10 Minutes Of Terror Starring Mike Tyson

Andy_Bangle

Absolute monster, it's not just the power of the punching, some of his speed of movement (See 2 min 27 sec onwards) and sheer aggression. Contrast that to the Klitschko brothers and their plodding pace.

It's quite shocking how long some of those referees let him carry on piling into people when they're obviously got absolutely no defence against him.

Probably. He might have an issue with Vlad for a while though because he's not stupid and could have muscled Mike for long enough to prod at his chin.

But in his very early days he was very potent indeed. He'd still not be in my Top 10. Aggression and brute force is a mere part of making a truly great heavyweight.

I always pay Tyson any plaudits through gritted teeth.

He did the sport a huge amount of damage in his time, with the Holyfield incident and his ultimate prison sentence for rape.

He's very much a reformed character now and I have much more time for listening to him, but in the past his dramatic victories easily mask what was a very troubled man.

Lennox Lewis would have murdered him at any stage in his career.

Lennox Lewis destroying Tyson and being called "The greatest heavyweight in history" - by George Foreman.

The state of Tysons face at the end of this wasn't pleasant, as you'll see. In my view it's what usually happens when someone with little more than sheer aggression meets a true great with a very heavy punch and outstanding boxing skills and strategy. He totally humiliated Tyson as far as I'm concerned.

aACmXGzw8Ro

One of the biggest hitters of all time along with Earnie Shavers.

However, it seems an apt time to show what happens when two of the best fighters of all time get in the ring together. It helps when they hate each other.

This is, in my opinion anyway, easily the best round of boxing ever televised. Total and utter brutality from start to finish. I watched this at the time and was almost hiding at times.

Oh and don't forget....THIS IS THE FIRST ROUND!

I give you Hagler v Hearns from 1985, otherwise known as "The War" :

qHqEUX2Vw6k

I still remember that Hagler/Hearns fight.

I feel sorry for current peeps who think the current crop is representative of boxing skill and never got to see how graceful and skillful those guys from the 70s and 80s were.

Re Lennox/Tyson - do you think Lewis would have found it so easy when Tyson was in his pomp (before death of his mentor)?he was a shadow of a fighter after that.

I think Lewis would have beaten Tyson at any stage in his career.

He's easily a top 10 of all time heavyweight and few boxing fanatics would have Tyson in their top 10.

Lewis would have been too clever for him in my opinion. A few people seem to look at Tyson and say "Ah well he was old by the time he fought Lewis".

They seem to forget he's a year younger than Lennox.+++

I agree on the current generation and the comment about skill. The 70's was the hey-day of the Heavyweights and will probably never be equalled. That's what marks Ali out for me, apart from the adversity he faced and overcame elsewhere - he fought all the legends. Tyson didn't have much in front of him in truth. Holmes was way past it, as was Spinks. Holyfield was his only real test before Lewis, and he failed it. TKO'd in one and DQ'd in the rematch. Not a glowing report.

It's often forgotten that he didn't even face Berbick for the title until his 30th fight. It's also easily forgotten he tested positive for marajuana after the Golota fight.

Hagler v Hearns was also in a golden period of course, though the middleweight (and Super-Middleweight) division has been luckier in having the likes of Jones, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Eubank, Benn and many more bring it to life in other decades. Shame it's so crap right now.

Welterweights could claim to have lived the best ever generation at that weight in the past decade. I think they'd have a good claim to that. Mayweather, as much as i hate to say it, could have probably walked through everyone in history at his weight. Still hope he gets his head removed one day.