A bad excuse to buy an S8?

wordsman

So my 2005 4.2 D3 just failed its MOT, needs four tyres (£7-800), possibly going to have to replace the MMI controls (£6-700), getting a bit a of hole in the exhaust (£?). So I'm wondering if that's a good excuse to get the S8 I've been thinking about and chop the 4.2 in without doing the the repairs. I've only had the it 2 years and am well pleased with it by the way - I normally change after 3-4yrs.

OK, I admit, it's not a very good financial argument, but interested to hear what you guys make of it.

I rang up about this fella on auto trader - Audi S8 FSI Quattro 4dr Tip Auto Saloon 5.2 2006 - £16k, 88,000 miles and huge spec (ceramics, dvd screens, B&O, massage seats). Turns out it's had 5 owners, which makes me suspicious. Someone paid a lot to bling it up though! Mileage a bit close to 100,000, but I only do 7,500/year so maybe not a problem.

I get your wanting to upgrade, but I'd seriously have to question spending on a replacement (regardless of mileage) if you don't really want to spend a couple of grand sorting out your existing toy.

There's a reason massive spec luxury barges are the price they are - they're not cheap to maintain.

Does look the dogs bolloxs though :D

If your baulking at the cost of tyres on your existing car, the price of ceramic brakes on S8 will give you a coronary.

Tyres and exhaust are consumable parts (well, maybe not the exhaust but they do need replacing every so

often), and anyone you traded it with would knock of a significant amount.

Personally, I'd do the tyres and exhaust, then decide if you really want an S8, and find one that isn't being sold by someone who (incorrectly) describes it as having a "Lambo" engine.

Edited by Tipex

Fair points chaps. And I must admit, I hate the idea of how much I'd lose by part exing. I normally sell privately - more hassle but you get more cash. But it needs to be in good nick. My hunch is I'd lose the cost of repairs on the part ex anyway.

It's a bad excuse to buy an S8 really, isn't it +++

With that many owners, it's almost bound to have been clocked. When I was looking at A6s and then A8s, I found loads had been clocked. Any Eastern European connections then avoid like the plague as all the ones I found clocked bar one had an Eastern previous keeper name, or Eastern radio stations in the depths of the radio, or addresses on the sat nav.

How did you find that out?

VCDS scans were the most useful, some just had never had error codes reset, usually there are at least a few as even a low battery will trigger a myriad of codes, I would analyse the dates and mileage of the faults and find some had lower mileage at later dates, sometimes it became clear that it had been clocked twice as it would go down twice over two years just before the MOT. Other have ECU flashing dates which can't be reset and the mileage at this would be lower than it should be for the number of years since flash, and also you can ask an Audi dealer for the service history/mileage and they were helpful when I tried, they can't give name/address of owners, but can tell you mileage and email redacted (no customer name/address) scans of service/warranty documents.

I would definitely do this if you find a car that you want. I also would try and knock prices right down citing this info. but none were interested at all.

So my 2005 4.2 D3 just failed its MOT, needs four tyres (£7-800), possibly going to have to replace the MMI controls (£6-700), getting a bit a of hole in the exhaust (£?).

4 new tyres - shop around, MMI - do it yourself, it's not hard. Exhaust - does it need replacing or just patching. Then, if you want more power - chip it +++

Ceramics on an S8 are an unnecessary extravagance. I probably wouldn't even have them on a 911 Turbo unless I was going to track it.

Which is exactly when you don't want to have ceramics. Pop it in the kitty litter and pick up a stone chip to one of the disk and that was a very expensive day out.

Good point. So what's the use of them at all?

It lines the salesman's and Audi's pockets a bit more when you buy the car and when you get them serviced.

Ceramics are utterly pointless unless you're tracking a car - and tracking an S8? Seriously? :roflmao:

Have you been to the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone? Part of its commercial justification is to get you to spend more on the options list, so they have a range of displays about the various extras you can add. The one about ceramic brakes just has a display case with a steel disc and a ceramic disc inside, both on handles so that you can lift them up. The weight difference is quite dramatic; multiply that by 4 and the unsprung mass reduction has got to have an effect.

My thoughts, though, are that if you're driving a 911 hard enough on the road for that difference to be distinct and noticeable, then you're a very naughty boy indeed and need to save the money for a good lawyer. And on track, well, see above.

You're looking at OVER £10k to replace all 4 ceramic discs and pads on an S8, with all the bits Audi 'recommend' you change at the same time. They're supposed to last 4 times as long as steels, but that assumes they don't get damaged by say, removing a wheel and dropping it onto the disc, which will then crack.....

You can retrofit steel brakes but it will require some parts like master cylinder, ABS reprogramme etc, which you might be able to get used from A8parts (they're breaking a 2006 S8 at the moment) so doesn't have to be a deal breaker so long as you're happy to take the risk.

The ceramics are supposed to be horrid from cold and only really come into their own when warmed up, but if all you're doing is the occasional high speed stop on the motorway then get on your way again they're never going to be tested to make it worth having them.