Iphone5 first impression

billy2shots

Just download the ringtones app.

Choose your song, use the sliders to select exactly which part of the song you want (usually the chorus) assuming you don't want the whole song of course, and hey presto, job done.

I have the Fresh Prince of Bell-Air as my ring tone, cos I is wicked aaiiight!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I want a ringtone I go to iTunes, select ringtones, and buy it.

Most music tracks are in there as ringtones.

I'm not sure what's difficult about that?

You're talking about converting a track to make it into a ringtone - but have you looked to see if it's available as a ringtone to begin with? Or, as Tipex says, get the ringtones app. It really really really isn't hard to figure out.

My 9 year old daughter has had an iPhone for a year and I don't think she's ever asked how to do anything on it.

Last night I waited for the phones battery to completely finish before I charged it for the first time. Like every other phone I have owned that resulted in the phone turning itself off. Plugged in the charger and left it for 14 hours. Unplugged it this morning and the fecking thing was on. Why has it done that? So it's first and most important charge of its life was while the phone was on. Will that affect battery life at all?

Your living in the dark ages in relation to batteries, its not the days of Ni-Cad or NI-Mh anymore you know. Li-Ion (almost all modern phones have them) don't need to be completely charged and discharged in fact doing this all the time does more damage to their life not less.

Edited by CarMad

When I want a ringtone I go to iTunes, select ringtones, and buy it.

Most music tracks are in there as ringtones.

I'm not sure what's difficult about that?

You're talking about converting a track to make it into a ringtone - but have you looked to see if it's available as a ringtone to begin with? Or, as Tipex says, get the ringtones app. It really really really isn't hard to figure out.

My 9 year old daughter has had an iPhone for a year and I don't think she's ever asked how to do anything on it.

Again your all missing the point. Why should I have to pay for a ringtone when I already have the track on my phone. That doesn't make any sense unless you have money to burn.

As for 'download the app, it really is that simple'.

I can only presume you haven't done this. All the app does is let you cut 30 seconds of a song ( iPhones only let you use that much!). You still have to fire up a computer go into iTunes, save your cut track and then install it to your phone.

This doesn't bother you guys but can be very annoying when your used to pressing 2 buttons on your phone and then it's done.

What happens when your out and about down the pub for example. Do you carry your lap top everywhere with you.

Billy, I 100% agree with you on this.

I think some people are mis-understanding what you're saying or being deliberately obtuse. I like Apple products in general (I have an i-Mac, Air and iPad) and generally find them more intuitive than their rivals products. The iPhone just doesn't seem to live up to those same principles. My wife and mother both have one and whenever I've used them them I've found them to be slightly awkward and also spent ages searching through settings menus to make a simple change - don't forget these are menus I'm familiar with from the computers.

It's akin to then finally introducing a right click to the computer mouse a few years back. Prior to that you had to hold a key and press the mouse or use the toolbar menu to bring up the "right click functions". Different to a PC yes, but not as quick, simple or intuitive - just different.

Personally I just don't think they are very good phones. They sell in the billions - fine, they have an awful lot of cool features - fine, but they are most definitely not the most intuitive or best working phone you can buy. The ringtone scenario is a great example - solution? = "just go to iTunes and buy the ringtone". Ching, ching, there goes the till again :rolleyes:

Edited by Busby

Exactly Busby, it's Apple making things long winded so users will part with their cash for an easier solution.

I'm a little disappointed and thought TSN members were above the regular fanboys. Why people just can't say the ringtone example is a fair point and have to use the stock defence of 'my 76 year old mum' 'my 9 year old' etc etc.

Just because I own something doesn't automatically make it the best thing in the world. I would rather be honest and call a spade a spade. Which comes back to Arch's earlier point about researching. If people can't give honest feedback then research is pointless.

Again your all missing the point. Why should I have to pay for a ringtone when I already have the track on my phone. That doesn't make any sense unless you have money to burn.

In that case, you should have looked into ringtones and the iPhone better, and I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be awkward when I say that.

I can only presume you haven't done this. All the app does is let you cut 30 seconds of a song ( iPhones only let you use that much!). You still have to fire up a computer go into iTunes, save your cut track and then install it to your phone.

It's a ringtone. Do you leave your phone 30 seconds before answering it? I don't quite see what the problem with a 30 second ringtone is!

What happens when your out and about down the pub for example. Do you carry your lap top everywhere with you.

If I was in this scenario I probably wouldn't be downloading and installing ringtones in all honesty, or doesn't it kind of defeat the object of going into a 'social' environment?

The you have the millions and millions of apps to download, a lot of which are free, that'll keep you entertained if you really do want to play on your iPhone in the pub.

In that case, you should have looked into ringtones and the iPhone better, and I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be awkward when I say that.

It's a ringtone. Do you leave your phone 30 seconds before answering it? I don't quite see what the problem with a 30 second ringtone is!

If I was in this scenario I probably wouldn't be downloading and installing ringtones in all honesty, or doesn't it kind of defeat the object of going into a 'social' environment?

The you have the millions and millions of apps to download, a lot of which are free, that'll keep you entertained if you really do want to play on your iPhone in the pub.

Yeah, that's the first thing that pops into my head when choosing a new phone. "What's the ringtone setting process like"'

Regarding the 30s. It's the fact you have to edit/crop a song to fit the 30 second window, again adding time and effort to what should be a very simple process.

The pub was an example hence why I wrote EXAMPLE.............!

The point is you are away from your lap top. You could be waiting in the car for some reason or in the airport or on a train or coach etc etc. (inbe4ialwayshavemylaptopwithme).

It's fine, I find some aspects of this phone annoying, you guys don't.

Billy, I 100% agree with you on this.

I think some people are mis-understanding what you're saying or being deliberately obtuse. I like Apple products in general (I have an i-Mac, Air and iPad) and generally find them more intuitive than their rivals products. The iPhone just doesn't seem to live up to those same principles. My wife and mother both have one and whenever I've used them them I've found them to be slightly awkward and also spent ages searching through settings menus to make a simple change - don't forget these are menus I'm familiar with from the computers.

It's akin to then finally introducing a right click to the computer mouse a few years back. Prior to that you had to hold a key and press the mouse or use the toolbar menu to bring up the "right click functions". Different to a PC yes, but not as quick, simple or intuitive - just different.

Personally I just don't think they are very good phones. They sell in the billions - fine, they have an awful lot of cool features - fine, but they are most definitely not the most intuitive or best working phone you can buy. The ringtone scenario is a great example - solution? = "just go to iTunes and buy the ringtone". Ching, ching, there goes the till again :rolleyes:

I'm not being obtuse. My daughter has used an iPhone for a year without a single problem. It's a simple fact. Personally I find them very intuitive, but as with everything it's a case of getting used to a new device - and it strikes me that Billy just wants to slag the phone off constantly and nothing you, I or anyone else will say is going to change what he thinks about his new acquisition.

If I had got the number of complaints he had, I'd have just sent it back by now. As a smartphone it is the worlds best seller (by a collosal margin) for a reason and its not the usual rubbish most people who don't want an iPhone spout (the sheep argument).

The iPhone isn't for everyone though. Billy sounds like the type to whom a personalised ringtone is important, so perhaps he should go buy something else. To me, it's an irrelevance and I'm more interested in the indepth functionality of a smartphone and how I can make it work for me.

If I'm investing in a completely new type of device that is going to be with me for a length of time, then importing contacts really isn't an issue to me. I'll put an hour or two into doing what is needed to get it all set up nice and cleanly anyway (because as anyone knows, such imports of data never quite give you a 'clean' database of contacts). I can't see how downloading Facebook and Twitter would be a problem to me either. It takes seconds - and you can pick from a mass of apps for each.

I'd rather not have apps preinstalled as it happens - I like to pick and choose what I want on my phone.

My point is, all the points raised seem very very minor in the scheme of things. This is a £500+ state of the art communications device - and we're talking about customising fecking ringtones and making them last more than 30 seconds!

Billy, I don't think anyone on here (certainly not in this thread) is a "fanboy". That's a pretty lame accusation to throw about just because people don't agree with you and everyone else doesn't have the problems you do. We're all big boys on here, not school kids, and I respect my fellow members for saying it as it is when I need advice. I have rarely been let down by that (okay, one occasion with an Audi...).

Send it back. You've clearly made your mind up so why put us through the ringer (pun intended) any more?+++

Edited by MrMe

Billy, I've not plugged my phone into my laptop for months and months, maybe even a year. You're suggesting an iPhone needs to be regularly plugged into a laptop to do anything of use - it doesn't.

Now your just quoting out of context. Being away from the laptop was in answer to you saying why would you need to use your phone in a social setting.

The ringtone is not a big deal as you say, the reason we are still talking about it is because you and other members feel there is nothing wrong with the process which is quite clearly bloody minded. Any other smartphone or most 10 year old phones would let you select a track you have on the phone and use as a ringtone without the need to plug it into a laptop or as you stupidly suggest 'buy the ringtone on iTunes'

As for just wanting to slag it off and I should just get rid of it. What car are you driving at the moment?

I said in another thread that I fancied a change and that's why I upgraded to this phone. I didn't think it was any better or worse than it competitors. Different yes, and I will have to accept that it does things in a different way. What I won't accept is when people say it does everything so simply or disagree that it can be long wonder to do certain things.

I'm not being obtuse. My daughter has used an iPhone for a year without a single problem. It's a simple fact. Personally I find them very intuitive, but as with everything it's a case of getting used to a new device - and it strikes me that Billy just wants to slag the phone off constantly and nothing you, I or anyone else will say is going to change what he thinks about his new acquisition.

If I had got the number of complaints he had, I'd have just sent it back by now. As a smartphone it is the worlds best seller (by a collosal margin) for a reason and its not the usual rubbish most people who don't want an iPhone spout (the sheep argument).

The iPhone isn't for everyone though. Billy sounds like the type to whom a personalised ringtone is important, so perhaps he should go buy something else. To me, it's an irrelevance and I'm more interested in the indepth functionality of a smartphone and how I can make it work for me.

If I'm investing in a completely new type of device that is going to be with me for a length of time, then importing contacts really isn't an issue to me. I'll put an hour or two into doing what is needed to get it all set up nice and cleanly anyway (because as anyone knows, such imports of data never quite give you a 'clean' database of contacts). I can't see how downloading Facebook and Twitter would be a problem to me either. It takes seconds - and you can pick from a mass of apps for each.

I'd rather not have apps preinstalled as it happens - I like to pick and choose what I want on my phone.

My point is, all the points raised seem very very minor in the scheme of things. This is a £500+ state of the art communications device - and we're talking about customising fecking ringtones and making them last more than 30 seconds!

Billy, I don't think anyone on here (certainly not in this thread) is a "fanboy". That's a pretty lame accusation to throw about just because people don't agree with you and everyone else doesn't have the problems you do. We're all big boys on here, not school kids, and I respect my fellow members for saying it as it is when I need advice. I have rarely been let down by that (okay, one occasion with an Audi...).

Send it back. You've clearly made your mind up so why put us through the ringer (pun intended) any more?+++

I agree with some of what you say - certainly about returning it. Years ago I lasted three days with a Motorola before it went back as I just couldn't get along with it. Personally I know I'd do the same if I ever bought an iPhone - which is why I wouldn't get one!

Quoting that your daughter (nine years old?) is using it without an issue isn't too relevant as I'm sure the things she uses it for are quite different to how it would be used in a business setting. I use my phone to open/edit documents sometimes and that function alone is somewhere between impossible and annoying on the iPhone.

I disagree completely about why most people flock to buy them. I think there is a sheep mentality where iPhones are concerned and it is branded/marketed very well indeed. It's certainly not because they are the best device money can buy, it's because of the brand image and the coolness associated with them.

The point about ringtone is minor within itself but it is an example of something that is irritatingly long-winded to do on an iPhone compared to most other devices.

We all recognise that they have some cool features but I think it's equally important to recognise that they have some pretty terrible ones too. Swings and roundabouts.

I can accept that setting your own ringtone can take a little more time than on other devices, where you just click on the song and tick 'use as ringtone' that is a fair point.

However, how often do you change ringtones? I rarely change mine, I think i've only had two different tones in the last few years, but while the Apple way of doing it might be more complicated/long winded, it's also ends up with better results, and it's not exactly difficult or time consuming.

When you want a certain song as your ringtone, and you choose it as such on your generic non fruit based device, you don't get to select which bit of the song you use, it just plays from the start, personally I prefer to choose exactly which part of the song I want, normally the chorus.

And phones never ring for more than 30 seconds anyway, if the caller hasn't hung up, the answer phone will have kicked in anyway.

You can pick holes in any device, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, it sounds like the iphone isn't for you, in the same way I can't abide Android devices.

The ringtone issue has been blown out of proportion. It seems Busby is the only one that understood it was an example to prove a point I made earlier

Nothing to do with getting to grips with it. It's very long winded to do simple things which goes against what people say.

I know it will get better in time, I'm just a little disappointed at the minute.

The ringtone issue would have been over if people had said 'Yeah it's not as easy as on other devices and is more long-winded than needs to be'.

Instead I got responses like bellow, and my elderly relative or my young child etc etc.

Absolute bollocks.:roflmao:

I will get used to it and will probably grow to love it. I will however not be blind to it's faults.+++

Edited by billy2shots

As for just wanting to slag it off and I should just get rid of it. What car are you driving at the moment?

That's good! I liked that.:roflmao:

But I'm keeping mine because I've lost a shitload of money on it and I couldn't find something (at the right price for mine, and the new car) that justified chopping it. There is also the small fact that I do about 4,000 miles a year right now and I have an alternative vehicle to use if need be (and if I can get the keys off her).:roflmao:

I said in another thread that I fancied a change and that's why I upgraded to this phone. I didn't think it was any better or worse than it competitors. Different yes, and I will have to accept that it does things in a different way. What I won't accept is when people say it does everything so simply or disagree that it can be long wonder to do certain things.

You're not biting then.:roflmao:+++

Quoting that your daughter (nine years old?) is using it without an issue isn't too relevant as I'm sure the things she uses it for are quite different to how it would be used in a business setting. I use my phone to open/edit documents sometimes and that function alone is somewhere between impossible and annoying on the iPhone.

I'd say it was entirely relevant, because you said it wasn't intuitive. The fact a 9 year old can pick it up and use it without ever asking a question would say it is. You said nothing about business settings etc, and nor has Billy (other than contacts). The response was directly in relation to you saying it wasn't intuitive - not the application of it in a particular environment.

I disagree completely about why most people flock to buy them. I think there is a sheep mentality where iPhones are concerned and it is branded/marketed very well indeed. It's certainly not because they are the best device money can buy, it's because of the brand image and the coolness associated with them.

It's branded and marketed brilliantly. But if something is crap, people don't buy it. It's why Rover went bust. I've tried Android devices, Blackberries (I have one too) and in my case it is easily the best device I could choose. Utterly reliable (in my case) and let's not forget as part of a stable of products that gel brilliantly, it's the obvious choice in combination (and I happen to think the same applies in isolation).

You're saying you'd not buy an iPhone because you know you'd not like it. So, does that mean you've not spent, say, a week with one? If not, how can you say with total conviction it isn't the best there is? You're saying Apple iPhone buyers are sheep. I'm saying you're a typical anti-Apple person by the sounds of it (and I'm not intending to be offensive with that, I'm simply going off the facts you've given to date - you might have had one for a week or more and decided it wasn't for you).

We all recognise that they have some cool features but I think it's equally important to recognise that they have some pretty terrible ones too. Swings and roundabouts.

Thing is Busby, I can't think of any of the 'terrible' features. What are they?

My over-riding point is that the sheep argument is tired and doesn't work - people will not buy shite if you label it gold.

I'm not taking the pi55 here but please someone explain this 'feature'.

I have turned the phone off to charge it for the night. I plug in the lightning connector and the little fecker turns itself on. No you ba5tard if I wanted you on I would have left you on, so I turn it off again.

Turn the power on at the socket and the w4nker turns itself on!

Yes yes I know it's not a big deal but seriously WTF.

I would give a slight counter argument, that an iPhone is not, IMO, at it's best out of the box.

However, Jailbroken is another story altogether and the fact that certain jailbreak features keep making their way into later incarnations of iOS serves to prove it could be better from the off. I'm not talking about getting apps for free either I mean proper decent tweaks from Cydia that I've bought that improve the operation no end.

Im sticking with my 4 for now, wifey had my 4S and I CBA to get a 5 right now as I don't see it as that worthwhile an 'upgrade'.

Isn't the pre-installed Facebook/Twitter apps argument redundant now anyway?

Ios 6 has integrated Facebook and Twitter functionality?

I jailbroke my iPhone 3G, and ended up re-installing the official firmware, initially it did add features that were missing, but with subsequent ios updates, it diminished the benefits hugely, and the biggest issue with Cydia etc, was they removed the single one thing that appealed to me about the iPhone most, it's rock solid stability, running Jailbroken firmware meant regular crashing, freezing etc, and I couldn't live with that.

I really don't see the point of a Jailbroken iPhone today, it adds almost nothing, the only usefull thing I could find was the springboard thing, so you could turn WiFi/Bluetooth etc on or off without having to exit apps and go into settings, other than that, I can't see anything useful any more.

I'm not taking the pi55 here but please someone explain this 'feature'.

I have turned the phone off to charge it for the night. I plug in the lightning connector and the little fecker turns itself on. No you ba5tard if I wanted you on I would have left you on, so I turn it off again.

Turn the power on at the socket and the w4nker turns itself on!

Yes yes I know it's not a big deal but seriously WTF.

I know the 'feature' you're referring to but I am struggling to see why it's a problem? I ask that genuinely.

If it is on (whether you switch it on, or the auto-on feature kicks on once it has a certain level of charge), then it's not lessening battery power because it's plugged into the mains.

So if you want it 'off' when it is charged, unplug it and switch it off. Problem solved.

What I'm saying is why is it such a problem that the phone switches on when charging? Honest question, I've tried thinking of a problem associated with it and can't think of one.

I actually like the fact it does it too - and I've a reason why. I've ran a phone totally flat before, many a time. So, you plug the phone in to charge it from flat, leave it and wait for it to charge. I've then picked the phone up and gone out - forgetting to switch it on. With the iPhone, you never get that. If it runs flat it'll switch on once it gets to a level of charge it needs.

Edited by MrMe

I think the issue is, that some people like to switch their phone off at night, so they aren't disturbed.

So if like me, you plug the phone in when you go to bed, I can see how it would be annoying.

Of course you could always just activate the 'Do Not Disturb' feature instead of turning it off, but people just get used to doing things, or just want to turn it off.