6 weeks to lose 6lbs (or more) - do you want to?

Mook

OK, I've been asked by a few people to put something together along these lines. All I will say is that I've tried this programme on four people at my local gym and it works.

I know we've had quarterly stuff before and it's worked for some people, although I'm sure some of it has gone back on :)

This is NOT going to be about joining a gym, doing fitness classes, starting running or anything else - it's about trying to help people get kick-started if they want to, at home. You need to know that it's not easy - you'll need to work at it, but it'll just be 30 minutes a day.

I think it can start at the beginning of August and run through to mid-September - your call.

I'm not going to go straight into "do this exercise" etc - I'm going to kick off with what you need to do and why, talk about what you eat, what you definitely shouldn't eat and what you should probably start eating. You don't have to "sign up" to it. I'm not going to police it - that's up to you. You can be as honest or dishonest with yourself as you want to.

So to kick off - shout if you're in - say where you're at weight-wise and where you want to get to. Between now and the beginning of August I'll post stuff about body types, food and drink, why you need to think about what you eat etc.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in.

Currently 12st 12lbs and stuck.

Trying to up fitness levels and loose more spare tyre.

12.6 would be perfect, but just a downward move in fat and upward in muscle would work for me, even if overall weight doesn't change.

Errm.. I'll give it a try. I used to be like you Mook. In the gym for 10 years at least but got bored about 18 months ago. Haven't put on much weight since then as I've been careful with what I eat (yes, the training helped with that discipline)

However, I'm now 91Kg when my training weight used to be between 85kg and 88kg depending on how toned I wanted myself but that was quite a bit of muscle. Haven't noticed much of a spare tyre but maybe its time I got back into it.

I just got bored of spending hours in the gym on my own

I'm in too.

I'll weigh myself accurately, but I'm 79Kg (12.5st) and 5'11. Never been exactly portly, but the last few years I've gained a bit of middle-age spread.

Gyms bore me to death, so this sounds like just the ticket, a kick up the arse!

Pretty sure J_C would do it too

Just cutting out crap food/snacking/boozing and exercising more (especially if you currently do nothing) should mean almost anyone should be able to lose 1lb/week. Although that doesn't make for a very big book. More like a fortune cookie strap line.

Just cutting out crap food/snacking/boozing and exercising more (especially if you currently do nothing) should mean almost anyone should be able to lose 1lb/week. Although that doesn't make for a very big book. More like a fortune cookie strap line.

That's basically what I'm doing. Avoiding the biscuits during the day. (Tend to have one with every cup of tea!)

No snacks mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

No choccies in the evening when catching an hour of tv before bed.

Eating smaller portions at meal time. In the past I'd try to clear my plate, even if it was overloaded due to mis-calculating ingredients during cooking. Now I'll stop and leave food.

So far it's working. In fact, I've dropped a few more 100grams.

This morning I ran to work instead of cycling. Which felt good, even though it was raining!

:-)

Edited by Sponge

Portion control has shown real benefits for me too as has showin a little will power on chocolate and biscuits during the day. Laying off bread has helped too I think.

My Achilles heal is booze. I drink every night, without fail. Red wine.

Tonight it'll be 2 pints of Doombar and then half a bottle I red.

So still picking up the calories there unfortunately.

Having beer/wine chilled in the fridge means it'll get used after a tiring day at work, just too easy and is what's currently happening. Couple of bottles of beer and a home-measure or two of vodka-orange or coke.

We actually eat quite healthy food, very little is out a packet and freshly cooked everyday... portion size is probably where we could do with cutting back a bit, but we both love food lol

• 3 weeks later...

Put back on most if the weight from my Couch to 5k stint, which ended at week 6. I need to kick my ass big time, 10 weeks until the wedding :uhoh:

Plan to start running again tonight from Week 5 of app and eat more healthily again, this seemed to work before. Will add a swim as well too if time allows.

Any other tips Mook?

Last week Monday I started my drive back to fitness.. Oh dear!! Did my legs hurt Tues!! 5k jog in 31 minutes. Got the bike out Thurs. 12K and then 5k run afterwards. Early morning 7k run on Sunday. Diet also changed. No fattys, sweets, fizzy drinks, either. All stopped dead in their tracks. Reduced high intake of carbs. Loads of fruits, only drank water and I can actually see a difference a week afterwards.

Hope to be back in the gym this week as once I get into the rhythm, I find it a lot easier to continue.

When I started last Monday, my weight was 91.5Kg. I'm looking forward to the next weigh in after a month of starting.

Hopefully if that Mook guy can get off his arse off the ground with this,:P it can only help+++