Passat 02 1.9 tdi - Turbo out of puff

jundy

Hi chaps,

wondering if i can be pointed in the right direction.

Last night i went and bought a passat privately. On the drive home i put my foot down on the motorway and got a big puff of black smoke followed by loss of turbo. I had to down a gear to maintain even 50 mph. Typical, thats the sort of luck i have.

Doing a search on here and few other forums i narrowed it down to MAF, boost leak or dead turbo.

Checking for boost leak is no probs as i can follow intake pipes etc. Now my question is how can i test the MAF without actually buying one for 70+ quid and then find out its not whats dead?

Ive read i can just disconnect it on some threads, but other threads say it will run worse so i wont be able to see if turbo spools up. Also i was thinking of trying to clean it so see if it works temporarily and identify the issue. What should i clean it with, WD40, Petrol, or i have some electrical solvent cleaner.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can clean the MAF CAREFULLYYYYY with carb cleaner from Halfords and a cotton bud. Remove the MAF, spray the stuff in the open end and gently clean off the excess. Wait for it to dry before plugging it back in and turning on.

You will also need to change the air filter, as black smoke sometimes indicates too much fuel/too little air.

You could also remove the pipes around the intake manifold and EGR and spary lots of the carb cleaner in there too. Wait for it to dry then start-up. It might take some churning and you'll have lots of smoke for about 30 seconds until the grim is burnt off. You could also, spary the stuff in as the engine is revved using the little straw and keeping the air pipes in place.

That should help - I know it helped ALOT on my 1.9 TDi Bora.

Hope this helps!

Fizz, friend in need and all that... cheers bud.

As long as i can get mine boosting again without issues i will get yours cleaned too.

On a side note i was ringing random places today to get prices for Air Flow Sensors and i got one from GSF for aprox £70. Was told to ring Euro car parts, i think in same area as GSF sticker lane side, and they gave me quote of £70 for Bosh or £35 OEM one.

Im thinking £35 aint too bad to of a shot, even though most will warn me to stay away :P

Managed to clean it last night.

First i couldnt find the MAF but then following the pipe from the turbo found that it was under the shield. Then i couldnt remove the bolts. Bluming 5 star Torx type screws, how awkward, so i had to remove the whole housing and unscrew the bolts with a pair of pliers and finally managing to clean it.

Seems to be boosting fine this morining

typically ive had another issue with it and that was upon turning the steering while going less then 1500 rpm there was a chirping upon turning.

Thinking it was the power steering pump or belt i did a google search and turned out to be the alternator pulley. Has some sort of weird clutch mechanism. How weird but has sorted that problem too.. So glad i didnt have to cough-up any big monies, pulley only cost £25 and fitting another £30 and were cooking on gas.

My luck to get all the common issues. :ffs: