Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrahamS4

S-tronic - way to invoke reverting from manual mode to S or D via paddles?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've checked the manual this time, so here's to hoping this is not a daft question.

When driving in S (or D) auto modes and using the paddles to shift (and therefore going into manual mode), is there a control sequence via the paddles to revert back to auto (S or D)?

I like down shifting with the paddles but then want to be able to flick it back into S without waiting for the box to figure I finished using the paddles.

Sometimes I am finding myself using the gear selector to move from S to D and back again to get out of manual mode, all a bit awkward. I am sure I read with DSG boxes holding the + paddle for two seconds reverted to auto but this does not work and there is no mention in the manual.

Is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

On the VW DSG box you just hold the right hand paddle for a few secs and it will revert back to either S or D. If you don't it will automatically revert back after 20secs.

I would assume the Audi S-Tronic is the same. If you look closely you will see the icon under the "+" symbol on the right hand paddle telling you so.

It was the VW DSG box I read this about, but the s-tronic on my S4 does not seem to behaive the same. I intuitively tried holding the plus paddle and also tried holding them both, before I even started checking the manual and the web.

It would be odd if you cant do what I'm after as otherwise it does seem to be a bit of a gap in functionality.

I'll have to live without if the s-tronic doesn't feature this but I'd be much happier if I find there is a paddle sequence to acheeve this. Using the gear selector is clumbsy and the automatic reverting is not as quick as I want it most of the time. Great when you do want to hold a gear or use the paddles again, but not if it was just a random paddle down shift or too (much smoother than the kickdown).

I can't be the first s-tronic driver to want to do this...

You could always get a manual and do exactly what YOU want to do at all times..............................:rolleyes:

You could always get a manual and do exactly what YOU want to do at all times..............................:rolleyes:

No I'm happy with the s-tronic. I've driven manuals for 15 years and I wanted a change. The upshifts when pressing on are something else, they make the car so much more capable in my opinion.

After reading you post found the following on Audi/VW forums: "holding the upshift paddle returns the transmission to automatic mode"

If this is not working with your S4, maybe it can be activated through the VAG-COM?

Maybe, that would be handy if possible. It is strange how it is functionality of some s-tronic models and not others.

My 2004 A3 DSG had the hold the upshift to return to auto, on all of the three gearboxes it had...............