Vw golf idle problems

Hi everyone,

Am new onto here aswell so hi to everyone out there! I've got my first vw golf mk4 1.8t and my idle seems to be abit strange, it's only just started idling at 1,200 when I first turn it on and there sounds to be a sucking noise or an extra fan but then it goes off after a couple mins and returns back down to 800, but then randomly drops down to about 600 then jumps back to 800! It only does this every so often and it's not like a common thing, most of the time after I've driven for abit it dosnt seem to be a problem, just sounds like its gonna cut out sometimes when sat at lights etc, I've just redone all the breather pipes as these were spilt and been drivin it for about 4 days now do would of thought the ecu would of reset! I'm planning on cleaning out the tb but don't have the Allen keys!! Ive Baught some carb cleaner to do this as everywhere I've seen and read about doin it says to use it but someone has just told me abit of petrol is best for it! Any advise or help on my idling problem etc would be much appricated, thank you!

The fan noise you hear when you first start it and it idles at 1,200 is probably the secondary air pump which dumps air down the exhaust to aid with emissions on cold start. The high idle on cold start is normal.

The other thing you may want to check is the MAF for the idle.

Thank you for your response, that secondary air pump makes sense now going into the exhaust as it sounds like te exhaust is blowing when it's on, when I had my new breathing pipes put on the maf got taken out and cleaned with carb cleaner so that should be ok but I might just buy a new one anyway! just a quick question when removing the throttle body how do you disconnect from the pipes etc, Ive seen step by step pictures of taking off the bolts and the jubilee clip but I can't see how you would remove from the pipes and the electronic cables so I can take or put to clean both sides! As you can tell im not used to being under the bonnet but want to lean about my new golf as my first nice car so gotta keep everything clean and tip top! Cheers

Hi there, I took the car out last nite and had a lot of irratic idling and then when I came to the lights and came to a stand still the car pretty much stalled and nearly did a couple times while at the lights, could someone please help me on removing the trottle body so I can check it to clean it as problem seems to be getting worse as its never done that before! Am going to get some electrical spray cleaner for the maf after work and see if that helps as someone cleaned it with carb cleaner which I'm guessing is a bad thing being electrical!! Cheers