Iphone5 first impression

billy2shots

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen three IP5s today. I'm told they are palpably quicker than the normal 4 but they are quite long ... not in any hurry to upgrade (although mainly because this month I've had to buy my road tax, wedding outfit and wedding ring!).

Mine arrived today and although I've not had much time to mess about with it, it does feel a fair bit faster than my iPhone 4. The 5 is a bit longer but it's thinner and surprisingly light.

My number should port either tomorrow or Saturday (I was told it'd be Saturday 12th - err?) so I'll have more of a chance to use it then.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as a long-term sceptic of everything Apple, I thought I'd give my [brief] thoughts on the iphone 4S.

I've always avoided iphones as I hate itunes with a passion. However after 21 months of Galaxy S ownership, my contract is up for renewal shortly so I decided to buy a handset, swap my sim for a micro-sim and give it a go (I'll take out a 12 month sim only deal next month for peanuts).

I've always got along very well with my Galaxy S and Android however the latest S3 is funking huge, too big if you're a bloke in my opinion as it doesn't fit in your pocket. I decided on the 4S because, a) it was going to be much cheaper than a 5, b) none of my existing equipment is compatible with the new connector.

So after acquiring a handset of Mac (absoutely immaculate by the way, when he says stuff is as good as new, it really is), off I went.

Initially, I had a few problems. I found [find] the bluetooth capability bizarre, and not in a good way. I had a few issues getting it to sync. The screen is smaller than the Galaxy S and sometimes appeared fuzzy in comparison. I missed the 'back' button from the Galaxy. I hated the text input, being forced into using a qwerty kepyboard. I found it difficult to be accurate on the touch screen. I missed having several apps open and being able to switch using task manager. The lack of ease at being able to select custom ring and notification tones still annoys me.

However I have to say, it was a doddle to set up. It was very easy to find my way around it and in no time, I was comfortable with how it works. Texting using Siri saves a lot of time when no one is around, even though it needs careful checking.

A lot of the initial problems were down to me using a different phone. Once I got the hang of it, a lot of the problems disappeared or diminished. I still miss the larger screen of the Galaxy S but would still rather have the smaller iphone than the flat screen TV that is the S3.

The battery life of the 4S comes under some fire I've noticed. Well it could be my Galaxy S was approaching 2 year old but the battery on the 4S lasts a lot longer for me. Bluetooth, 3G and wifi are always on and whereas my Galaxy S would be flat by the end of the day, the iphone is still showing 30% battery.

So all in all, I'm very pleased with it. I thought I would hate it to be honest but I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to say "I'll never have another phone other than an iphone" like some, but I'm more than happy to keep it for a year and see what takes my fancy then.

The 5 is a bit longer but it's thinner and surprisingly light.

One of the first things I thought with the 5 is that its bigger yet lighter (no glass on the rear like the 4/4S) so actually thought it felt 'cheaper' or more like a Samsung.... Having said that I love the bigger screen and when directly compared to my other 4S is quicker +++

That was something else I forgot to mention. The Samsung always felt cheap to hold, the plastic back really was horrible.

And browsing on the 4S is so much faster than the Samsung. Same wifi etc however it just flies. Apps are showing I am getting the full 30mbs download speed on the iphone, the Samsung never got anything like that. Even on 3G it is quicker.

However I have noticed it loses the 3G signal a lot easier than the Samsung.

That was something else I forgot to mention. The Samsung always felt cheap to hold, the plastic back really was horrible.

And browsing on the 4S is so much faster than the Samsung. Same wifi etc however it just flies. Apps are showing I am getting the full 30mbs download speed on the iphone, the Samsung never got anything like that. Even on 3G it is quicker.

However I have noticed it loses the 3G signal a lot easier than the Samsung.

Stop blathering on about phones and find an M3 to test drive :crackpipe:

As Milo says (and others earlier on in the thread) time helps you see the pros as well as the cons.

The things that annoyed me then still do now if I'm honest as do a couple of other things. The sceen is no where near as accurate as my old device when pressing small icons such as "first unread message" etc. The wifi is strange, my old phone was quite accurate and I could see the signal strength drop as I moved away from the router to the point it losses signal. The IP5 shows full signal, full signal, full signal, nothing............ (the ... are just for you Luke).

The pros

The screen is clearer than my old phone and the pictures and video are of a better quality.

The battery life is great. I would class myself as a light to medium user. 5-6 calls a day, a few txt's, 30 mins 3g, 45mins wifi and listen to a few music tracks. On my old phone this would be a day and a half at best before needing a charge.

I can get 3 days of MY use from the IP5. I do only turn 3g or Wifi on when I need it though, bluetooth is on all the time.

The next plus point could also be seen as a weakness. It's a good size for keeping in my pocket. One day I will be cool enough to have it attached to my belt but yntil then I need something the fits in my pocket (bear in mind there isn't alot of space down there).

It's slim and light and due to the screen size remains a small phone compared to it's rivals. Apple however seem to have made the choice to be 1/2 inch behind when it comes to screen size. This is just about acceptable to me and I know I could never have lived with the older IPhones with 4inch screens.

Overall I don't hate it but nor wold I say it was better than what I had before (for my use). 7/10