RS4 gone - E92 M3 Next??

ShaneyB

Hi all,

A newbie to this forum after donkey's years on RS246.

Can't believe I'm writing this but I'm seriously considering this switch. Over the past two weeks I've been to see loads of B7's and have been really disappointed in the condition of all but one (Mugello @ BHP). That is in fantastic condition and the guy I have been speaking to (Neil) has been great. Not sure Mugello is for me long term but it did look classy, like my Daytona. Every single one I've viewed, I have sat in it and straight away I just compare everything to my old B7 and they just don't match up. I'm pretty sure that as soon as I drive one I will feel deflated as mine was well modded also (445ps). I want another one but can't see me finding one I'm happy with and in budget. The Mugello one is up for £27,495.00 and is spotless.

Now, because of the lack of quality '07 or newer B7's available I considered C63 AMG's and E92 M3's. AMG will be fine for me when I retire but not before so that is ruled out, just feels like my Grandads car.

E92's. First thing I notice is they do look sleak in the flesh and trust me I wanted to hate them. Sat inside a good few now and the whole cockpit feels a lot more modern to me compared to the B7. When you look into the technology and gadgets inside (MDrive, BMW Assist/Online, Adjustable driver settings etc.) again they are streets ahead of the RS IMHO. How much of it you'd use after getting settled in is questionable but at least you can personolise the car. On the cost side I have been looking at '08 & '58 plates, manual & DCT for around the £27k-£29k mark and they have looked mint. Clearly the RS is holding it's value better than the M3 at the moment but I would have thought they will drop when the new RS arrives.

So what to do? Get another RS that will probably be older, slower and forever in the shadow of my Daytona or bite the bullet, accept it's time for a change and give the BMW a go?

I'd be interested to hear peoples views.

Sad times but that will teach me for writing mine off icon_sad.gif

Well, there are a fair few M3 owners on here past and present. Mac does 28k a year in his - I do 4k a year in mine.

Even the technology in an 08 or 58 is a fair way behind a 2010 or 2011 so going back further than what I have already (08) wouldn't be good, which is what I think you are saying is the case with a 07 or 57 RS4.

Have you actually driven an M3?

Hi Andrew,

I do around 10k a year in mine. You're right regarding age. RS is a great car though and I love the understated looks - stunning.

Only driven one on JP Days and driving a Silverstone DCT tomorrow and that will be my 1st ever Beemer drive. Had S and RS Audi's for the last 14 years and none of them have missed a beat. The RS is a real head turner and people double take when you drive by. Not sure the M3 carries so much intrigue as there are a lot more on the road due to Audi's limited RS production. That is testament to what a good car they are.

I'm torn between transmmission. Hated my old S4 Tip which changed gear when it felt like and left me stranded a few times but the DCT in manual doesn't do that right? I hate having the car hoverring on say 5k revs and then it changes up a gear - does my head in. Leaning towards a manual but like the idea of the DCT if it's that good.

What's your full spec and how do you find it?

I think I MUST have - EDC, Bluetooth, USB, privacy glass, Comfort Entry, 19" wheels, memory seats.

Any other essentials??

Cheers

Shane

There are some fans of the DCT - got a manual myself. Full spec, well it has got everything aside from the blind, TV, comfort and front parking sensors. Carbon leather trim looks great.

I'd say Bluetooth, USB and 19's are essential. The Harmon Kardon speakers are good, many covet the Individual setup but it is expensive and rare. If you can, get some form of speaker upgrade - HK is quite common.

The EDC I like because it makes it easier to sell on but if I'm honest I don't really use it.

They all have memory seats so that is one thing you don't need to look out for and what is more the seats are coded to the key so your missus can have a different key and the car will change to her settings.

They don't seem to have any ongoing problems - none of the "carbon build up' stories you hear about on the RS4 forums - true or not!! An RS4 was my other car of choice when I got the E92; I love the RS4 looks but the newer technology in the BMW sold me really.

Some good other opinions on here on them; Mac and Woppum also have M3s (Woppum has a newer model) and Biscuits and Golfer owned them previously too. In fact, Mac replaced one that was stolen with another - he liked it that much!

Oh, how do I find it. Ying and yang. Drive it sensibly and it just purrs along, swallowing fuel at an interesting rate, not really raising any blood pressure levels.

Set it up in M mode and it changes into quite an aggressive animal - above 6k rpm it gets even quicker and seemingly loves to rev. Not able to tell you too much about the handling as I've not really exploited that. Need to get on a track learning day really.

I'm sure, coming from an RS4, I don't need to mention fuel consumption ... or tyre consumption!!

I think you will end up getting the m3 and when you do start to wonder what all the fuss with the rs4 was about. I'm not saying that because I'm a fanboy, im as promiscuous as you can get when to comes to cars. when the rs4 first came out I blagged a days test drive. I say blogged because back then i Could never have afforded it and at the time was a dream car of mine. Then, I remember thinking it was like a bigger faster version of the golf r32 I had, which back then was praise indeed. a brute, blunt instrument but a hoot.

The m3 by contrast is a much sharper car. It turns sweeter, steers with the throttle on command, stays flat and generally feels nimbler even though it is too a bulky beast. Do not however mistake it for an out and out sports car, it's not. It has a nice and lazy (if not worked) v8, with loads of torque, comfy seats, quiet and very spacious. I feel posh in it. But, push it hard down your fave twisties and it keeps up with the best of them.

Only one car tempts me from the m3 and that's the c63 black, but as that's worth 3 times what my m3 is I'll leave that out this conversation.

Enjoy and lets see pics once you have done the deed ;)

Edited by Woppum

AMG for when you retire?

What planet are you on?

I could understand it if you were talking about an A8, however I always thought with more power than the M3 and quicker in a straight line the C63 AMG is far from a grandad a car.

I could be biased as collecting a new white C63 estate next sat am.

Out of curiosity what makes it a grandad a car?

AMG for when you retire?

What planet are you on?

I could understand it if you were talking about an A8, however I always thought with more power than the M3 and quicker in a straight line the C63 AMG is far from a grandad a car.

There is no denying that over the years big slush box mercs have made their own reputation. When bmw m models marketed themselves as sports cars that could carry 4-5 plus shopping. This was backed up by clever diff wizardry, sharp manual gear boxes, adaptive suspension, high revving engines that mde ferrari jealous and murderous ring times - whereas merc did little more than dump big lazy v8's in to their cars and added shiny new wheels. I also think branding has been an issue for them. Bmw have 2 halo cars. An m3 and an m5, both for differnent customers. Merc have c63, e63, cls63, clk63, clk black 63, s63, ml63, g63, s65 etc etc. you can never own the flagship as who knows what it is? They make too many of just another merc.

Of course over the last few years merc is fighting back and gaining market share , but to be honest until they put a dual clutch box in one of their cars I'm not interested. Although this is mighty tempting:

ad650fd59aab675dff8286e8cbe8f674.jpg

Edited by Woppum

I am not trying to slander today's crop of uber mercs, rather state why I believe they are not 'Perceived' as being as sharp a tool as the bmw for example. I have read the latest car clk 63 for example is much better than before, and look forward to trying it myself - however as I said until they change from torque converter to dual clutch I don't think I'll be sold.

I must be a deviation from the mean then @ 34

I think you probably are, but I wouldn't let that worry you.

Merc's reputation as an old man's car is as old as Skoda's reputation as a skip, and just as outdated IMO.

I had an E320 petrol saloon when I was 32. :grin:

P.S. On the original subject, I do honestly rate the B7 RS4 as a superb car, but it just strikes me as very dated now. My personal choice would be C63, but the M3 is almost certainly the best pure drivers' choice... and although it's a relatively old model it still looks fantastic in the flesh. There are so many decent ones out there for under thirty grand, if I was doing 10k per annum instead of 20k I'd be sorely tempted. +++

Edited by garcon

Can only really confirm what others have said, the E92/90 M3 is a cracking car. There are technically quicker cars, but as a package nothing really ticks so many boxes.

If I was to have another (and to be honest, it's a when not if) my MUST haves would be (in order): EDC, DCT, 19's, Bluetooth & USB, carbon leather trim and a speaker upgrade. Things that would be nice would be: Sun protection glass, comfort access, TV

Oh, double check it has Bluetooth & USB (an essential with iDrive IMO)

AMG for when you retire?

What planet are you on?

Just the general design and inerior. Love the C63 Black but not a fan. My wife's had 3 C Class (don't laugh) and I've hated all of them.

Looking at this but the guy wants a £2k deposit to hold it for me until he has his private plate removed. He sounds a nice guy but I may never see him again.

BMW M3 2dr Coupe 4.0 2008

Thoughts??

If I was to have another (and to be honest, it's a when not if) my MUST haves would be (in order): EDC, DCT, 19's, Bluetooth & USB, carbon leather trim and a speaker upgrade. Things that would be nice would be: Sun protection glass, comfort access, TV

I really don't understand the obsession with EDC. Had it on my old one, don't on the new. On my old one I played with a few times then just forgot about it - made sod all difference to anything. I made a point of ignoring ones without originally - foolish IMO. Unless you're a track demon I really don't see the the point of it for anything other than bragging rights.

For what it's worth I think the M3 is an awesome car. After my first one was nicked I struggled to find something else to match it - I really did not expect to end up in the same car..but they really are that good.

I'm no track god, but I do think EDC is worth having. On our lovely potholed roads, EDC set to COMFORT makes a huge difference. When on NORMAL or SPORT the car skits about and you can't get the power down as easily. Mid bend small ruts in the road unsettle the car.

Colleague has one without EDC (in fact, there's not one option on it!) and the 18's. I've driven it and it's okay, but think it would be better with it.

On the 'Ring I had it set to COMFORT 99% of the time.

I really don't understand the obsession with EDC. Had it on my old one, don't on the new. On my old one I played with a few times then just forgot about it - made sod all difference to anything. I made a point of ignoring ones without originally - foolish IMO. Unless you're a track demon I really don't see the the point of it for anything other than bragging rights.

For what it's worth I think the M3 is an awesome car. After my first one was nicked I struggled to find something else to match it - I really did not expect to end up in the same car..but they really are that good.

I have edc but set it to lights off (whatever that is) as I feel it best suits uk roads. Think it's soft, which means less skittish and keeps the back wheels on the Tarmac over even the roughest terrain. Bt to get the power down on off the liners too, squats and tugs. M3 is a wonderful car. If I had not believed it I would have sold and moved on. There is no replacement.

Hi all, A newbie to this forum after donkey's years on RS246.

Alright Shagga, the insurance paid out okay I take it?

Generally I have always thought buying the same car again is dangerous - one would always compare it to their original one and it will never be as good. The B7 RS4 was a corker, however as you have found there are more rough ones out there nowdays than mint ones.

I have edc but set it to lights off (whatever that is) as I feel it best suits uk roads. Think it's soft, which means less skittish and keeps the back wheels on the Tarmac over even the roughest terrain.

Yup, I was the same - other settings just seemed pointless.

Took mine out for a good spank today on deserted roads outside Edinburgh. My god, I do love the M3. Fuel consumption was a bit scary - from full a mere 10 miles later the gauge was showing no longer full. Just over 25% of an indicated tank in 50 miles ...

A young lad (13) at the "in-law" lunch I went to asked if it was an M3 so I took him out for a spin too. He said it was more comfy and sounded better than an Aston V12 he had a ride in once!