M3 - the fruits of my labour this afternoon

Andrew

I've not waxed it since I've had it so decided today was the day. Washed with a Meguiars mitt and Gold Class. Dried off then cleaned with Swissvax cleaning fluid and then applied a layer of Swissvax Shield (the stuff with the Teflon qualities supposedly - don't believe it myself). Bit of Autoglym tyre stuff on the rubber and done.

Looks good but really doesn't develop a shine as well as the black LCR did (did - not washed that for 6 months ...). I am sure it would look better in the sunshine; I think there is another day of that forecast up here before the end of the year.

46367d1338655719-m3-fruits-my-labour-afternoon-front.jpg

46368d1338656192-m3-fruits-my-labour-afternoon-back.jpg

46369d1338656624-m3-fruits-my-labour-afternoon-top.jpg

post-1235-137914483688_thumb.jpg

post-1235-137914483692_thumb.jpg

post-1235-137914483696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew

Looking good.

Silver is always a dodgy colour - it hides dirt well, so it's never quite so much of an achievement when you really polish it up.

Must have been a day for it - I washed, then polished with Autoglym Super Resin, then waxed, with Triplewax, the MX5 today - as we're going away in it for a couple of days tomorrow morning.

Ahem, SILVER? It is Silverstone Blue but I'll concede it does look silver but it does look blue in the flesh. I used a vivid blue setting on the camera for the photos to try and bring it out a bit better.

The architecture of the properties in Edinburgh is very difficult to match. Grey Street in Newcastle Upon Tyne is about the only place I can think gets close for the period, but Edinburgh really is quite stunning when you venture a few minutes out of the centre.

I knew I'd seen this somewhere. Below is a list compiled by the Commission for Architecture back in 2002.

They produced a list of Britain's best streets (architecurally) back in 2002 - and they also produced a list of the worst. I was surprised to see Edinburgh wasn't on it, but this is the list they came up with.

Best

1. Grey Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne

2. High Pavement, Nottingham

3. Buchanan Street, Glasgow

4. New Street, Birmingham

5. Water Street / Castle Street, Liverpool (they run onto each other)

Apparently Grey Street won by a mile (all members of the Commission had a vote) and would have been at the top for the whole of Europe. I knew it had received some top accolade and it is spectacular, but I wasn't aware it was quite so highly esteemed.

The best in London didn't make the top 5, but was named as Marylebone High Street.

Here is the "Worst" list:

1. Streatham High Road, London

2. Cornmarket, Oxford

3. Drakes Circus, Plymouth

4. Maid Marian Way, Nottingham

5. High Street, Leatherhead, Surrey

Leatherhead High Street got a real pasting, being described as "cheap and thoughtless".

However, Oxford's Cornmarket got decimated with "filthy, dirty, smelly and an embarassment.":roflmao:

The worst, Streatham High Road, had the words "defies belief" used about it. :roflmao:

Just used street view to have a look at the best and worst. St. Reatham (local way of saying it to posh it up) does look a bit rubbish but not nearly as harrowing as a street I saw near Barnsley once where every other house was boarded up.

Grey St looks a good deal like bit of the Burgh I think.

The architecture of the properties in Edinburgh is very difficult to match

Edinburgh's stone was quarried from different locations, including Craigleith (where Sainsburys now is), hence it's now impossible to replicate exactly. It's the same for similar Georgian or Regency towns/Cities.

Aye, I knew about the source stone in Edinburgh. I worked at Holyrood for 2 years and before that spent a good few years at Manor Place much of the time, and one of the guys I worked with did a part-time course in Architecture and was constantly (and I really do mean, constantly) harping on about how lucky we were to work there.

However, I didn't enjoy working there one bit - I hated seeing tourists day in and day out, especially around Holyrood and the Royal Mile, all happily enjoying their time together as I had to endure the ignorant ***** that are your average Edinburgh residents. Note - average, not all. They really are about as unfriendly as it gets compared to the rest of Scotland.

You not spent much time in Glasgow then?

Lived there for 2 years when we built the swimming pool and ice skating rink in Greenock, there were areas and bars we simply couldn't go in being English or we'd not have got out alive!

Stunning scenery through, and a lovely view from our digs at the firth hotel at Gourock.

I had no problem with Glaswegians. I worked with a lot of them and they were all perfectly friendly. You'll get a problem if you're English if you go to certain parts of Scotland, and Glasgow and a few areas of it are the worst for it, but in my experience it's not that bad.

I always found that in Glasgow, there was no middle ground, they either liked you, or they were going to kill you, the nice Glaswegians were very nice, and I still have friends up there now, but the rest of them were Neanderthals.

I've never been anywhere else in the UK where I was warned not to go in certain areas or certain pubs, and I've worked in almost every town that has a swimming pool.