Small SUV Choice

robbie_n

Hi All,

Been looking at small SUV's for the wife. Driven BMW X1, Volvo XC60 and Mazda CX5. Evoque is not big enough and waiting to hopefully drive an Audi Q5 tomorrow.

Currently we like the X3 the most but trying to get a deal is difficult, best offer on PCP over 3 years is 10.9% APR and about 8% off list. The Volvo which the missus liked equally to the BMW is offering 15% off list on stock vehicles but again APR is high.

Both of these deals are subject to registering before the end of the month. Any thoughts on if these are good offers or should I be expecting more.

By the way, the Mazda is exceptional value or money, but wind noise at 60mph is unacceptable and engine is very "tractorish" in terms of noise.

WhatCar have a test of that Mazda a Freelander and the Q3 this month. The Masda wins but the depreciation is a bit shocking. Q3 is 2nd, a great car but quite small. Freelander being the oldest was last but was credited with being very comfy and spacious. Just that the engine is uneconomic now. Sure there's a new one out this year. X3 seem to be a good car. Perhaps Booster could offer some discount/finance options through his contacts.

My sister went through same process earlier this year, funnily enough she went slightly bigger and brought a chevrolet. It isnt as nice as the others inside but its been a great car, she loves it.

The vauxhall antara following facelift is greatly improved, 0% apr and 0% deposit plus discount price it competatively, and if im honest my insignia is no worse car than my a4 just has an inferior badge.

If you go with the BMW,

Volvo orAudi I can put you in touch with decent chaps that will look after you on price and service.

Don't regularly work with Mazda unfortunately.

Not interested in offering an alternative to the PCP deal mentioned, Andy ? I'm a penniless, tyre-kicking bankrupt with a drink problem, but if I wanted to finance a car I'd be badgering you for a deal on this ;)

Did Tubbs do right, Edward?

Why are you only looking at finance from the garage supplying? You'll get a much, much better deal from someone like Booster.

Also, "must be done by the end of the month" is standard closing technique.

Forget that and hold out for the deal you want.

Q5 or X3 would be my choice.

Best of luck +++

Not interested in offering an alternative to the PCP deal mentioned, Andy ? I'm a penniless, tyre-kicking bankrupt with a drink problem, but if I wanted to finance a car I'd be badgering you for a deal on this ;)

Did Tubbs do right, Edward?

Probably not, Robbie hasn't mentioned a caravan......... :eek::grin:

Not sure why Korean Audis should be amusing. There is a definite Audi influence in their design. In fact I think their interiors look superb on first glance - it's only when you push and prod stuff that you realise the underlying material quality isn't as good.

Thats probably because they got loads of designed from Audi. +++

Well it's now narrowed down to the Q5 or X3, although the X3 was the better car to drive, the Q5 will most likely win (despite usual Audi dealers doing everything in their power to avoid selling a car) as it is a much higher spec for little extra cash and Audi have offered a much higher trade in despite lead time of 4 months compared to the in stock BMW.

As regards finance, seems most dealer offerings are uncompetitive so will be looking elsewhere for that and will probably have a few months to sort it.

As regards the Korean or Japanese offerings there is no doubting they are excellent value for money, I so wanted to like the Mazda as I had been eagerly anticipating its arrival. Unfortunately poor residuals and slightly inferior cabins along with excessive cabin noise put me off of the Kia and the Mazda.

We went to look at the Kia Sportage on Saturday. Looks great at a distance but some of the quality of the materials are very poor. It's a perfect sized car, great leg room in the back and a decent boot. It's just, well, very PLASTICY! also the dealer in Stevenage was something else. A couple of sales guys reading The Sun laying over the desks! Friendly enough but the site was a dump. Not very confidence inspiring.

Was just about to say that Kia poached key designers from Audi.

Peter Schreyer, who was credited with designing the TT, is the head of design at Kia Peter Schreyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is plasticy, but it's got a 5 year warranty (8 maybe in the UK?) has enough standard features to make most Q5's look under spec'd, handles well and is cheap. Oh and i reckon it beats the CX5 and the Tiguan in every way with the exception of economy (CX5 wins) and cabin quality (well spec'd tiguan wins, but you pay for it).

But the Q5 and the X3 are definitely in a different class. The X3 is a great car, but it's fugly!

I knew there had been some moves from Audi to Kia among design staff, didn't know it was the head.

You can definitely see the influence in new Kia models, particularly inside. Their exterior design is bolder than most recent Audis - since the TT funnily enough.

If I was looking for ordinary, volume manufacturer transport these days I would definitely look at Kia and Hyundai before anything else.

Why are you only looking at finance from the garage supplying? You'll get a much, much better deal from someone like Booster.

Cheers for that Mook!

We can beat "normal" finance rates on vehicles that are selling (Q5 for example) as there is no incentive for either the manufacturer or the dealer to give the finance away as they are shifting units.

Where we can't compete is on models that aren't selling as well as they should be. In these cases, manufacturers use their finance arms to subsidise the finance that dealers can offer making it impossible for us to beat, particularly 0% finance! :grin:

And Cruiser, watch it!!!! +++

also the dealer in Stevenage was something else. A couple of sales guys reading The Sun laying over the desks! Friendly enough but the site was a dump. Not very confidence inspiring.

I don't believe you. You've got to be making that up.

Since when have Kia salesmen been able to read?