fair play +++

120d Sport in Crimson Red with funny steering

#20 Biscuits

Biscuits

Mr Chick

• Members
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Range Rovers are very good, timeless design and a lovely place to be, BUT they are made in Birmingham... the electrics can be very iffy and the build quality on earlier models isn't up to today's 'German' standards. They make a great used buy for a reason!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users