New car ordered - time for a Merc sub-forum?

bazza_g

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just out of curiosity as I have never had a rear wheel drive car before, what happens if you plant the go faster pedal in the C63 in the dry? will it spin?

Nah, the basic setting of the traction is quite aggressive. As is that in the M3. One of the things I struggled with in my 30-40 minute test drive was the multitude of settings for the suspension and traction. It felt like the traction was incredibly intrusive. I suspect that was a feature of the wrong settings and me not having the hang of that 'box they have.

I suspect it's a car you have to learn to drive a bit.

I was exactly the same in the M3. When I picked up my first, suspension was on 'none', throttle was on 'don't look at me, roight', etc. Had a terrible drive home :roflmao:

If you put the M3 in M settings for traction you'll get squeals from the tyres right up through third gear. I imagine it'd be much the same for the C63. I must admit I'd not enjoy that without a LSD at the rear. It's so much easier to control, in my admittedly limited experience.

Edited by Mac

RWD is fine. It's drivers that are useless.

RWD drive can be terrifying though. Not *really* terrifying, but in your mind it can be. I think for a while I was indoctrinated with the idea that FWD sucked, 4WD rocked, and RWD would send you through a hedge. The attitude is still prevalent over at Audi Sport where they think have 4WD means you can actually go through corners faster than FWD/RWD, I.e. it's nothing to do with power application.

My M3 is just as sure-footed as my RS4 ever was, it's just less tolerant of my ham-footed power application in corner exits

If you want to experience RWD...

Come and drive my Z4. I'll switch all the traction controls off and we'll put it on Sport Plus. It's got 372 horses going through the rear wheels and it skips more than a bunny on steroids.

I reckon you'll grin all the way home but be glad you've bought a car with suspension instead of mine.

In all seriousness, rjgreen4, I can't imagine you having an issue with RWD. Few people with any amount of sensation or touch in their right foot, a couple of brain cells and consideration for the road conditions do. It's just a myth blown completely out of proportion by people wanting to justify 4WD instead of cock extensions.:roflmao:

I'm quite happy *in the dry* running mine in M-Mode. It'll exit a roundabout slightly arse first, but it's fun not 'oh my christ'.

I'd not however try without any traction control. I tried it a couple of times and I just didn't have the skill, or the nervous energy.

I went all the way around the Borders one day in my 6 series with all traction aids off, mud and lots of rain on the roads and occasional signs of frost. It was bloody brilliant.

I'll never do it again though.:roflmao:

At one point I was almost capable of looking at the road I'd just driven down. Not quite, but enough to make me think it was time to call it a day. The advantage of being up here, or out in the Borders, is that you can do that on a Sunday morning and know there isn't another vehicle within 20 miles of you. Nor is there likely to be all day long.:roflmao:

Rwd is fun, and 90% of the time very controllable when the back does start breaking.

The exception is snow, ice and derv spills. Gentle on the loud peddle under those conditions unless you want to be seeing where you've been very quickly.

Most of the time a bit of steering correction / opposite lock sorts it.

Just go steady for a few weeks and break yourself in gently.

I'm nervy about getting a 120d as i've never driven RWD and have little idea of the handling characteristics, I can understand where he's coming from when he's got 2 1/2 times more power and stuff. I suggest gently gently catchy monkey approach +++

I'm nervy about getting a 120d as i've never driven RWD and have little idea of the handling characteristics, I can understand where he's coming from when he's got 2 1/2 times more power and stuff. I suggest gently gently catchy monkey approach +++

They are a very capable little go kart, very easy to control even with the electronics off.

I tell you what though, I'd be more concerned about RWD without LSD. A 335 is far more aggressive and harder to control than the M3 is - saying that, I only did it a couple of times on purpose off a (big) roundabout. In the M3 that roundabout is fun, big, very wide, and often not much traffic on it. In the 335 it was far harder to control - mind you, it was an auto as well, maybe that had something to do with it.

Edited by Mac

Why be nervous? Just drive it and get used to it. A good engineered RWD car, which the 120d is, will provide you more driving enjoyment than any other car - but it doesn't mean it has to be dangerous.

Apart from which you're not REALLY going to be driving a true RWD car. Not nowadays. People who have concerns about RWD in 2012 are forgetting - they're nothing like RWD 10-20 years ago when drive skill actually mattered a little. You have DSC+T and all manner of other electronic wizardry doing the stuff a driver had to be correct for years ago. Not now.

The car does everything for you. It's quite boring really.

Mac - mine doesn't have an LSD and is putting more power down than a 335i but I wouldn't say it feels dangerous. Yes you need to be aware of the road conditions, especially in damp or wet conditions, but I can honestly say it never feels like I'm going to rearrange the countryside. You do get the odd heart-skip moment from a twitch if you really push it, and that's when you have to fight the car or start being sensible again. I do the latter. It's like a mini idiot-alert system.

Rule no.1 in a RWD car - do NOT let off that throttle. Keep it down until the car is straight. Stick to that and you'll never have a problem.