Why do people still smoke (tobacco)?

Mook

for the same £30 a week I could (every day) have 3 spliffs a day. Or an e a day. Or 1 line of coke. Or 6 lines of amphetamine. Or 2 pints a day. Or 2 large bottles of diet coke. Or 2 Ginster pasties. Or a Big mac and small chips. Or 4 solid home made coffees's.

I've got £120/week to spend. Choices, choices.

I'll have one from the top, two from middle and one from anywhere else please Carol.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poisoning the very organs that keep you alive, stinking of an ashtray, rotten breath, expensive, grossly anti-social, probably responsible for an extremely high percentage of NHS beds (?) and utterly vile. Seriously, what's to like about it? :roflmao:

I've never smoked and think it's disgusting but I do acknowledge it's a personal choice plus they do a fair bit on tax to cover some of the NHS costs. In my opinion alcohol causes much more dame in our society that smoking does.

I do wish they would legalise drugs too, so we can get some tax revenues off the addicts and put the dealers out the game

Poisoning the very organs that keep you alive, stinking of an ashtray, rotten breath, expensive, grossly anti-social, probably responsible for an extremely high percentage of NHS beds (?) and utterly vile. Seriously, what's to like about it? :roflmao:

I already covered this :grin:

Because it makes you look cool.

Nice new Avatar, MrMe :)

I'm completely fecked then :roflmao:

Nah, just playing to the odds game like smokers do. The odds are much wider, but that doesn't dissolve the risk

Smoking is bad, the odds stacked in the Reapers favour. All I was attempting to do is point that nearly everything that we enjoy can have an associated risk. A risk that smokers ignore, and plenty of people with risk pursuits also choose to ignore.

Human nature is self destructive, and all I was implying is that gene manifests itself in different ways in different folk.

I used to love smoking.

Smoked heavily, too - around 40 a day at my peak. Mostly, it has to be said, hand rolled - I preferred the flavour and it was certainly a lot cheaper, especially as I'd buy cheap tobacco whenever we went on holiday.

I was always of the mindset that I did lots of other dangerous activities (motorbikes and track days), and that the there was little chance of getting anything nasty from it until you were getting on a bit - being killed by a smokers condition before you had a chance to lose your marbles and sit in a puddle of your own piss for hours on end does have some attractions!

Anyway, at 36 years old, I had the big wake-up call - a smoking related illness very, very nearly killed me - and has left me with a heart that has lost 25% of its pumping efficiency. That will be with me for life - as will the multiple tablets I have to take every day and the chance that I'll need further operations in the future.

So, although tobacco tastes good and feels good to smoke, I'd advise everyone to give it up - and those who don't smoke I'd advise that they should never get tempted to start. I'm not an evangelistic ex-smoker by any means and will defend the rights of those who do smoke to continue smoking (I still don't support the ban on smoking in pubs).

I have never smoked neither. Never will, not even on a trip to Amsterdam. Some of my mates do, but I just didn't see the point in burning £2 or £3 a day when it was that amount.

I have mild asthma, so don't want to aggravate it. Didn't want to smell like a fag neither. However, going out to pubs usually put paid to that.

MY eldest's friends have started smoking. She hasn't as she also doesn't see the point, doesn't like the smell and the hideous cost.

I remember a trip to the Dam about 15 years ago with my best mate. I was the only one could roll so produced the first, ahem, cigarette, which was dispatched. Strong stuff over there and neither of us smoked their, ahem, cigarettes, so my attempt to produce the second took me half an hour and ended up being an inch long. I don't think I've laughed as much ever!

Wouldn't do that in the the Dam now though - too much into my fitness to want to struggle to get a good breath for a few weeks but I must say it was quite good fun.

I gave up about 12 years ago. I wasn't a heavy smoker but I'm glad I did. The hardest bit was going to the pub with mates and the urge was hard to resist. My reasons for packing in were derived from a taking an objective look at what I was doing. Something like this...

Each to their own I say but it is a ludicrous life choice. Many kids make a wrong choice as teens and are caught in a lifetime of addiction but imagine if you didnt smoke and someone offered you a cigarette and you had no knowledge of the possible consequences (just like most kids) , and then were told it would it would cost you a fortune, put you at serious risk of dying a horrible early death, makes you stink and unattractive and if you try to give up you can't. As a right-thinking adult you'd have to me mad to accept that fag and start smoking, as a kid you didnt think in those terms because you lacked the judgement to do so. Whiz forward 20 or 30 years and many adults ignore the risks of smoking and justify addiction as "enjoyment" or saying there are riskier activities but it still remains a ludicrous stupid life choice now made harder by the mind-tricks addiction can play. If I came along now with a magic pill which would instantly cure you from nicotine addiction so you never smoked again , would you take it ? Some might not take it unless they were told it would make them richer, healthier and more attractive. Those that didn't would surely be idiots.

2 things about smokers.........

1) The amount of breaks they take during the day...............

2) They are a hardy breed - going out in all weathers to the smoking shelter to get their nicotine fix. (and that's enjoyment?)

I like that they do 1) coz when I wanna "flex" 1/2 an hour here or there no one can say jack! ;)