Audi S8 - eh?

NewNiceMrMe

What have Audi done with the facelifted or new S8?

I saw one this morning on a 61 plate (sorry I don't have a picture, but I was driving through a river at the time).

I liked the S8's. I didn't even know there was a new shape out if I'm honest. When I first saw it I thought it was an A5 from the front, then realised it was bigger. Then it passed and I got a good look at the rear - and there was the S8 badge and sure enough there were the quad pipes.

But, it looked so bloody bland. I really liked the wide-mouth version but this one looks like someone has taken a stanley knife to a few corners and made it all rather, well, blocky or strangely sculpted.

p.s. if these means old S8's have plummeted even further, I'm going looking!

This one was black. The weather is horrific here this morning and I tried thinking that might not have helped, but it just looked very average indeed.

The only reason I even noticed it was because of how slow I was having to drive and the fact he passed across the front of me in another line of slow moving traffic - and was in the wrong lane.

I think the wide-mouthed S8 has real presence and also looks good from the back, but this was just like a slab of Korean-styled metal with no style, substance or presence at all. Very disappointing.

Yup. That's what I test drove and I was very impressed (surprisingly so, as I never thought I would be).

Not a lot of 58/59 choice around on Autotrader at present. You can get a 2006 car with 44k on the clock for £22k though and that's a lot of car for the money. I wouldn't want one that old though.

Yep 06-59 was the D3 S8, I had an 08 plate facelifted version which I sold for £40k about 22 months ago. I actually saw it again at the Audis in the Park meet a few weeks back and had a chat with the new owner, he didn't like the car but I fell in love with it again.

I really like those D3's.

Would have one if I had the cash and could run it!

What have Audi done with the facelifted or new S8?

I saw one this morning on a 61 plate (sorry I don't have a picture, but I was driving through a river at the time).

Chris it won't have been an S8 as there were none registered on a 61 plate. Press and dealer demos would have been June July 2012 at the very earliest

The previous gen S8 and W12 are beautiful machines and fantastic buys second hand if you don't care about fuel consumption. I was only looking at a W12 yesterday, FASH, 100k on the clock, 9k

www.pistonheads.com/sales/4205083.html

Edited by Ian_C

Chris it won't have been an S8 as there were none registered on a 61 plate. Press and dealer demos would have been June July 2012 at the very earliest

The previous gen S8 and W12 are beautiful machines and fantastic buys second hand if you don't care about fuel consumption. I was only looking at a W12 yesterday, FASH, 100k on the clock, 9k

www.pistonheads.com/sales/4205083.html

July 2012 was a few months ago.

£9K for a W12........... feck me!

July would make it a 12 plate surely as were on 62 plates now

Good point. :rolleyes:

And who wants to drive around in a car that does 15 mpg with fuel at £1.40 a litre

The new one has cylinder shutdown and all sorts of extra economy gizmos. but saying that, buying an £90K car, economy wouldn't be one of the reasons why you bought it.

Audi : AUDI A8 6.0 W12 QUATTRO 4DR TIP AUTO 2005

Ian, it was an S8, trust me. I didn't fecking imagine it and I've got better things to do than think of a low selling Audi model, a facelift or model change I didn't even fecking know had happened, and then come on here and chastise my fecking self for not buying an older model when I had the chance.

It was a 61 plated, new shape, Audi S8. Fact. Now go put that in your fecking bible you patronising little get.

p.s. how, why, whatever, I don't care. But it was a 61 plate Audi S8. Either that, or he's spent a fecking fortune adding 4 exhausts and badges just to make it look shite.

Edited by MrMe

In fact....

One of the advantages of having a constantly running HD camera in your car is that you can prove such things.:grin:

First...here is the Audi S8, new shape, crossing the front of my car...

attachment.php?attachmentid=46951&stc=1&d=1348594148

Now, as the rear comes into view, I think it is plain to see I did not imagine it and I did indeed see a NEW shape Audi S8.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46952&stc=1&d=1348594156

So there. Shove that in your pipe Ian.:roflmao:

Okay, okay, so it would appear it was a fecking 12 plate. But hey, I was so dismayed with it's blandness I obviously didn't quite pick up on that.:roflmao:

:bike:

p.s. come on though, anyone has got to agree it looks shite. How missable? No wonder the plate didn't register.

post-6775-137914487447_thumb.jpg

post-6775-13791448745_thumb.jpg

I find I'm repeating myself. What's all this stuff about Audi S cars needing to be bling laden in yer face chav chariots? I used to desire a D2 S8 because it was barely discernible from the standard A8.

And I really don't see how the new model is any less bland than the D3. In fact the grille and cocklights add a bit too much bling for me.

No, that's not what I'm saying Garcon. Of course you don't want an S8 to an 'in yer face chav chariot'.

However, nor do you want it to be as completely bland as that which is now evidenced above.

You want it to have at least some presence, and perhaps a hint of performance - but this had none of that. Even the exhausts were black (I think that's an option). There was no sense of width or power, nothing like that. It could have been any other large saloon car.

The D3 had more discernable arches, certainly looked much better at the rear (this is very wedged) and nothing like as boxy as the new one.

I don't know if you've seen a new one but in the flesh I'll be amazed if you come back to this thread and say you thought it looked anything other than bland. In fact unless you were in the type of almost static position that I was, you'd probably miss it completely. I'm sure that might come in handy at times, but is that what you want all the time out of an S8 at that price?

Isn't the blandness the same in BMW now? I saw a black 12 plate m5 today and had to double take - it could have been an m sport....

On that one - black does the new M5 no favours at all in my opinion, but I would struggle say it could be any other M Sport. The wheels, arches and rear make it unmistakeabley an M in my opinion (but as I say, there's no doubt black flattens it an awful lot).

I've seen several new shape A8s, I'm not a fan of the styling but I think they have reasonable 'big car' presence. Not really any different to the 7 series. Granted both the XJ and S Class have more presence (and are far better looking).

I think a significant factor in all this is that styling of the standard models has become much more aggressive because every 2.0 diesel company car driver wants the world to think he's driving an S/M/AMG.

Ian, it was an S8, trust me. I didn't fecking imagine it and I've got better things to do than think of a low selling Audi model, a facelift or model change I didn't even fecking know had happened, and then come on here and chastise my fecking self for not buying an older model when I had the chance.

It was a 61 plated, new shape, Audi S8. Fact. Now go put that in your fecking bible you patronising little get.

p.s. how, why, whatever, I don't care. But it was a 61 plate Audi S8. Either that, or he's spent a fecking fortune adding 4 exhausts and badges just to make it look shite.

Hahaha someone pass him a ladder