Sky HD menu update

cabby

As above, will have to look later.

However, they made a proper feck-up of the Sky Mobile app upgrade on the iPad. It didn't work at all for 24 hours and then it was patchy for 3 days with them receiving thousands of complaints.

Last night it was working but I had to reboot the app 4 times to get through the movie 13 Assassins. Well worth watching too by the way.+++

Mine isn't done yet, but the £2.50 is the killer for me.

I've swallowed their ludicrous pricing for long enough - but that £2.50 has tipped me over the edge.

I'll be cutting my sub. back, ditching HD, sport and movies and replacing them with a generic European satellite box - free F1 HD coverage (although it'll be in German) and most Champions League games (again, in German) - my Premier League will come from online streams.

If I could get full Freeview, rather than the 'lite' version, Sky would go completely.

We're paying £102 a month with all the kids channels, movies, HD, sports, MUFC and such like - but I still think that is superb value for the programmes you get. The choice is staggering, there's something for everyone and it doesn't matter what time of day or night you decide to watch it...there's something on that you'll really want to watch (not just something you settle on watching for the sake of it).

On top of that I can watch it on my Iphone, my iPad, etc - and watch any movie anywhere using those devices. I can watch movies on my laptop with it, pick from a library at any time of day or night and stream them live. The list goes on. I can even watch the cricket on the move if I so wish.

I watch any football if I can find it, and any boxing. So to me it's great. If I want to watch Osasuna or Sporting Nobody, I probably can. I can even endulge in a bit of Oldham Athletic if I want to. Not that I ever do that. I try to stick to football....

I can watch unknowns starting their professional boxing careers, all the prize fighter tournaments and then some. The only thing I don't watch much of, sports-wise, is motorsport because F1 bores me to death these days and even the BTCC is a little tiresome now.

I contrast it to the £6 I pay to Netflix - which is absolute and utter garbage that never updates. Does Netflix give me 6% of what Sky does if we bring the prices in line? Not a chance. It's the worst subscription I've ever taken out.

On the other hand, I sit here, scrolling through the Sky planner for several minutes at a time, unable to find anything that looks even vaguely watchable.

That's sort of the same as going to the kitchen, looking in the fridge and not being able to 'find' any thing to eat... Even though the fridge is full.

I know what you mean about the tv thing though, I try and keep the planner full of stuff to watch so when I do have the time to sit down and watch tv there's something interesting recorded.

I ditched the £65 a month multiroom rip off a few years back for the basic sub and couldn't be happier, not paying the crap they put out ever again.

Movies - old repeats, repeats

Music channels - enough free ones to keep me happy

Sports - who gives a crap

Even Sky 1 shows a god dam movie, what the feck are the movie channels for? it shows a 2 hour movie which takes 4 to show cos of the 24 mins of ad breaks per hour.

Now with the price increase it's time to ditch Sky altogether and go freesat

So I can buy a Samsung 7800 freesat HD twin tuner recorder box for £199 and save £60 on my first years sub with sky and at least £264 each subsequent year

My biggest issue with freesat/freeview was the lack of series link, but the Samsung has it. So basically a direct replacement for a sky HD box.

EDIT: Just been reading about how poor the Samsung is, so it looks like a HUMAX is a better option, still saves money.

Edited by craigyb

I really wanted to switch to BT Vision, but, as mentioned above, our Freeview transmitter isn't carrying the full offer - and we can't use the Cardiff transmitter as we're on the wrong side of Caerphilly Mountain.

I very nearly got someone around to do a Euro box install, but he insisted he couldn't do it all from one dish - which I know isn't right. I'm not too keen on having a 2nd dish on the wall.

Well so far my attempts to get freesat HD recording instead of sky have failed. Went to currys for the Humax, none in stock, but PC world around the corner have them sir. So went to PC world, they got me an opened box from the store room. I said it looks opened and used, sir this unit has never left the store it's all wrapped up inside.

So went home and plugged it in, sure enough it was already tuned in and registered to a postcode about 4 miles away. So a second hand unit, even though I was assured by the trainee assistant it had never left the store, then it broke, no signal, no satelites found and unable to factory reset it and tune it in.

Back to the store, no apology for selling second hand goods as new and a refund given.

Not the first time Currys/PC world has sold me second hand goods, I bought an Orange mobile several years ago and it was already registered to another customer. Feckers.

This thread spurred me to finally cancel the movie channels I have been meaning to do since April!

Then said screw it get rid of sports as well to bring it down to £36...to which he counter-offered leaving sports on for £47 pm package for 12 months. £20pm saved - suits me!

Well so far my attempts to get freesat HD recording instead of sky have failed. Went to currys for the Humax, none in stock, but PC world around the corner have them sir. So went to PC world, they got me an opened box from the store room. I said it looks opened and used, sir this unit has never left the store it's all wrapped up inside.

So went home and plugged it in, sure enough it was already tuned in and registered to a postcode about 4 miles away. So a second hand unit, even though I was assured by the trainee assistant it had never left the store, then it broke, no signal, no satelites found and unable to factory reset it and tune it in.

Back to the store, no apology for selling second hand goods as new and a refund given.

Not the first time Currys/PC world has sold me second hand goods, I bought an Orange mobile several years ago and it was already registered to another customer. Feckers.

They did that to me about 20 years ago. I've never been back since. Comet tried too. They really are shite.

This thread spurred me to finally cancel the movie channels I have been meaning to do since April!

Then said screw it get rid of sports as well to bring it down to £36...to which he counter-offered leaving sports on for £47 pm package for 12 months. £20pm saved - suits me!

I must do the same, the movie channel is pretty poor but I love the sports. Sounds like a money saving exercise is on the cards.

Well I got my second Humax today, 500GB freesat HDR, it lasted approx 30 seconds, got as far as the setup wizard and the screen went green on the plasma. Tried several times, it works over SCART at SD resolutions, but not on HDMI, tried several HDMI cables after setting it up on SCART but still teh same issues, dies after 20-30 seconds of use on HDMI, picture/sounds dies and sometimes the sound comes back.

So far the recommended HUMAX boxes have failed in different ways, but still failed.