CV Help

PinkPrincess

Sat at this computer for over an hour now and cant get my head around writing a CV,

I used to have one but I have lost it at some point along the way through college, but then I guess they do wipe the system from course to course (Mechanics- ICT - Teaching Assistant).

Anyone got a template?

Name, address, contact details

Summary of key skills (list out each one, not loads of sentences)

Work history - reverse chronological order (i.e. most recent first). With each job, include a one sentence summary titled "Key responsibilities" and then list three or four achievements while you were in that job.

Education and Qualifications - reverse chronological order.

Do NOT list your hobbies, interests or whatever else and do not put "references available on request".

HTH +++

Not wanted or needed by recruitment companies or employers.

You have to write your CV for recruitment agencies search engines (they all save them into their databases and then search them). Even if you're not going through an agency, that's what employers now expect.

There are people here that work with cvs, and in recruitment and know far more than i, but I did my cv recently and although advice varies greatly (I spent hours on the Internet looking for guidance) I decided to include hobbies/interests, but it's literally 3 or 4 words, nothing more.

I'd say it's one of those things you adjust for application. One (potential) employer might be interested, but another might not. You have a template with stuff like that in, but edit it as and when required.

Interesting what you say about references though. Care to expand? (contradicts the advice I was getting)

Edited by Sponge

As above, tailor it to the job you are applying for, for example, don't bother with hobbies or interests if you're applying to a major corporate.

If however, you are applying for an apprenticeship at a local one man back street garage, it may be beneficial to list amateur mechanics as a hobby, and briefly list any particularly big or complicated jobs you've learned yourself, to show a degree of competency.

The most important thing I look for in a CV is spelling and grammar, and don't have walls of text, break it down into short, concise sentences, and keep everything brief and to the point.

What's the consensus on using cliché phrases such as 'people person' and 'team player'?

Nope. List your key skills summary as what the skills are - between 10 and 20, dependent on the job. Obviously the list grows the more experience you've got.

You need to not think about what you think should be included - you're selling yourself and you've got 5-10 seconds to stand out - all of this goes on the first page so if you're applying for a job with an engineering company, prioritise your key skills so the main things that you're good at (don't bullshiit!) that they're looking for stand out at the top.

Interesting what you say about references though. Care to expand? (contradicts the advice I was getting)

I work with two CEOs of recruitment companies and we often talk about the changing trends. What's the point in putting "available on request". No-one with their head screwed on right will give you a job without following up references, so you don't need to say it.

Be concise, fit the job requirements and sell yourself to fit into the role that's on offer.