Banging Sounds

Palace

As a hobby I used to be into sound systems both in my own car and giving talks on installing etc around the country.

I still have some of the the CD's used to judge: I have had my Q5 for 2 weeks now, I have noticed that after giving the B&O a real workout with my sons I pad music mp3's at 320kbps and Test CD's (remarkably there is bass output from the 6.5 " sub woofer in the spare wheel below 20hz ) the balance has changed to a centre oriented mode,from my previous adjustments. I have also found that the only place that is phase perfect is with balance and fade set to centre.Though the stereo image moves as would be expected with the addition of passengers.

I do not have access to a VAG-COM lead so can't get to infernal gubbins (VCDS?). I understand that a lot of the B&O wiring is via fiber optic cable, removing any chance of phase adjustment. I also understand that the set up is different on the B&O depending on seat material

ie leather or cloth

Back in the day I had (still have) a 7 band parametric graphic equaliser with discrete 5 channels & one 4" speaker wired out of phase compared to the other 25 speakers and 7 amp channels to get things perfect, even allowing for number of passengers & open windows.

On the way back from Dorset last night I floated the idea of a additional 6.5" sub-woofer in what is known as a 1/4 wave folded horn enclosure to add to the bass, SHEMBO ambivalent, son supportive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some thoughts on how to get a 1/4 wave horn into the space around the spare wheel, an ongoing project...

Maybe a (fibre filled?) horn curved around the spare wheel if necessary (it's a horn) with one 6.5" DD sub http://www.ddaudio.c...ofers/sw65.aspxcalculations from website mh-audio.nl - Calculations providing the curve is taken into the calculations should work, down to 14hz; using L pads (another calculator) to limit the upper frequency. therefore augmenting the existing sub; I might use another amp that I have takes speaker level input, the battery is in boot or use the existing amp, providing I limit the total impedance to 2 ohms ( I know that people have taken existing amp down to a 2ohm Kicker sub)

If I do it right it should work...