Anyone owned an Audi A6 1.9Tdi Avant auto ?

theduisbergkid

Basically the same car as my old Skoda Superb, expect mid 30's to low 40's mpg around town, the auto box doesn't help there, good reliable engine though, drop links tend to fail resulting in a knocking over uneven roads that can be hard for mechanics to find when the car is up on a ramp.

Not a bad car to be honest.

c

F-i-L has drowned his workhorse Mondeo, looking at an Audi A6 1.9Tdi Avant auto, c.2003 model.

Can anyone offer any real world MPG figures ? He does a lot of city driving.

Ta +++

Rich, mine is a 2004 model and I do a lot of shortish journeys to see customers within a 10mile radius.

if I drive gently I get around 37 to 40 on the DIS and on a run can average around 46.

Most of the time I get between 490 and 575 on a tank. (130 bhp manual)

Ta. He drove through a flood in the recent rain and blew the Mondeo's engine. He expects 50+ MPG from the A6 but I just can't see it with a heavy auto in stop/start traffic. Thanks for the info +++

He's got no chance, not even close, maybe if he was doing motorway miles and very very light footed.

I know what Cruiser is saying about the gearbox, and it's quite common to hear of failures on Audi oriented websites, but we never had any trouble with them.

50MPG from the A6 is dreaming, maybe in a manual but never going to happen with the Multichronic. Make sure the gearbox has been serviced every 40,000 and it should be OK. 1.9TDI is almost bulletproof apart from the odd turbo VNT sticking in one position fault, causing over/underboost fault codes and limp mode.