Classic Car As A Company Car

forresthills

So, as the title suggests....what would you choose?

The rules are simple. It must be more than 15 years old to qualify (according to HMRC) and for the purposes of this thread must be valued at less than £15,000. If the current value is more than 15K then that is the basis for its tax valuation. But if it's less, then they take the original purchase price, which for a car only just 15 years old might not be that much of a tax advantage. But if your car is from the 1960's say, the original list price could be ridiculously low, just a few thousand or even in the hundreds.

The final tax calculation is based on engine size, ranging from 20% to 35% from memory, so you purchase price new could be key. There is more info here if you are interested (an old Telegraph feature) Buying classics: King of the company car park, or joker? - Telegraph

I'm not due to change until next year, but this has really got me thinking...would a classic car as everyday runner be practical. In my case my wife has a family car, so mine could be a little more fun (but must be good for £25k + a year....maybe this isn't such a good idea after all)

Ignore all that. What would you have? I'm thinking Porsche 911 circa 1960's...the company can foot the maintenance bill. I wonder how much restoration you could put down to maintenance in the eyes of HMRC ( ;) )

Early 911's are not cheap to buy these days, an original 1970 911S will set you back £95,000... even a lowly T in good condition is touching £40k.

Annual maintenance isn't too bad at all, although they take 11 litres of oil....! :)

80's 911s are a lot cheaper, but were in the mid £20ks when originally priced.

I like the idea of a classic company car, but would probably go British a they were cheap back in the day. TR6?

No need to look any further.........

Used JENSEN Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK

:grin:

or

This lovely V12.......

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201238485621680/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/15000

/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/make/daimler/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/3/radius/1501/postcode/pe29rs?logcode=p

Early 911's are not cheap to buy these days, an original 1970 911S will set you back £95,000... even a lowly T in good condition is touching £40k.

Annual maintenance isn't too bad at all, although they take 11 litres of oil....! :)

80's 911s are a lot cheaper, but were in the mid £20ks when originally priced.

I like the idea of a classic company car, but would probably go British a they were cheap back in the day. TR6?

Maybe a 912? I was sort of suggesting you could buy something that need work and would thus have a lower current market value....and hide the restoration in the maintenance costs. But that would be dishonest and probably illegal...and I would never do that!

Depends on your tastes.

A lot of the obvious stuff would be over 15 grand in the right condition.

A few that I'd consider:

BMW 635CSI

Merc CL / S Class coupe

Classic Range Rover

Opel Monza

Bentley Turbo R/Mulsanne

There are a few 911 3.2 Carreras for that kind of money, but I'd be wary.

When you think about it, there is quite a lot of choice. You can end up with a lot of car for money with no worries about the running/maintenance costs. Which might be the case with some of those.

I guess practicality and the real world aren't the point of this thread. I want the Tyresmoke massive to come up with those left field solutions that make you think....ummmm now that is a pain the arse car that I could put up with breaking down very other week, cause when its running fine and the sun is shining there is no place I'd rather be. As opposed to the reality which is queuing at the QE2 Bridge each night, wondering why I bother.

Forget about me. What would you choose?