A5/S5 facelift or replacement

Milo

3.0T V6. Nothing certain yet but mine turns 6 in Sept despite the low miles and problem free motoring, I am getting itchy feet. Looked at 12 month old RS5s as an alternative but while the purchase costs aren't too far apart, the running costs are.

There is a facelift A5 Cab in my mothers garage, that's definitely an article from last year.

Whilst an excelent car, I would venture I couple of words of caution however.

Firstly, back in March, Audi were offering £6k off the price of a new car if you took out their finance. Mum went through, did the finance and then paid it off the week after and yet still qualified. Given that her car cost £44k, that's a decent discount and therefore could affect residuals a fair bit? I guess this deal might be still available?

Secondly, MPG. My brother has an 11 plate S5 3.0 TFSI (supercharged) Pre facelift. It's an auto and a cabriolet, and he drives like an old dear, seriously has no interest in going fast. He only gets early 20's, even on a long run. I have not been allowed to drive that one though.

Mums car is a a 2.0T Quattro 7 speed auto cab, and has 3k miles on it and an average MPG of 29... Because they have been away I have been using it and can get up to 34 mpg tops on my usual motorway run.

It's a good GT car would be my summary. It's too big and heavy to chuck around too much. DAB radio is a nice addition to what I have in my A4, and I am jealous, worth getting if you are specing new.

My son loves the cab too. We have to go everywhere with the roof down when I have it. Given that I used to have an A4 cab, this is a huge step up in rigidity and drive.

Cheers, Dan.

Petrol costs aren't particularly an issue as the vast majority of my miles are expensed. I've got one of the old 2.0TFSI (220PS) A4 quattros and in 6 years I've averaged around 26mpg (real world not DIS), mainly because of the kind of journeys I do, despite driving like pensioner. My reimbursement rate would mean if I could get an S5 to average 18mpg, I would be no worse off than I am now. I only do around 7k miles a year (business and private combined) so fuel bills aren't really an issue.

The Audi finance deal has gone now but a little bit of research suggests I could possibly get around £5k off a new S5 to my spec which rules out 12 month old ones as they're silly prices. I had looked at 12 month old RS5s and while the purchase cost isn't too far off what a new S5 would be, it's still a £60k+ car to run.

I tend not to chop cars in regularly so warranty is a big thing for me. 3 years on a new one vs 2 on a used one is a big factor.

Still not 100% on what to do. Head says there's nothing wrong with the car I've got, it owes me nothing and I still enjoy driving it. But I only ever intended keeping it for 3 years, and it's now approaching 6. My heart says it's time for a change.

Edited by Milo

Where's Ian_C when you need him (probably in my garden :uhoh:)? He'll know when it's due for replacement.

Haha! Cannot see a new shape A4 A5 arriving until 2015 going on the fact a thorough mid life facelift will have at least a 3 year shelf life.

Prefacelift S5 coupe 4.2 V8 manual with all the right options, you know you want to.

Still not 100% on what to do. Head says there's nothing wrong with the car I've got, it owes me nothing and I still enjoy driving it. But I only ever intended keeping it for 3 years, and it's now approaching 6. My heart says it's time for a change.

Caveat Emptor.

That's exactly what I did.....and god how I wish I hadn't change such a sublime and trouble-free car for, well, that thing.

Prefacelift S5 coupe 4.2 V8 manual with all the right options, you know you want to.

If I was going used and V8, I'd be pulling out all the stops to get an RS5. Absolutely unnecessary for what I need, totally unsuitable in fact, but it's about time I started my mid-life crisis.

Or a 4.2 V8 XK for the same money. :grin:

I'm 'only' 41. You've met me. Have I ever struck you as a Jaguar driver? :roflmao:

Caveat Emptor.

That's exactly what I did.....and god how I wish I hadn't change such a sublime and trouble-free car for, well, that thing.

I'm very aware of the fact I'd be ditching a car I've really enjoyed for no other reason than it's getting on. I've even considered keeping it as a daily runabout and still buying something else but the budget really would be ready to burst if I did that. I've no idea of its value to be honest. £6k-£7k depending on trade or private? Could well be less. Giving it away for peanuts when it's been so well cared for and maintained with only 44k miles, will stick in my throat.

If I was going used and V8, I'd be pulling out all the stops to get an RS5. Absolutely unnecessary for what I need, totally unsuitable in fact, but it's about time I started my mid-life crisis.

Unnecessary and unsuitable but why the hell not. I had my V8 mid life crisis aged 27 and I've never looked back!

Since when I have I ever done what other people think? :grin:

I'm guessing as a track car, it's ****. However for getting me to the shops and back, it would be just fine. Hell, I might even get on a NSL road one day. I've got no interest in what car goes slightly quicker around the 'ring or if makes it makes me feel at one with tarmacadam to the point I do a little sex wee.

I'm just fancying 4WD, noisy and thirsty. And the ability to fcuk off into the distance (and not necessarily the hedge) at a rapid pace should the need arise.

I had my V8 mid life crisis aged 27 and I've never looked back!

That's because you're a young man in an old body :grin:

When I was your age I was disappearing up my own arse in haze of all things wrong, spending my money on things that were important, not petrol :roflmao:

Since when I have I ever done what other people think? :grin:

I'm guessing as a track car, it's ****. However for getting me to the shops and back, it would be just fine. Hell, I might even get on a NSL road one day. I've got no interest in what car goes slightly quicker around the 'ring or if makes it makes me feel at one with tarmacadam to the point I do a little sex wee.

I'm just fancying 4WD, noisy and thirsty. And the ability to fcuk off into the distance (and not necessarily the hedge) at a rapid pace should the need arise.

Fair point. :grin:

Although most complaints about the RS5 seem to be that it's rubbish both as a cruiser and a 'Ring track weapon. I can completely understand the preference for the former. That's why you should have the Jaaaaaaag. :P

That's because you're a young man in an old body :grin:

When I was your age I was disappearing up my own arse in haze of all things wrong, spending my money on things that were important, not petrol :roflmao:

What he said.