New car ordered - time for a Merc sub-forum?

bazza_g

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how much did your car go for? Seems strange seeing a car like that in the auction house, my perception of them has always been older cars. Must be quite risky putting a higher value car through them.

I dare say it had a fair reserve on it, of whatever Mercedes needed to get to cover themselves, anything over is a bonus.

Our local car auctions (Eastbourne Car Auctions) very very rarely has anything very interesting, and I've never seen anything like a GTR go through!

So how much did your car go for? Seems strange seeing a car like that in the auction house, my perception of them has always been older cars. Must be quite risky putting a higher value car through them.

Hammer price was £30,900 which plus buyers premium and what the car needed doing to it for a private sale doesn't leave much for the trader to make a profit on it. Mercedes only sell Mercs so anything else Part ex'd in to them goes out to auction through MB Retail (one of the biggest and most respected suppliers to BCA along with Lex Autolease etc). MB did ok out of it considering they didn't do anything to brakes/tyres before selling it, I got what I wanted for it and MB took the risk and hassle. Putting it into auction privately was a non-starter as it would have been seen as dodgy and not have made the same money +++

Question for you Bazza..........

What were the runnning costs like on that GT-R beastie of yours? PM me if you don't want all to know. It's just that a friend of mine is lusting after one and when I told him the BCA hammer number, he perked up a bit!

How many miles did you put on it and what sort of foot do you have? :P

Thanks!

What were the runnning costs like on that GT-R beastie of yours? PM me if you don't want all to know. It's just that a friend of mine is lusting after one and when I told him the BCA hammer number, he perked up a bit!

Thanks!

I doubt the running costs are the issue. It's when something goes wrong you have the trouble. Nothing is known yet about how well a gtr ages. Personally I would not be buying one without a warrenty or high milage.

Spec updated on page 1 +++

Thanks!

I'd be interested in running costs too +++

:grin: if it could be useful to potential owners I'll stick it out here - managed 40k miles with a heavy right foot! :roflmao:

Fuel - driving hard is single digit MPG, long motorway journeys 21mpg so not far off a BMW M3. Roughly translated a £75 v-power fill up got me nearly 200 miles.

Tyres - on the standard geo cooks the inside shoulders in 5-7000 miles - wind off some camber and you can double that. Bridgestone run flats £1,600/set, Dunlop OE runflats £2k+ a set,

PZeros non-funflat £1,500/set

Brakes - the Brembo OE front+rear are £3,900 from Nissan but you can get the AP/Alcon options for about half that

Road Tax - £465/year

Insurance - variable!

Servicing - from £250-£1500 every 6 months/6k miles from Nissan - go to Litchfields for a fraction of that cost

Repairs - to anyone looking at a used GTR, the option paint "Ultimate Silver" is available from one source (DuPont) and is £1k/litre + VAT which makes even a minor scrape an insurance job

Weak Points - gearbox solenoids can fail meaning you lose either 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 but these are fixable by Litchfields without going down the Nissan gearbox change route. Gearbox bellhousing tends to wear leading to a noisy/rattle (again Litchfields have a uprated replacement for 1/4 the cost of the OE Nissan part which will just wear again). Big power, really anything claiming over 600bhp should have upgraded injectors, full exhaust system and circlip upgrade in box. Above 650 I'd want to see upgraded gearbox internals and engine internals.

Strong Points - I've had zero engine or electrical issues, build quality is excellent, note that pre Nov 2009 cars won't have sat nav or ipod connector, first UK cars were I think April 2009. Is it without doubt one of the fastest, most capable, easiest to handle cars on the road at any price point - to beat it in a straight drag needs mega money, to beat it cross country needs double mega money and a talented driver!

Nice one Bazza, having played in an SLR I know you're going to get seriously addicted to the noise! Looking at doing the AMG day at Brooklands soon to get another fix +++

:grin: saw those pics on facebook, looks like an epic experience - can you share some details in another thread? +++

I doubt the running costs are the issue. It's when something goes wrong you have the trouble. Nothing is known yet about how well a gtr ages. Personally I would not be buying one without a warrenty or high milage.

Precisely - with no extended warranty a serious failure would be pretty nasty, hence time to change +++

Edited by bazza_g

Servicing twice a year is a bit of a pain and £2k+ for tyres!? That's more than the rs! How much are they each?

The Dunlop tyre issue is silly, in the UK you can only get the OE run flats through Nissan - last time I checked the rears were £550 each and fronts £450 each :eek:

Edited by bazza_g