Anti-Islam film protests

Andy_Bangle

It's difficult for us to understand I think, we come from a (normally) civilised society, and more and more people seem to be moving away from religion, it's an outdated concept these days, and science offers many more answers.

I find it difficult to comprehend that anyone in a modern society would still believe in any kind of god if I'm honest, and some of the more extreme religions seem like they must be a pain in the ar5e, having to do fasting, pray who knows how many times a day etc.

Having said that, I still respect people's rights to believe in whatever they want to, so long as they respect my rights not to, and don't expect me to follow their customs just because they believe in them.

Religion itself isn't the cause of most of the troubles in the world, it's just used as the excuse for most of them, by what I perceive to be neanderthals, under developed people that simply want a reason to kill and maim, if it wasn't religion they'd find another 'cause'.

Depicting images of the Prophet is apparently the ultimate insult, now I don't know what the ultimate insult to me would be, but the result of it wouldn't be death and destruction.

I wonder if the producers of the film thought about the lives that have been lost as a result of it existing? I wouldn't want that on my conscience personally, and no, it's not really their fault, but if they hadn't made it...

Makes my blood boil, CH4 had to cancel the second episode of "Islam - The untold story" becuase of death threats. I watched the first episode and it was very tame, but it showed the faith to be completely made up by the Arabs to control the empire. Which most religions are, completely made up boll0X.

In about 300 years time Islam will be gone, the same way as Christianity has, but how many people will die in the meantime.

Edited by craigyb

The problem I have with this kind of story is that I really cannot understand how people can be so short sighted, having never had any particular religious belief, I cannot understand how it drives people to kill and can only assume that people driven in this way are in a similar class mentally to the guy in Norway, i see no difference, killing in the name of religion doesnt make you any less unhinged.

Can't say I disagree with much of what is said here.

A huge irony for me is that the vast majority of the eminent scholars in Islam had espoused that it is entirely wrong (unislamic indeed) to risk any harm to innocent people in such protests which do nothing to achieve any useful objective.

It also flies completely in the face of the example set by the man whose honour they are pro-porting to uphold.

The death of a US diplomat who was actually sympathetic the Arab Spring just highlights the madness of these idiots.

Sadly there is a strong cultural bias for illiterates to rise up in "righteous indignation" usually without even quite understanding what it is they are burning that effigy about.

Showing images of the Prophet seems to have become a major taboo nowadays - and yet there are plenty of paintings of his face either now defaced or else carefully hidden away which were painted near-contemporaneously and when there was an Islamic empire.....but thar be dragons.....

There does seem to have been malificent intent about the film - as apparently vocals were dubbed after filming to inflame but deary me something that would have disappeared into the annals of obscurity will now be searched for repeatedly I suspect (shakes head)

The Ch4 programme is a funny one. Of course it was wrong to scrap it based on death threats but if you will accept I am trying to be as objective as possible here I can tell you it really was a pile of steaming dogsh*te. The guy is an amateur historian whose main career is writing fiction about vampire hunters and some of the more "controversial" themes (Mecca not being mentioned anywhere etc etc) but actually blatantly false.

It was well well below Ch4 usual standards and should have been scrapped for being poorly researched misleading crap.

A huge irony for me is that the vast majority of the eminent scholars in Islam had espoused that it is entirely wrong (unislamic indeed) to risk any harm to innocent people in such protests which do nothing to achieve any useful objective.

It also flies completely in the face of the example set by the man whose honour they are pro-porting to uphold..

Exactly.

I don't think our own media are helping this because the balance of publicity is very much towards showing those that the prophet would clearly not approve of.

Yet, as is shown above and as has been covered in smaller volume, there are a greater proportion of people who strongly oppose the actions of the minority. They are appalled by what is happening.

However, these aren't people you can negotiate with or talk to. They're looking for a reason, any reason, to propagate violence against the West - and they don't care who gets caught in the crossfire. We'll never understand their motivation because we haven't been brought up to hate the West. They have. They've been taught that anyone who has a different opinion is a heathen who deserves the ultimate punishment. If you've had that drummed into you from birth then you'll believe it and you'll support it.

Those that aren't in the bracket above are those without a cause or much of a life. It's an excuse to riot, mame and murder. No different to the London riots in that respect - it's just that establishment isn't the target but it may as well be.

Some people simply lead entirely different lives to us and don't hold anything like the same values. Their actions are unrecognisable to us - but equally so is their complete distain for the actions of the West who've been brought up to think certain other things are right. They'll never understand that but we see it as entirely normal - because we've been brought up to believe so.

Nothing will change the culture or opinion of these people - because they don't want change.